Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 DIY Light kits: Review and installation tips, with pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I've been stalking this thread for a few days now and I just had to join because the inside of my car is a mess because half of the center console is taken apart and I've been trying to install these nestour lights for days.

I guess to cut through all the shenanigans, my main question is can I just cut off the male 12v part that nestour provides (with the 5.5mm at the end) and tap directly into the wires that power the 12v cigarette lighter in the armrest with a couple T-Taps? I just don't want to blow anything or have it overpowered and I'm not sure if I need some type of resistor or fuse or converter. Is it a 12v to 5v? Or is it just 12v straight thru. I've been beating myself up for the passed few days about how to do the best clean install because I want to hide all the wires.

I'm just paranoid bc I love the car and can't afford an electrical disaster and this is something as simple as a led light kit but I am just not a professional. I've t tapped speakers and installed them etc but just wanna make quadruple sure before doing this.

Pictures below for example.
I got that 2nd screen grab from this video but he has a relay attached to it and ran it to both left and right sides of the car. That's where he lost me.

Please tell me im over complicating this and I'll be fine? Thank you guys.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220814-050548_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220814-050548_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 113
  • Screenshot_20220814-050715_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220814-050715_YouTube.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 70
So I've been stalking this thread for a few days now and I just had to join because the inside of my car is a mess because half of the center console is taken apart and I've been trying to install these nestour lights for days.

I guess to cut through all the shenanigans, my main question is can I just cut off the male 12v part that nestour provides (with the 5.5mm at the end) and tap directly into the wires that power the 12v cigarette lighter in the armrest with a couple T-Taps? I just don't want to blow anything or have it overpowered and I'm not sure if I need some type of resistor or fuse or converter. Is it a 12v to 5v? Or is it just 12v straight thru. I've been beating myself up for the passed few days about how to do the best clean install because I want to hide all the wires.

I'm just paranoid bc I love the car and can't afford an electrical disaster and this is something as simple as a led light kit but I am just not a professional. I've t tapped speakers and installed them etc but just wanna make quadruple sure before doing this.

I got that 2nd screen grab from this video but he has a relay attached to it and ran it to both left and right sides of the car. That's where he lost me.

Also I was debating on drilling a small hole and stashing the kit in the rear of the armrest by the ac vents, like a couple of the guys in here did. But I just can't bring myself to drill the hole and really don't want anything inside the armrest compartment tbh it's already fairly cluttered 😔 the entire kit will be stashed in the hold directly beneath the cup holders and wires would be stashed along the sides of the console as necessary.

i think your best bet is to use a relay and tap it into the footwell lights. or even try powering directly from the footwell lights but i've read that will cause the e-fuse to trip.

if you plug directly into the 12v, the lights will remain on if your car is awake or while sentry is on (unless you want to manually turn them off and on every time).

Tapping the footwells is always risky. You risk vcleft errors and tripping e-fuse. A few of us here leave the lights on. They will shut when the car sleeps. Even if they’re on for 10-12 hours the drain is so minimal it would probably use up 2-3 miles of est. range at best.

That also assumes you have footwell lights in your car. If you have an sr+ they’re software disabled, and I don’t believe they get power. I could be wrong on that, but I’m gonna stick by it for now.

For my install I ended up hiding the emitter bridge behind the kick plate below the rear vent. I ran the two strips (I have gen 1 console) for the console all the way to the back and snaked them down. Same with 12v power line from socket. It’s pretty clean I’ll attach a pic for reference in a few minutes. I then ran the two emitters for the dash under the driver and passenger seat carpets, up along the door sill to the ends of the dash panel and attached emitters on both ends for better distribution through the dash fiber.

Honestly I personally would avoid tapping if possible.

Tapping the footwells is always risky. You risk vcleft errors and tripping e-fuse. A few of us here leave the lights on. They will shut when the car sleeps. Even if they’re on for 10-12 hours the drain is so minimal it would probably use up 2-3 miles of est. range at best.

That also assumes you have footwell lights in your car. If you have an sr+ they’re software disabled, and I don’t believe they get power. I could be wrong on that, but I’m gonna stick by it for now.

For my install I ended up hiding the emitter bridge behind the kick plate below the rear vent. I ran the two strips (I have gen 1 console) for the console all the way to the back and snaked them down. Same with 12v power line from socket. It’s pretty clean I’ll attach a pic for reference in a few minutes. I then ran the two emitters for the dash under the driver and passenger seat carpets, up along the door sill to the ends of the dash panel and attached emitters on both ends for better distribution through the dash fiber.

Honestly I personally would avoid tapping if possible.

you don't worry about drawing too much attention having them on with sentry?

somewhere on this board someone put schematics for a relay and it worked perfectly. of course, assuming you have footwell lights. it also has the added benefit of being controllable with the screen via ambient light button.

I dont use sentry mode often, it's already a battery-drainer. Essentially the lights would plug into the 12v socket and nestour recommends keeping the button pressed to the "ON" position anyway. It's literally the same thing as having them plugged into the socket except without the eyesore. Also, the led kit can be powered on/off remotely from the app if I really want/need them off.

I just want to know if tapping into the 12v wires is safe and efficient. Thats all. I don't want to trip a fuse or damage anything.

you don't worry about drawing too much attention having them on with sentry?

somewhere on this board someone put schematics for a relay and it worked perfectly. of course, assuming you have footwell lights. it also has the added benefit of being controllable with the screen via ambient light button.
Nah, if I’m somewhere I really don’t want to attract attention I’ll switch them off. They’re barely visible through my tint anyway.

The apps are all different. I don’t have a nestour kit, I have a SUMK, I believe they use different apps. I don’t think I have ever turned them on or off with the app after the initial setup. Not saying it’s a bad option but to me opening the console and pressing the button is easier than remembering which generic led app I have to use for those lights (I also have hansshow frunk led and that uses another app as well)

I just want to know if tapping into the 12v wires is safe and efficient. Thats all. I don't want to trip a fuse or damage anything.
Unfortunately, I don’t think you’ll find a definitive answer on this. Most folks who tap aftermarket products directly to the vehicle’s 12v wire do not have a problem. However, occasionally, some do for whatever reason. Ultimately, you just have to accept there is a slight risk and decide for yourself it’s worth the risk.

Do the kits have a memory? I.e what colour you used when you last switched it off, as I don’t want to keep using an app or buttons, I.e set the colour once and that’s it.
Not sure about every kit out there, but the 3 that I’ve tried/used thus far (Basenor, Nestour and now SUMK) do remember the last light color/pattern selected.

Welp I did it and I have no regrets. Cleanest install ever. It took me a week but well worth it. The nestour set is a little cheap and I had trouble with the way the plastic tubing fits into the groves of the back of the seats and also the center console trim. But i have to learn to live with it. You improvise as you go with these sets. No two are alike and no two installs are the same. I've seen people say this install took 30 min. I've seen others say 2 hrs. And then there's me, who took a week because I wanted it perfect. Let's see how long it lasts now.

Also I noticed someone mention that there should be a light source at each side of the dash in order for it to be brighter and more consistent. But I'm not sure how that's possible considering they only give you 5 led heads and 5 leads. One for each seat back, one for each side of the center console and one for the dash. I don't mind the dash being a little slightly dimmer as it is higher up and the reflection in the windshield is minimal. 🤷

Dropbox video links below.

Welp I did it and I have no regrets. Cleanest install ever. It took me a week but well worth it. The nestour set is a little cheap and I had trouble with the way the plastic tubing fits into the groves of the back of the seats and also the center console trim. But i have to learn to live with it. You improvise as you go with these sets. No two are alike and no two installs are the same. I've seen people say this install took 30 min. I've seen others say 2 hrs. And then there's me, who took a week because I wanted it perfect. Let's see how long it lasts now.

Also I noticed someone mention that there should be a light source at each side of the dash in order for it to be brighter and more consistent. But I'm not sure how that's possible considering they only give you 5 led heads and 5 leads. One for each seat back, one for each side of the center console and one for the dash. I don't mind the dash being a little slightly dimmer as it is higher up and the reflection in the windshield is minimal. 🤷

Dropbox video links below.

Which puddle lights do you have?

Looks good. Well done.

So, the Nestour branded kit you purchased has only one emitter to power their 1-piece dashboard light tube. However, the dashboard lights from a few other brands/kits (like SUMK… which apparently has changed their name to VIHIMAI on Amazon) are a 2-piece non-continuous design. Therefore, to provide power/light to both of their dashboard light strips, they include two emitters (one for each end of their dashboard light strips) with their kit.

As mentioned in some of my earlier posts, SUMK/VIHIMAI’s 2-piece dashboard light design sucks, but I feel their emitter design and their light strip profile/shape are both superior to the types that are used by just about every other brand out there (like Nestour, Basenor, etc…). Ultimately, I ended up using the emitters and center console light strip from SUMK/VIHIMAI, and I found/purchased another different type of light strip from AliExpress for my dashboard. IMO, this combination resulted in the cleanest and most professional looking ambient lights.

However, if you’re happy with the Nestour kit/result, then I strongly suggest sticking with what you have. I tend to over-think/engineer everything that I do, and these ambient lights were no exception! 🤓

Reactions: PauliePucks
Ordered the SUMK kit for my new M3P and noticed that the thin metal wire that runs through plastic on the ones pictured in this thread is no longer included. In addition the dash tubes are still two piece. Sending back to Amazon, but just wanted to let you all know. Going to order a few others and see what I can find.

Ordered the SUMK kit for my new M3P and noticed that the thin metal wire that runs through plastic on the ones pictured in this thread is no longer included. In addition the dash tubes are still two piece. Sending back to Amazon, but just wanted to let you all know. Going to order a few others and see what I can find.
Some of us that have the SUMK kit opted for an acrylic single piece strip from AliExpress in lieu of the two piece that SUMK includes. We have the light emitters connected on both ends.

Can you send me the link for the Sumk kit? I cant find it on Amazon. Thanks

For me.....it's between these two options...I like one because it replaces the center dash with a touch screen, and the other is quite nice as well, but both are the real deal full replacements one of them actually replaces the metal with perforated dash... been eying these for a while:

Last edited:
Reactions: PauliePucks