Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just wanted to let everyone know that we decided on purchasing the Model 3 and have already scheduled a delivery for this Thursday. Hopefully, everything will go as planned (no delays) and the car will live up to the hype!

It was also one of the only mid-range models they had on the ground near the facility. Super lucky to have gotten my hands on it.

Also.. even though it is a lot - consider autopilot before delivery for $5K.

It's half or more of what makes a Tesla a Tesla.

Pay no mind to people saying EAP is this or that.. you are buying into a product that gets a little better every month.

Just wanted to let everyone know that we decided on purchasing the Model 3 and have already scheduled a delivery for this Thursday. Hopefully, everything will go as planned (no delays) and the car will live up to the hype!

It was also one of the only mid-range models they had on the ground near the facility. Super lucky to have gotten my hands on it.
You definitely made the right decision. The Camry is plenty safe for your son to be driving, and it will last until you get your next Tesla, at which time you can hand your used Model 3 to him. He'll have learned the ropes by then.

Reactions: Msjulie
The Camry is plenty safe for your son to be driving, and it will last until you get your next Tesla, at which time you can hand your used Model 3 to him.
My local tinting / clear bra place has Camrys as loaner cars and after driving my Model 3 I felt the Camry was unsafe. It felt super uncomfortable as the engine didn't respond quickly and kept going as I let off the accelerator. Model 3, on the other hand, does exactly what I intend to do, when I want to do it.

I currently have a gas loaner while a body shop replaces a bumper. I am frustrated every time I get into the car.. there is no comparison, Model 3 if you can. Plus it does come with monitoring and speed limit mode if you are concerned about such things.

Reactions: JeffK
Since you know the condition and history of the Camry, if it's been a decent car and you've maintained it I'd pass it on to your son (as opposed to an unknown used car purchase) and jump on the Model 3 before year end for the extra $3750 you'll get this year. Simply love my Model 3 and so happy to be driving it.

Watch your kid around the Tesla, its fast enough to get him in serious trouble both with the law and from a safety standpoint. My parents let me pay them back for a smashed up $500 piece of crap and I still thank them for that. Even though we can afford it I'll never give my kids a brand new luxury car.

As a counter to this. Remember the story of the M3 that flew through the air, crashed into a tree, and fell into a pond below?

Fireman that cut the survivors out of that car, and all 4 teens in it survived, included the driver that had “taken” his dad’s new car without permission...

Well that fireman basically said every last one of them would have been dead had it been any other car... That fireman made that comment based on experience of going to car wrecks, and I think he went and bought himself a Tesla - before or after this news item, due to safety.

Totaled car, bad teens, but because they misbehaved in a Tesla somebody gets to watch his son finish growing up rather than have to plant him under... and 3 other parents got to take their kids home as well...

Watch your kid around the Tesla, its fast enough to get him in serious trouble both with the law and from a safety standpoint. My parents let me pay them back for a smashed up $500 piece of crap and I still thank them for that. Even though we can afford it I'll never give my kids a brand new luxury car.

That's exactly what I was thinking (and looks like a few others too).
Also not sure I'd want to keep my kid in the less safe older Camry vs a newer Lexus with more safety bells and whistles.

As a counter to this. Remember the story of the M3 that flew through the air, crashed into a tree, and fell into a pond below?

Fireman that cut the survivors out of that car, and all 4 teens in it survived, included the driver that had “taken” his dad’s new car without permission...

Well that fireman basically said every last one of them would have been dead had it been any other car... That fireman made that comment based on experience of going to car wrecks, and I think he went and bought himself a Tesla - before or after this news item, due to safety.

Totaled car, bad teens, but because they misbehaved in a Tesla somebody gets to watch his son finish growing up rather than have to plant him under... and 3 other parents got to take their kids home as well...

Yeah but would another car had been flying through the air in the first place?

Give your son the Camry and give yourself the M3. Like another person said, "I'd never give my kids a brand new luxury car." After seeing what my brothers did to my Mom's poor car in just three years I'd have to agree with that statement. I can tell you that even though the Camry might not be as safe from the physical standpoint from a mental standpoint it's probably safer. Nearly everyone I knew in high school that had a fast car got in a wreck showing off or pushing the limit because they could. Take that temptation away for the sake of safety.

Last edited:
Tesla is not a car choice, it's a life choice in many ways. Forums are unrepresentative of car owners. The people with no problems don't come here as much. Get the Tesla. Opportunities to participate early in a technological revolution come few times in a life.

Agreed. It truly is something that makes you look at and experience the transportation element of ones life differently.

Glad others agreed with me... I thought I'd had to put my nomex underwear on after making that post ;)

You are a wonderful parent for giving him the 2011 Camry though... that's about what I was thinking for my kids but whatever it is will be a manual (if I can even find one). Manual transmissions teach respect for the machine since they require patience and a little bit of frustration to get used to. The Tesla is almost like playing a game on cheat mode... starting with that off the bat will warp his perception of what it's like to control a 2 ton machine with other people around.

• Love
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
My local tinting / clear bra place has Camrys as loaner cars and after driving my Model 3 I felt the Camry was unsafe. It felt super uncomfortable as the engine didn't respond quickly and kept going as I let off the accelerator. Model 3, on the other hand, does exactly what I intend to do, when I want to do it.
Ha! After driving the Model 3, ANY other ICE car seems unsafe!

I appreciate all of the responses. For the sake of clarification, when I meant that my son and I would be sharing the Model 3, I meant that he would only be able to drive it if I was in the car. Sorry that was unclear.

Aside from all else, I am very much looking forward to my model 3 delivery this Saturday.

Reactions: RussellJ
A 2011 Camry sounds like a nice gift car. Get yourself the Tesla. I would not give it to a new driver right away. Everyone should learn to drive on a manual in my book (my poor children learn on a Ford Fiesta stick shift).
Both my kids started driving with a 1973 VW Thing. They still drive manual transmission car today! Funny how few people ask if they can borrow their cars...