Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dimensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I edited the image scaling the BMW 3 series according to the model 3 20 inch wheel dimension..

The front wheel is 70 pixels, so 70 pixel are 20inch (50.8cm)
Model ☰ Prototype Side View 1.jpg
Model ☰ Prototype Side View 2.jpg

I had a suspicion, so I measured the visible diameter of my 17" alloy wheels. It was about 18".

So 20" allows would likely have at least 21" visible diameter.

More like 168" long, 113" WB (or more).

I pretty much agree. Our BMW 540i and Mini Cooper have 17" wheels that both measure as about 18.5" across the visible portion. That gave me 167" long and 54" high for the Model 3.

Great minds think alike! My 17's are actually just under 18.5 actual diameter. I was out measuring when you posted!

20" visible Diamater = ~160" length 108" WB (definitely wrong)
21" visible Diamater = ~168" length 113" WB (likely short)
21.5" visible Diamater = ~172" length 116" WB ( Likely close )
22" visible Diamater = ~176" length 119" WB ( Likely long)

Though this kind of thing is a bit error prone, I think it is going to have a relatively long wheelbase (114" minimum), on fairly compact car ( 180" maximum).

Also bumpers tend to get longer before full production is reached.

Well, the designer of the Model S, X, and Model 3 is Franz von Holzhausen. He came from Mazda, so the comparison is probably a fair one. As I looked into Franz, I see he designed the Mazda Kabura concept car.

Mazda Kabura Concept - First Drive & Road Test - Motor Trend

Here are some quotes from the above article I think are similar to what we have seen of the Model 3:
"Its profile is punctuated by short overhangs, bold wheel arches filled with 245/35 tires on 19-inch front and 20-inch rear alloy wheels"

"However, it’s the Kabura’s dramatic windshield that puts it quite literally over the top. Extending all the way back to the B-pillar, this soaring one-piece canopy was intended “to bring the outside in,” a job it performs with panoramic intensity."

"The Kabura’s recontoured cutaway dash eliminates the glovebox, buying enough free space in the process to position the front bucket roughly six inches ahead of where it would normally be. This unconventional approach generates sufficient rear legroom to make tandem seating for two modestly scaled adults a realistic possibility." This sounds a lot like what they did with the dash to move it forward and create more leg room for rear passengers.

images.jpg
This concept was from 2006 I believe.

20" visible Diamater = ~160" length 108" WB (definitely wrong)
21" visible Diamater = ~168" length 113" WB (likely short)
21.5" visible Diamater = ~172" length 116" WB ( Likely close )
22" visible Diamater = ~176" length 119" WB ( Likely long)

Though this kind of thing is a bit error prone, I think it is going to have a relatively long wheelbase (114" minimum), on fairly compact car ( 180" maximum).

Also bumpers tend to get longer before full production is reached.

I think you are probably correct. With a 172" length and a 116" wheelbase the car would have a wheelbase that's on par with a 5 series, but with a length that is smaller than a 3 series, which is pretty crazy when you think about it.

Yeah. I thought you guys were aware that the quoted diameter of an alloy wheel is to the beaded area where the seal is made, not to the outer visible portion. Hence, why I scaled based upon the diameter of the tire. Using +1/-1 tire sizing, the overall diameter of a tire is typically pretty close between similar cars even if they have a different size wheel.

I have long expected the Model ☰ to be larger than the BMW 3-Series in most dimensions: width, length, track, wheelbase, and possibly height. Yet it seems the wheelbase will only be about the same as a 3-Series, which I find surprising. I believe Tesla Motors has chosen to greatly reduce the length of the hood forward of the cabin to cut overall length, while simultaneously increasing interior volume.

160" seems pretty short- the Nissan Leaf is 175" and the tesla has a longer profile. I know you are factoring 20" wheels but what about the tire size? You'll need to add 4" or so to account for the tire possibly. I have garage issues that limit the length of the car I can park- so 190" is my soft limit on length- hopes it's not much longer.

I edited the image scaling the BMW 3 series according to the model 3 20 inch wheel dimension..

The front wheel is 70 pixels, so 70 pixel are 20inch (50.8cm)View attachment 170256View attachment 170257
There is NO WAY that BMW is scaled correctly in that picture. BMW 3 series looks like a big SUV compare to Model 3, which is obviously not true. The height of the front hook, and the highest point of the car should be about the same as Model 3.

There is NO WAY that BMW is scaled correctly in that picture. BMW 3 series looks like a big SUV compare to Model 3, which is obviously not true. The height of the front hook, and the highest point of the car should be about the same as Model 3.
I agree. I think the biggest problem is that picture of the Model 3 is obviously not a direct side profile so there is a lot of perspective warp happening.