Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dimensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Likelihood that it is slightly longer than a BMW 3-series is quite good. Will beat BMW in interior passenger space while hopefully being faster acceleration-wise. Faster around would be amazing, but unlikely due to battery weight. But the days I'm out at the track are few and far between; not to mention they don't allow ICE on the track while I'm there usually (Re-fuel...etc)

I too am an "actual engineer" and have also been trained in image interpretation. I haven't done the mensuration myself, because I just don't care about the length of the car; but my technical opinion is that there's no f-ing way this car is only 168.5" long.

I'm not an engineer, but if we just take the anecdotal evidence of Elon continuously comparing the Model 3 in size to an A4, clearly someone would have corrected him by now if he stuck to that analogy, only to have the Model 3 come out to only 168".

The engineering numbers and the common sense point to...and I hate to say this...Motor Trend being closer to correct here.

Just to be clear- they didn't measure the car, they're just using the scaling. Per their own website graphic:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 4.09.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-10 at 4.09.54 PM.png
    949.2 KB · Views: 102
There is not a chance in hell that the Model 3 is more than 2' shorter than the Model S:

Not even a little chance? I'm no engineer but when I look at that photograph you posted, I can believe I see about 10 inches shorter in the front and about 14 inches shorter in the back, especially when I look at the shadow cast in the back by both cars. Plus, we need to account for scale since the cars sure look small so 10" and 14" or thereabouts from front to back would not be that noticeable, would it? Plus, the Model 3 is even longer than the BMW 340i, and I wonder if it was parked in that spot instead of the Model 3 if it would look any smaller in size? I park often beside my Leaf (which is 9" shorter than the Model 3, if we accept this number, and the Leaf doesn't come across as puny -- ugly, yes, puny, no).

Also, it wouldn't be more than 2' shorter. I have it as 11.8" shorter, if we accept this number, so it's less than 2'.

Again, I have no experience in this but I think there may be at least a chance in hell this number is pretty close.

Last edited:
Likelihood that it is slightly longer than a BMW 3-series is quite good. Will beat BMW in interior passenger space while hopefully being faster acceleration-wise. Faster around would be amazing, but unlikely due to battery weight. But the days I'm out at the track are few and far between; not to mention they don't allow ICE on the track while I'm there usually (Re-fuel...etc)

If its 184 it will have a lot more space than the 3 series, except perhaps the China stretch model.

The more pics I see of the M3, the better I like it. It is not simply a reduced model S.

Reactions: Red Sage and Luke42
Not even a little chance? I'm no engineer but when I look at that photograph you posted, I can believe I see about 10 inches shorter in the front and about 14 inches shorter in the back, especially when I look at the shadow cast in the back by both cars. Plus, we need to account for scale since the cars sure look small so 10" and 14" or thereabouts from front to back would not be that noticeable, would it? Plus, the Model 3 is even longer than the BMW 340i, and I wonder if it was parked in that spot instead of the Model 3 if it would look any smaller in size? I park often beside my Leaf (which is 9" shorter than the Model 3, if we accept this number, and the Leaf doesn't come across as puny -- ugly, yes, puny, no).

Again, I have no experience in this but I think there may be at least a chance in hell this number is pretty close.

Perhaps this will help. I've overlaid grid lines at about 6" (based on the Model S wheelbase). The nice parking stripes allow you to exactly account for perspective.

comp3.jpg

It looks to me like slightly less than one grid line shorter in the front and slightly more than one grid line shorter in the back. 2 grid lines shorter is 12" shorter than the Model S = 184" long.

Last edited:
"The Model 3 is impressive for its surface purity and avoidance of excess. It’s clean and refined with similarities to the Model S. This is a significant design challenge since you don’t have the length and width to resolve the same forms"
I don't understand why everybody keeps saying this. The 3 looks more like an X than an S from literally every single angle!

Just look at the side-by-side posted in this article!

Perhaps this will help. I've overlaid grid lines at about 6" (based on the Model S wheelbase). The nice parking stripes allow you to exactly account for perspective.

It looks to me like slightly less than one grid line shorter in the front and slightly more than one grid line shorter in the back. 2 grid lines shorter is 12" shorter than the Model S = 184" long.

I'm gonna to need the camera lens researched and corrections made for rectilinear distortion.

The Motor Trend article states the following: "The 3’s side view is telling in this regard. The priority of the wheelbase pinches the front overhang, but not unattractively. Compare for a moment the profiles of the Model 3 and BMW’s 340i. That ancient horse-before-the-wagon long-hood/front-engine profile of performance cars suddenly looks kinda tired, doesn’t it? (And the puffed, pedestrian-friendly hood only exacerbates the problem.)"
Isn't it interesting that about the only styling complaint concerning the 1965 Corvair when it was intoduced was that the front deck was "a little short". Also, the Corvair is 183" long with a 108" wheelbase. Isn't it interesting how things change over time!!

Attachments

• Tesla.jpg
    Tesla.jpg
    655.8 KB · Views: 52
  • Ripon Car show 2015 Tesla-2.jpg
    Ripon Car show 2015 Tesla-2.jpg
    679.2 KB · Views: 63
Reactions: Red Sage and Luke42
Sounds about right, though it is a bit wider than I expected. But this is most likely it, and not 168" like some were assuming based on scaling. The short front hood might also be playing tricks on people's eyes. There is very little excess on this car, and there is lots of car within that wheelbase.

Reactions: Red Sage
Just to be clear- they didn't measure the car, they're just using the scaling. Per their own website graphic:
They had all three cars that day (maybe not the BMW though). Thus, they can do extremely accurate scaling (by taking pictures from the same position). Others have already shown wheelbase/wheel scaling doesn't work. However, comparative scaling of cars should work better.

Reactions: Red Sage
Yah, I expected that was the plan too. I was surprised to see it unveiled as 5 seater.

Remember - There is going to be a smaller model than the 3. "More affordable" I believe is what Elon Musk called it. If you want a smaller M3, then please wait for the smaller version. For me.... The M3 as is or larger would be great.

Keep in mind that before the Great Reveal, Elon Musk originally pointed to 1 car to provide a hint as to the size of the M3. That car was the Audi A4. The M3 is noticeably smaller than the A4. I expected an A4 sized car. I would suggest that the M3 stay the size that it is ( or larger ) so that there can be a smaller more affordable Model out there......IE M1.5.