Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Dimensions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to put it in some perspective, a 1992 Honda Civic's length is 173" and that's a pretty tiny sedan by today's standards.

So having it 4-5 inches shorter than that just seems pretty unrealistic. You guys remember how ridiculous a 90's Civic looked with 18 inch wheels? Well, the Model 3 had 20s! And it looks just right, so I am not really thinking its anything below 180". I'll second that Snowdog's overlay seems to make the most sense to my eyes.

A little more difficult with the width of the Model 3. Length is easy as wheels are a comparable element. To estimate the width the only thing we have is the height. So if we can estimate the height of the car (using a side profile comparison of a similar height car) we could get an idea of the width. Can anyone help with that?

Perhaps someone could use the license plate as a reference point? Those should be standard width.

Any better rear photos than these?
http://www.worldhab.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/tesla-model-3-rear-image.jpg
http://hanabi.autoweek.com/sites/default/files/styles/gen-738-415/public/dreier.jpg?itok=fvMzVkc-

Just to put it in some perspective, a 1992 Honda Civic's length is 173" and that's a pretty tiny sedan by today's standards.
I'm not saying you're wrong - in my own fleet of vehicles our Model S is in 6th place - but I will say that seems a terribly Americentric viewpoint - and the US is now a very small fraction of world auto sales.

Reactions: Red Sage
I'm not saying you're wrong - in my own fleet of vehicles our Model S is in 6th place - but I will say that seems a terribly Americentric viewpoint - and the US is now a very small fraction of world auto sales.

That wasn't quite my intention. I happen to love small cars, and both my cars come in under 175" long and weigh under 2800 lbs.

I'm just saying that if you look at the Model 3 prototype, it doesn't look to be a few inches smaller than a 92 Civic. The 3 looks like a (smaller) midsize sedan to my eyes, not a compact or subcompact.

The M3 looks to size closer to the 2016 Honda Civic dimensions than 1992 Civic. I was just studying a new Civic today and see more similarities to the M3 (than a BMW 3 Series ) in exterior side styling. The 2016 Civic is 182.3" and has a 106.3" wheelbase and has 16-17" max size wheels.

Perhaps someone could use the license plate as a reference point? Those should be standard width.

Based on a license plate width of 12", I calculated a body width (minus mirrors) of 59" from the first image, and 66" from the second image. The second image is lower resolution, but gives a more centered (and therefore probably more accurate) view.

Using the high-resolution press version of the second image, I calculated 70".

Reactions: Tiberius
Ugh.

Lots of posts about vehicle length. Although I agree that is important, for me, in thinking of the Model 3's acceptance in the European market, where narrow streets, parking sites, garages all are the norm, I'd really want to know its overall width.

In concert with that, I can't recall much in the discussions subsequent to the Reveal's test rides how comfortable the three-abreast rear seat was. Any input here?

As a European Model S driver (driven 80k+): I've not had any problems with car width nor length to date. I've driven my S in NL, DE, FR, UK, IT, CH, etc. Even in Paris underground parking (they are really narrow), I managed to park without a scratch.

I cannot imagine this being a problem for the Model 3.

Based on a license plate width of 12", I calculated a body width (minus mirrors) of 59" from the first image, and 66" from the second image. The second image is lower resolution, but gives a more centered (and therefore probably more accurate) view.

Using the high-resolution press version of the second image, I calculated 70".

Keep in mind the mirror adds an additional 5-6 or so inches on either side, so assuming 59-60 inches on just the body, an additional 11-12 or so inches puts it at right around 70-72 inches, right around 3 series/A4 territory. I can't see it being much wider than that since the Model S is at 77.3 inches.

Here is a possible solution to the dilemma..............

People say that the demo cars had 20" wheels and that is what is being used to extrapolate the length and height - which is giving nonsensical dimensions (well too low and too short in my opinion).

BUT the pictures that are being used are the promo photos which will be optimized for 'looks'. And if you do a scaling of these wheels assuming that the length and height are about the same as a 3-series/A4 then it comes to 22" which is perfectly feasible for a 'concept car' and for promotional photoshoots.

I'd far rather assume the wheels are 'different' than that the car is small; low and short - a sort of shrunken Civic!

I vote for Snowdog's interpretation and overlay photos...........

People say that the demo cars had 20" wheels

No, people don't understand wheel and tire nomenclature.

20" were the rims, and tires were 275/30R20. Wheels are thus 26.5" in diameter.
One could fit 245/45R18 rims and tires and get similar wheel-size.

The problem is in the perspective and corner roundness that result in shorter perceived overhangs.
One can calculate wheelbase from wheel size, but overhangs will be problematic, they need some correction factor based on true width and top profile.

Yes understood - I was measuring the rims not the wheel/tyre size. And using the most 'square-on' side profile shot I could find.

But certainly the problem with measuring the photos is that they are slightly distorted and not a flat drawing.

Ok, next time anyone has the chance to see a Model 3, take a tape measure with you.

My predictions are, that the Model 3 will be longer than the Bolt and quite a bit. So no 170".
(could someone overlap a Bolt and a Model 3, with the Model 3 being 170" long and the Bolt 164", just to get an idea how strange that would look)

And to everyone ho ends up scaling the Model 3 roofline lower than a 3 series, just imagine that tall people were able to sit in it and the 3 series does not ride on 4-5 inches of battery pack. I'd say it will be 180"+X because it looks like a sedan and it doesn't seem comically tall for a sedan and even the smallest sedans are 175", or more.

Yes understood - I was measuring the rims not the wheel/tyre size. And using the most 'square-on' side profile shot I could find.

But certainly the problem with measuring the photos is that they are slightly distorted and not a flat drawing.
I just measured the Model S length, by taking the picture from the online design studio and the 19" rims and dividing the length of a Model S, by the diameter of a 19" rim.

It turns out the Model S is just 171" long...
As pointed out earlier in the thread: "20 inch" wheels do not have a visual size of 20 inch (or 19 inch in your Model S example). It is actually a bit larger than that. The 20 inch refers to the measurement from bead to bead, not the outside visible size. It is thus safer to use the overall tire diameter.

gem-tech-rim-diameter.jpg

Although others have said there is no visible distortion, this can also contribute to making the car seem shorter. If there is even a very small angle to the picture, it can change the visible length of the vehicle significantly.

I just measured the Model S length, by taking the picture from the online design studio and the 19" rims and dividing the length of a Model S, by the diameter of a 19" rim.

It turns out the Model S is just 171" long...

If you check on actual dimensions of Model S, you'll see that it is closer to 195". Using wheels or license plate dimensions is causing some under-estimates in calculated length. Somebody should tweet Elon onwhat the length is and maybe he would clear this up?

If you check on actual dimensions of Model S, you'll see that it is closer to 195". Using wheels or license plate dimensions is causing some under-estimates in calculated length. Somebody should tweet Elon onwhat the length is and maybe he would clear this up?

I guess you got where I was going with it, but sadly not the sarcasm.
But I totally agree with you on the Tweeting, this whole scaling up thing seems useless, if the car ends up being as long as a medium sized bicycle. I would also argue that using a life image would be better than those photoshopped ones from the website.