Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 DIY Light kits: Review and installation tips, with pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For me.....it's between these two options...I like one because it replaces the center dash with a touch screen, and the other is quite nice as well, but both are the real deal full replacements one of them actually replaces the metal with perforated dash... been eying these for a while:

Yeah, I’ve been eyeing the one from Aroham (with the perforated metal trim) since it came out a few months ago or so.
The perforated aluminum design looks pretty sweet… at least on paper. My concerns (& what’s holding me back from buying) are actual fitment when installed and the fact that these more complete kits require A LOT more of your existing trim/panels to be removed. For example, to install the dashboard light, I think you have to grind away and remove the existing OEM horizontal aluminum piece from your dashboard and then attach/glue the new perforated aluminum trim piece to your dashboard. I could be wrong, though…

I think you should go for it, so we can see how one of these complete kits fits/looks like on a real user/vehicle!! 😁

Yeah, I’ve been eyeing the one from Aroham (with the perforated metal trim) since it came out a few months ago or so.
The perforated aluminum design looks pretty sweet… at least on paper. My concerns (& what’s holding me back from buying) are actual fitment when installed and the fact that these more complete kits require A LOT more of your existing trim/panels to be removed. For example, to install the dashboard light, I think you have to grind away and remove the existing OEM horizontal aluminum piece from your dashboard and then attach/glue the new perforated aluminum trim piece to your dashboard. I could be wrong, though…

I think you should go for it, so we can see how one of these complete kits fits/looks like on a real user/vehicle!! 😁
Lol… are you Guinea pigging me….

Lol… I’ll get it Christmas time and do a full write-up… I have some really really good glue… so if that’s the case… I’ll do so… I’m pretty good with modding cars… especially interiors…. I’m gunna have to take off a few days from work to do this properly though… I don’t really want to drive with parts all over… or I may work on one piece at a time.

I’ll keep y’all posted…

Reactions: GreenHokie
That perforated metal one looks great. I'd only use the center console part, and maybe the seat back lights. But it looks the most "oem" compared to the light tubes that you jam in the cracks.
Agreed. Love the look of the lit perforated metal trim. I have the older style center console, so unfortunately none of these kits have/offer the perforated metal design on the older style/shaped consoles... only on the newer consoles with the U-shaped aluminum accent trim. So, if you order this particular kit for a 2020 or earlier M3, you’ll just get the regular light tube for the center console section. I guess this makes sense since they need the accent trim be to a certain width to make the perforated metal fit/work. On the older center console, the two aluminum colored accent strips that run the length of the console are simply too narrow to fit a perforated metal strip.

For me.....it's between these two options...I like one because it replaces the center dash with a touch screen, and the other is quite nice as well, but both are the real deal full replacements one of them actually replaces the metal with perforated dash... been eying these for a while:

Would love to grab one of these but no gen 1 console love

Would love to grab one of these but no gen 1 console love
I FOUND IT FOR 1st gen!!!!

Took a while, but they have it… I tried to get a IRL to post here, but I can’t do it with my phone….

But I would definitely contract them and make sure…. Because it says 2nd gen but then says your model year and shows pictures of your model year…

Here is the text of you wanna search it:

New second generation laser engraving model Led Ambient Light For Tesla Model 3 model3 2018 2020 inter lamp touch control

I FOUND IT FOR 1st gen!!!!

Took a while, but they have it...
But I would definitely contact them and make sure…

Not so fast, my friend. I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure the link/kit you posted above for 2018-2020 vehicles (with the 1st gen center console) has the perforated metal only on the dashboard while all other sections (including the center console) have the standard acrylic/plastic light strips. Below is one of the product photos taken from the link you provided. I’ve drawn some blue arrows to show what the center console light strips looks like, and some red arrows to show what the dashboard lights look like. You can clearly see that these kits for 2018-2020 vehicles have the perforated metal only on the dashboard section and the standard acrylic/plastic lights for everything else. Again, I hope I’m wrong about this, but I have a feeling all these kits (for 2018-2020 Model 3’s) are like this. This actually kind of makes sense since all 2020 and earlier vehicles don’t have the wider aluminum accent strips on the center console or on the interior door panels. So, I guess in order to get a perforated metal design/light, your vehicle must already have some type of wide aluminum strip on that particular part of the interior/trim (i.e. on 2021 or 2022 vehicles). Boo!!!!

85637455-485E-4CC1-8822-3275F12D60C0.jpeg

Last edited:
you are correct...however...since the clear part is attached to the metal piece already...it looks way better than squeezing a piece of plastic in-between...I think it is overall a cleaner look no?

Really only one way to find out....lol
Completely agree. The integrated light strips in these supplied trim pieces should end up looking much better/cleaner than most typical stand-alone/separately installed light strips… present company excluded of course… 🤣

I was hoping these manufacturers could somehow do/offer the perforated metal lights on the gen 1 center console as well. I’d probably jump all over this kit if that was available/offered.

Look forward to seeing this kit on your vehicle. Please post pics when you’re done!! 👍

@GreenHokie the foil wrapped light strips from ebay have not held up well in my car, it makes the install looks bad both due to "sagging" on the adhesive area as well as just the foil peeling back, looking pretty poor overall. Luckily, I bought spares and will probably go for a reinstall. Was thinking of just stripping the foil part entirely, or looking for better alternatives (bonus points if similar has adhesive preinstalled! Any thoughts?

@GreenHokie the foil wrapped light strips from ebay have not held up well in my car, it makes the install looks bad both due to "sagging" on the adhesive area as well as just the foil peeling back, looking pretty poor overall. Luckily, I bought spares and will probably go for a reinstall. Was thinking of just stripping the foil part entirely, or looking for better alternatives (bonus points if similar has adhesive preinstalled! Any thoughts?
Hey there. Sorry to hear about the sagging of the light strip and peeling of the silver foil. I’ve never had any issues with the foil peeling away from the acrylic light strip (but @PauliePucks did tell me that he had a similar issue with his light strips). The only issue I’ve ever had with mine is the light strip sagging a little at each end, due to loss of adhesion to the underside of the dashboard surface. For me, the loss of adhesion was caused by repeated exposure to heat when parked in the sun.

I think the silver foil peeling away is likely a random thing.… happens with some of these light strips while others never have peeling problem… probably just depends on how well the foil was applied by the manufacturer/seller. Fortunately, I have a few suggestions that may solve both of your problems.

1. Re-order another light strip from AliExpress. I did this a few months ago (to address the sagging issue I had with my previous light strip). Apparently, the light strip manufacturer/supplier has made a change to their light strip design. Instead of the silver color foil, they now use some type of black tape to cover the light strip. See photo attached below of the actual product that I received from my last order with AliExpress. I suspect this new design has fewer problems with the foil/tape peeling away from the acrylic strip. I’ve also provided a link this particular product on AliExpress. As you know, these are very inexpensive. So, I would suggest ordering at least two of the 150 cm long strips. Always good to have 1 or 2 spare light strips on hand in case you mess up the initial install.

2. When applying the light strip to the underside of the dashboard, also apply/spread a very thin coat of crazy glue to the exposed adhesive side of the 3M double-sided tape. The very thin coat of crazy glue will really crank up the adhesion effectiveness & durability of the 3M tape. In my case, this completely solved my slight sagging issue that I was experiencing at each end of the light strip. It’s been about 3 months since I replaced my previous light strip with the newer design and crazy glue technique, and still absolutely zero sagging issue with the light strip even with the vehicle parked in the hot sun many times during the past 3 months.
Again, go super light when applying the crazy glue. All it takes is an extremely light coating to provide that additional needed adhesion.
And, also don’t worry about not being able to remove the light strip in the future because of the crazy glue. When applied this lightly/thin, it won’t be completely permanent, so you will still be able to remove the light strip if you want to in the future, without damaging the underside of the dashboard. The last photo attached at the very bottom shows the newer light strip design installed.

68FDF5BA-9EA1-4117-91A5-69120411992A.jpeg

C61291D1-4767-4374-813A-F3359E78EAAB.jpeg

Reactions: PauliePucks
Hello, I installed the full nestour kit a couple days ago and I have some questions for the professionals...

1. There are some imperfections in the strips that are very noticeable on the dash in daylight, is it due to the thick and terrible quality light strips, or did I mess it up somehow? It doesn't actually bother me too much though.

IMG_1405.jpeg

2. I just want to make sure that the wires are supposed to dangle from between the seats and center console if I don't do any drilling and hide the cables near the OBD plug place. (apologies for the sloppy cable management, I did already fix it slightly)

IMG_1406.jpeg

3. I can't get the center console strip to go in the corners, what's the best way to cut the flat part so it stays in shape?

Thanks in advance and sorry for being so bad at DIY :(

Hello, I installed the full nestour kit a couple days ago and I have some questions for the professionals...

1. There are some imperfections in the strips that are very noticeable on the dash in daylight, is it due to the thick and terrible quality light strips, or did I mess it up somehow? It doesn't actually bother me too much though.

2. I just want to make sure that the wires are supposed to dangle from between the seats and center console if I don't do any drilling and hide the cables near the OBD plug place. (apologies for the sloppy cable management, I did already fix it slightly)

3. I can't get the center console strip to go in the corners, what's the best way to cut the flat part so it stays in shape?

Thanks in advance and sorry for being so bad at DIY :(

Answer to your question #1:
The imperfections you are seeing are just a natural/normal result of how most of these light tubes are manufactured. Most of the light tubes being sold out there (including the one from Nestour) consists of a solid inner core/tube that is encased by a hollow outer tube/sleeve. So, the various imperfections (lighter horizontal lines) you are seeing, are where the inner tube doesn’t make full contact with the outer sleeve. These lighter lines/imperfections only become visible when light shines on them from a certain direction. Some people don’t even see/notice them, but they are definitely there…. This was one reason why I ended up returning the kits made by Nestour, Basenor, etc.. and finally settle on the kit that was made by a reseller called SUMK (who apparently has changed their name to VIHIMAI). The light strip from SUMK/VIHIMAI (which is more square/rectangular in shape) is a completely different design than the typical round light tubes that are used/sold by everyone else. So, the light strips from SUMK/VIHIMAI do not have any of the light imperfections you mentioned. However, I have heard that SUMK/VIHIMAI have changed their light strip design. So, it may be different now versus when I bought mine back in Dec 2021. Refer back to post #19 located on page 1, where I detail the differences between the light strip/tubes and explained why I switched to the SUMK kit.

Answer to your question #2:
Depending on how you’ve chosen to run the wiring, the wires can be concealed or visible/dangling. There is no right or wrong. So, it’s totally up to you on what is acceptable/OK in terms of wire location. Refer back to some earlier posts to see how other forum members chose to run their wires.

Answer to your question #3:
It was not necessary in my situation, but to help keep the console light strip locked in place (especially at the ends/corners), I applied some 3M double sided tape between the flat, thin section of light strip and the aluminum trim on my console. To do this, you will need to remove the console side panels, as shown/highlighted in the photo below. This will expose the inside part of the thin aluminum trim that runs along the length of the console (to which you will apply the light strip with the double-sided tape). I am assuming you have a gen 1 console. If not and you actually have a gen 2 console, then I do not know how to remove the panels on the newer consoles (or if removal is even possible). So, you may be SOL in this case…

22C175EB-C415-42B1-BBEB-BFF348E6B402.jpeg

Reactions: Odyssey28
Answer to your question #1:
The imperfections you are seeing are just a natural/normal result of how most of these light tubes are manufactured. Most of the light tubes being sold out there (including the one from Nestour) consists of a solid inner core/tube that is encased by a hollow outer tube/sleeve. So, the various imperfections (lighter horizontal lines) you are seeing, are where the inner tube doesn’t make full contact with the outer sleeve. These lighter lines/imperfections only become visible when light shines on them from a certain direction. Some people don’t even see/notice them, but they are definitely there…. This was one reason why I ended up returning the kits made by Nestour, Basenor, etc.. and finally settle on the kit that was made by a reseller called SUMK (who apparently has changed their name to VIHIMAI). The light strip from SUMK/VIHIMAI (which is more square/rectangular in shape) is a completely different design than the typical round light tubes that are used/sold by everyone else. So, the light strips from SUMK/VIHIMAI do not have any of the light imperfections you mentioned. However, I have heard that SUMK/VIHIMAI have changed their light strip design. So, it may be different now versus when I bought mine back in Dec 2021. Refer back to post #19 located on page 1, where I detail the differences between the light strip/tubes and explained why I switched to the SUMK kit.

Answer to your question #2:
Depending on how you’ve chosen to run the wiring, the wires can be concealed or visible/dangling. There is no right or wrong. So, it’s totally up to you on what is acceptable/OK in terms of wire location. Refer back to some earlier posts to see how other forum members chose to run their wires.

Answer to your question #3:
It was not necessary in my situation, but to help keep the console light strip locked in place (especially at the ends/corners), I applied some 3M double sided tape between the flat, thin section of light strip and the aluminum trim on my console. To do this, you will need to remove the console side panels, as shown/highlighted in the photo below. This will expose the inside part of the thin aluminum trim that runs along the length of the console (to which you will apply the light strip with the double-sided tape). I am assuming you have a gen 1 console. If not and you actually have a gen 2 console, then I do not know how to remove the panels on the newer consoles (or if removal is even possible). So, you may be SOL in this case…

View attachment 856097
Thank you so much! :D That was an incredibly detailed explanation... Unfortunately I have the gen 2 console, and it seems like there's either something blocking the corners, or it's just incredibly tight that I could only insert it 75% of the way. :( I guess I'll just try a small cut where the strip is protruding.

Thank you so much! :D That was an incredibly detailed explanation... Unfortunately I have the gen 2 console, and it seems like there's either something blocking the corners, or it's just incredibly tight that I could only insert it 75% of the way. :( I guess I'll just try a small cut where the strip is protruding.

You’re welcome! Actually, I do have an install tip that may help with the corners on your gen 2 console.
As shown in the photo below, make a triangular shaped “relief” cut in the flat part of your light strip, where it will sit/bend around each corner of the console. A relief cut is a common technique used to run/install things around bends and corners.

73DB889F-69A6-438C-A666-0204BB683A16.jpeg

Reactions: Odyssey28