Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So here's my current situation:
I currently have a 2011 Toyota Camry which works perfectly fine and has run into no issues during my ownership of it. On the other hand, I'm currently looking to buy my son a car for his birthday. We've currently found a 2015 Lexus ES 350 loaded with all the safety features one could possibly need. I recently canceled an order on a Model 3 that my son and I would both be sharing, but he would primarily be driving the Camry in order to get him the car we're currently looking into. Our current situation doesn't allow us to purchase both cars at once

One of the Tesla representatives at Tesla Cincinnati contacted me saying that even though I had canceled my order, he was still willing to offer me delivery of a Model 3 before the end of December if I happened to change my mind. I partially canceled my initial order in fear that I wouldn't be receiving it before the end of the year, thus not being able to receive the $7,500 tax incentive.

So now I'm in the situation of this:
Either
1) I can get the Model 3 and have my son drive the Camry for a while or
2) Keep the Camry and have him get the Lexus
I'm perfectly fine with the Camry but a Tesla always seemed like a good idea. My PRIMARY issue with Tesla is the repairs. I've heard nightmares of people having to wait months just to get a simple repair done on their car in the event of any damage. The nearest Tesla Body Shop to me is roughly a 5-hour drive.

• Funny
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
Toyota Camry.

ES350 = Lexus Camry.

Tesla Model 3.

Have driven all.

Not even the remotest comparison. Learjet vs. a Cessna 150. (Flown those, too.)

We have two Model 3s. A Model S before that. Reliability couldn’t quite match Lexus (my wife’s Lexus had zero repairs in ten years), but at least on par with our BMW and Audi experiences (which were quite good) ... perhaps better.

And, excellent experience with our local Service Center.

Buy the Tesla. No-brainer!

M3 -- no brainer. Enjoy.

btw: you don't say how old your son is, but if still wet-behind-the-ears, the Camry is a much safer car for him. Sure, it's boring and without pickup, but that's the point: less chance of him trying something stupid.

You're in a Tesla forum, so expect responses to be heavily weighted towards Tesla.

Having owned a Model 3 for almost 2 weeks I can tell you I never want to go back to gasoline/diesel vehicles again. Our other vehicle is an ICE and I just drove it again today, and found myself shaking my head at how ICE became the dominant form of transportation. We've spent a hundred years trying to minimize ICE deficiencies and in a short time electric propulsion has vastly exceeded it in almost every measurable category.

My advice: drive both and make a decision. As for support, depending on where you live it could take a bit longer than Toyota/Lexus as Tesla ramps up production and support services. There will be some growing pains, but for me, the difference between a Tesla and every other vehicle out there makes it worthwhile. I love it.

Reactions: GSP and ggnykk
So here's my current situation:
I currently have a 2011 Toyota Camry which works perfectly fine and has run into no issues during my ownership of it. On the other hand, I'm currently looking to buy my son a car for his birthday. We've currently found a 2015 Lexus ES 350 loaded with all the safety features one could possibly need. I recently canceled an order on a Model 3 that my son and I would both be sharing, but he would primarily be driving the Camry in order to get him the car we're currently looking into. Our current situation doesn't allow us to purchase both cars at once

One of the Tesla representatives at Tesla Cincinnati contacted me saying that even though I had canceled my order, he was still willing to offer me delivery of a Model 3 before the end of December if I happened to change my mind. I partially canceled my initial order in fear that I wouldn't be receiving it before the end of the year, thus not being able to receive the $7,500 tax incentive.

So now I'm in the situation of this:
Either
1) I can get the Model 3 and have my son drive the Camry for a while or
2) Keep the Camry and have him get the Lexus
I'm perfectly fine with the Camry but a Tesla always seemed like a good idea. My PRIMARY issue with Tesla is the repairs. I've heard nightmares of people having to wait months just to get a simple repair done on their car in the event of any damage. The nearest Tesla Body Shop to me is roughly a 5-hour drive.
A short test drive should make up your mind.
Once you experience the model 3 you will be asking yourself why even consider any other car out there as there really is no comparison.

You came to a Tesla forum to ask whether to get keep your Camry or get a new Model 3?? Seriously?! Of course get a Tesla M3! Fantastic car. I've had mine since March. Earlier build, Zero issue whatsoever to date. And very fund to drive. Hurry before they can't get you a car by 12/31!

Sometimes people just need a lil bit of encouragement to tip them over the fence :D If you have a chance to get a Model 3 before end of the year for full $7500 tax credit, go for it. This is literally the last chance you have a shot at this. You'll love the car, it's like nothing else.

As many have said before me, this is a Tesla forum and thus most of us will be biased towards Tesla. I had my M3 since July and totally loved it. Going back to my '15 accord and '16 MDX ICE feels so weird. I would have ordered the AWD if not worried about it being not available until after the rebate goes out. If you have not had a test drive you would have 3 days to consider if you want to return. BUT, I think you will not regret.

Just wanted to let everyone know that we decided on purchasing the Model 3 and have already scheduled a delivery for this Thursday. Hopefully, everything will go as planned (no delays) and the car will live up to the hype!

It was also one of the only mid-range models they had on the ground near the facility. Super lucky to have gotten my hands on it.