Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 DIY Light kits: Review and installation tips, with pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The glare is really a personal preference thing.

100% agree with this. I live in a very rural area. I removed it because the whole point for me was having the light at night. Depending on the color you choose you can barely see it during the day. So turning it on and off was not an option even though there is a button on the cord.

I definitely agree with installing it to see how you like it.

Reactions: PauliePucks
100% agree with this. I live in a very rural area. I removed it because the whole point for me was having the light at night. Depending on the color you choose you can barely see it during the day. So turning it on and off was not an option even though there is a button on the cord.

I definitely agree with installing it to see how you like it.
I was just hoping to add in some dim accent lighting right above the door/dash trim, like in a Mercedes, but its dependent up on finding the parts in white and swapping out the wood because id like to get it all done at one time.

I just put the Amazon Nestour kit in my 2020 MYLR. Here are my thoughts.

I had no problem with straightening the light tube. It came loosely looped in the box but unrolled easily and installed flat. Maybe they've changed it a bit?

The double-sided tape included was 3M VHB. I used some adhesion promoted and cleaned well with alcohol so hopefully it will stay in place. I only used tape on the end of the console tubing where it goes into the center storage on the recommendation of the OP. The rest of the tube seems pretty stable without it.

I used heat shrink tubing on the ends where the light pipes connect to the emitter. I also dabbed black paint on the cut ends to eliminate the bright spots. For the dash, I ran the wire down the side panel of the dash, under the dash panel below the glovebox to the center console, and under those panels. I drilled a small hole between behind the side panel and the inner storage area to thread the cable through. I found an organizer for the center console which has a cutout for the cigarette lighter and is big enough to take up the entire length of the console, hiding all the extra wire underneath.

I did not install the footwell lights. I had replaced the stock footwell lights with some blue ones that work well and go with my color scheme so I kept them in place.

Pics! Finished product. Ignore the spudger on the dash. I'm using it to keep some pressure on the end to get a good bond on the tape.
20220523_152647.jpg

Wire hole:
20220523_161126.jpg

Excess wires tucked into the center console. Shrink tubing on the excess light pipes.
20220523_152238.jpg

New tray hiding the mess.
20220523_160219.jpg

Attachments

• 20220523_161126.jpg
    20220523_161126.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 90
I just put the Amazon Nestour kit in my 2020 MYLR. Here are my thoughts.

I had no problem with straightening the light tube. It came loosely looped in the box but unrolled easily and installed flat. Maybe they've changed it a bit?

The double-sided tape included was 3M VHB. I used some adhesion promoted and cleaned well with alcohol so hopefully it will stay in place. I only used tape on the end of the console tubing where it goes into the center storage on the recommendation of the OP. The rest of the tube seems pretty stable without it.

I used heat shrink tubing on the ends where the light pipes connect to the emitter. I also dabbed black paint on the cut ends to eliminate the bright spots. For the dash, I ran the wire down the side panel of the dash, under the dash panel below the glovebox to the center console, and under those panels. I drilled a small hole between behind the side panel and the inner storage area to thread the cable through. I found an organizer for the center console which has a cutout for the cigarette lighter and is big enough to take up the entire length of the console, hiding all the extra wire underneath.

I did not install the footwell lights. I had replaced the stock footwell lights with some blue ones that work well and go with my color scheme so I kept them in place.

Pics! Finished product. Ignore the spudger on the dash. I'm using it to keep some pressure on the end to get a good bond on the tape.
View attachment 807927

Wire hole: View attachment 807940

Excess wires tucked into the center console. Shrink tubing on the excess light pipes.
View attachment 807932

New tray hiding the mess.
View attachment 807930
Man, thanks for sharing, that came out really well, especially the dash strip!!

Reactions: cosmith71
Anyone know if the light strips on the new 2021 sumk kit will have enough length to work on a gen 1 console. I have the old basnor kit and am debating switching those 3mm center console lines to something better, the ali strips just won't fit the middle

Attempted installation today of the Nestour kit from Amazon. I’m happy with the end result mostly, especially for such a cheap kit.

Although, some of the 3M double sided tape doesn’t adhere well, any recommendations for a better tape to hold the LEDs in place below the seats?

58C72BF2-43DA-4C6F-8C6D-D7B33E244326.jpeg
D5F8F21C-97C6-471B-926F-D39CB2B113DB.jpeg

As an update, I believe I have found the perfect light strip for my dashboard (to compliment the console light strips that I am currently using from SUMK). This light strip is from a seller on AliExpress. Link provided below. As mentioned in one of my previous posts, I did not use/install SUMK’s dashboard lights because it is a 2-piece design and simply looks bad.

Below are some photos of this other/new light strip. It is a little thinner than the one from SUMK and a lot thinner than the light tubes supplied by most other manufacturers/light kits out there. As you can see, the design/shape of this light strip is also much different than the others… and that is a good thing especially for the dashboard.
This light strip consists of two parts: 1) an inner tube which is about 1.5 mm in diameter, and 2) a thin flat acrylic strip
The inner tube is attached to the thin flat strip with a silver colored foil/tape. This tape covers the entire inner tube and most of the thin flat strip, except for the edges. So, when this light strip is install in your trim work, it is not the tube that is lit/seen. Instead, what is lit and seen is only the thin edges of this light strip, which I estimate to be about 1 mm in thickness. The second photo below is taken at an angle which shows the edge of the exposed strip. The benefit of this type of design is it produces a much cleaner and more defined light effect. A very ”refined” look, compared to the typical light tube that is used by everyone else.
View attachment 759583

View attachment 759587

In my opinion, this light strip is the perfect type to use for the dashboard. As you can see from the additional photos shown below, they look fantastic when on… and are so thin/discreet that they also look great during the day when off. For me, the larger 3 mm diameter round tubes that are used in all the other light kits, can look a little cheesy at times. By contrast, this one looks sleek under all conditions.
So, in summary, I have the SUMK light strips on my dashboard and the thin acrylic light strips from AliExpress on my dashboard.
Final note: For the dashboard, I have light emitters on both ends/sides of the dashboard, so the light output across the entire dashboard is more uniform/consistent.

ON:
View attachment 759602

OFF:
View attachment 759603

ON:
View attachment 759605

OFF:
View attachment 759611

ON:
View attachment 759615

OFF:
View attachment 759616

CONSOLE LIGHTS ON:
View attachment 759617

CONSOLE LIGHTS OFF:
View attachment 759618
This is pretty incredible. Do you think it'd work on the 2022 Model X?

This is pretty incredible. Do you think it'd work on the 2022 Model X?
Should definitely work in any Tesla vehicle/model, assuming you have a standard 12V cigarette plug somewhere in/around your center console. However, not being completely familiar with the layout of the interior trim on the X (and how those trim panels are connected together), I am not certain where would be the best areas to run these light strips in the X. Therefore, you might want to check out the Interior & Exterior section of the Model X subforum. I’m sure someone over there has shared/posted their experience with these aftermarket ambient lights. Good luck!

Reactions: RealBLN
Should definitely work in any Tesla vehicle/model, assuming you have a standard 12V cigarette plug somewhere in/around your center console. However, not being completely familiar with the layout of the interior trim on the X (and how those trim panels are connected together), I am not certain where would be the best areas to run these light strips in the X. Therefore, you might want to check out the Interior & Exterior section of the Model X subforum. I’m sure someone over there has shared/posted their experience with these aftermarket ambient lights. Good luck!
Thank you! Surprisingly no one has done it on the new X and S's. I'll continue to keep an eye out and at the same time give it a stab.

As an update, I believe I have found the perfect light strip for my dashboard (to compliment the console light strips that I am currently using from SUMK). This light strip is from a seller on AliExpress. Link provided below. As mentioned in one of my previous posts, I did not use/install SUMK’s dashboard lights because it is a 2-piece design and simply looks bad.

Below are some photos of this other/new light strip. It is a little thinner than the one from SUMK and a lot thinner than the light tubes supplied by most other manufacturers/light kits out there. As you can see, the design/shape of this light strip is also much different than the others… and that is a good thing especially for the dashboard.
This light strip consists of two parts: 1) an inner tube which is about 1.5 mm in diameter, and 2) a thin flat acrylic strip
The inner tube is attached to the thin flat strip with a silver colored foil/tape. This tape covers the entire inner tube and most of the thin flat strip, except for the edges. So, when this light strip is install in your trim work, it is not the tube that is lit/seen. Instead, what is lit and seen is only the thin edges of this light strip, which I estimate to be about 1 mm in thickness. The second photo below is taken at an angle which shows the edge of the exposed strip. The benefit of this type of design is it produces a much cleaner and more defined light effect. A very ”refined” look, compared to the typical light tube that is used by everyone else.
View attachment 759583

View attachment 759587

In my opinion, this light strip is the perfect type to use for the dashboard. As you can see from the additional photos shown below, they look fantastic when on… and are so thin/discreet that they also look great during the day when off. For me, the larger 3 mm diameter round tubes that are used in all the other light kits, can look a little cheesy at times. By contrast, this one looks sleek under all conditions.
So, in summary, I have the SUMK light strips on my dashboard and the thin acrylic light strips from AliExpress on my dashboard.
Final note: For the dashboard, I have light emitters on both ends/sides of the dashboard, so the light output across the entire dashboard is more uniform/consistent.

ON:
View attachment 759602

OFF:
View attachment 759603

ON:
View attachment 759605

OFF:
View attachment 759611

ON:
View attachment 759615

OFF:
View attachment 759616

CONSOLE LIGHTS ON:
View attachment 759617

CONSOLE LIGHTS OFF:
View attachment 759618
Hey @GreenHokie , do you mind sharing some photos of the side of the dash to show where the emitter is (or where you hid it) for the dash strip?

Hey @GreenHokie , do you mind sharing some photos of the side of the dash to show where the emitter is (or where you hid it) for the dash strip?

Hey there. Sure, below is a photo showing where I the ran the emitter on the passenger side/end of the dash. This was back when I used a different & inferior light tube, which was lit up by only one emitter on the passenger end. I have since replaced that light tube with a much better quality light strip ordered from AliExpress. I also now have emitters attached to each end of the dashboard light strip for a brighter and more uniform light output across the entire length of the dash light. Refer back to post #11 located on page 1 of this thread for additional photos of my original set-up. I don’t have a photo of the driver’s side, but the emitter location would be essentially the same. Good luck!!

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/b8a8f53e-e983-46e6-bab4-5b82f8a7bd4f-jpeg.740612/
1656796988740.jpeg

Last edited:
As John Lennon once famously said, “on behalf of the group and ourselves and I hope we’ve passed the audition!”

Guess I doubted myself too much! Looks great, thanks for all the help and input @GreenHokie & @GreatGazoo 😎
This looks good. I have a M3P coming and I’m starting to look at options.

What again am I looking at here? Is this Ali Express on the dash with the SUMK Amazon kit elsewhere?

This looks good. I have a M3P coming and I’m starting to look at options.

What again am I looking at here? Is this Ali Express on the dash with the SUMK Amazon kit elsewhere?
Correct. The actual emitter kit is the SUMK kit. You will need the 2021+ version for your new ride (congrats!)

The benefit to the SUMK over nestour, basenor, etc. is that SUMK uses plastic type emitters as opposed to metal. There have been instances where the metal has gotten hot and actuall melted/warped the fiber filament causing dimness and failure in that particular run. The strips included with the SUMK are flexible but also fit the center console the best in my experience. (Gen 1 & 2)

The Ali strips are a rigid acrylic. The first gen ones were backed with a foil type material that really made the dash pop with light, however I had issues with the foil peeling at the ends (nothing crazy but it bothered me). GreenHokie (the Guru!) sent me a link to a newer version with has the acrylic strip backed with black rubber instead of foil which will definitely have more shelf life and might even shine better.

Just learn from our mistakes. The acrylic strips are VERY delicate. When applying the heat shrink wrap to the exposed sides, be very careful with the heat. They will melt. They also don’t flex much, so measure 2x cut 1x as the old adage goes.

Here’s a link to the newer acrylic strips GH and I are using:

Order an extra or 2, in case of a mistake. Length should be 150cm for the dash. You can trim as discussed in the thread. You only need the strips, don’t get the full kit, you will connect the SUMK emitter to these.

Good luck w the new ride! Have fun!

GreenHokie (the Guru!) sent me a link to a newer version with has the acrylic strip backed with black rubber instead of foil which will definitely have more shelf life and might even shine better.

You rang? GreenGuru at your service and back with the updated AliExpress light strip installed on my dash. 🤣
Photos attached below for the fun of it, with a few close-ups of the end/underside. Turned out even better than before!!

4C7514B3-BE87-40AD-B7DC-AE128443F25E.jpeg

3D9C879C-8D21-4AAA-83B2-977B5ADB1607.jpeg

9DAE2DA3-7F3E-4D0B-B8B2-F98515A054D7.jpeg

882D6652-C9C9-4B61-B670-E83F086F8E8C.jpeg

• Funny