Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 DIY Light kits: Review and installation tips, with pics

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, what kit/solution looks best (thinnest) at daylight ?
The kits which look best during the day (and night) are the very expensive ones ($300-$600) and also require removable & modification of your existing trim work. Not something that the average DIYer will want to tackle on his/her own.

If you are looking for the best kit that is say under $100 (and looks very thin/clean/discreet during the day and night), then I would say one does not exist. However, you can still accomplish/get what you’re after, by piecing together a kit and a stand-alone light strip. In essence, you are sort of building your own kit. I recommend getting the attached kit from Amazon. It is from a reseller named “VIHIMAI” (they used to be called SUMK). Here is the link…

Use the controller/emitters and only the console light strip from the above linked Amazon kit. Throw away the dashboard light strips from this kit, because they are poorly designed and do not look good when installed.

For the dashboard lights, purchase the attached light strip separately from AliExpress. It is super thin and looks much better/cleaner when installed correctly. You will need to cut this light strip to the desired length to fit the width of your dashboard. You will use the emitters from the Amazon kit to power this light strip from AliExpress. Lots of information/photos/instructions on how to do everything in my previous posts on this thread. Good luck and have fun!

5AE7F24B-55CC-4230-9412-13C797DD36A7.jpeg

Reactions: PauliePucks
61C98362-7447-4460-BF56-08A67CE57186.jpeg

This is the emitter kit GreenHokie referenced. I originally used the strips from AliExpress but they ended up breaking on me (through my own error, not the product) so I ended up Frankenstein-Ing a nestour kit, a VIHIMAI kit (SUMK) and a generic Neon Lightning kit. I used the light filament from the generic kit as it was the most flexible and allowed me to hide my runs cleanly.
Since the above pic I shrouded the ends of the dash with black heat shrink tubing to block the light bleed on the ends. I used the nestour kit’s filament tubing for the dash. It’s not the greatest, you can see from the pic, it gets a little warped over time but it’s mostly to my eye.

I completely agree there is no perfect kit. I’m looking into the full hard install kit, if I end up getting it, I’ll post a full video of the install and a review. My only reservation is that I have gen 1 console and I would have to go back to the piano black to accommodate the touch screen panel that goes by the cup holder.

Here’s a link to the one I’m looking at:

I’m trying to see if they’ll make me a white control panel 😈 because I’m that OCD. Lol

Reactions: GreenHokie
Sounds good, @PauliePucks

Please let us know how that full kit from Satonic works out, if you end up going that route.
From what I’ve gathered so far, the kits are so pricey because the boxes are very large and cost a lot to ship. There are a ton of parts and the dash trim and console trim are pretty long. I’m waiting to hear back from them on the white console touch panel still.

Damn, girl. They now have the ambient lights integrated/embedded into the carbon fiber part of the door trim?!
I‘d definitely get one of these kits, if I had a 2021 or later model year.
I agree @PauliePucks, where’s the love for us OG folks?! 🤣

View attachment 901911
How does one acquire burnt orange interior!?!?!? What sorcery is this, that looks amazing

Edit: maybe peanut butter leather? Either way take my money.

@GreenHokie im close to pulling the trigger on a 2.0 console swap. It’s less than 1k and takes about 45 minutes to do. Just have to source a data usb connector too. They’re not VIN specific you can order from tesla app.

Thanks for the update @PauliePucks!!

I have also toyed with the idea of changing to the new console. Perhaps some day. I’m actually more interested in swapping to the newer interior door panels (with the wrap-around wood trim… which I would replace with carbon fiber ones). Have you considered also changing out your door panels?

Damn, girl. They now have the ambient lights integrated/embedded into the carbon fiber part of the door trim?!
I‘d definitely get one of these kits, if I had a 2021 or later model year.
I agree @PauliePucks, where’s the love for us OG folks?! 🤣

View attachment 901911
I don't think glossy CF looks good on interiors, it's just glorified piano black. Also doesn't fit that orange interior at all. The actual pattern looks great though, much better than hansshow's ugly chain pattern Hansshow 2021+ Model 3/Y Active Ambient Lighting Upgrade Kit (hautopart.com)

I don't think glossy CF looks good on interiors, it's just glorified piano black. Also doesn't fit that orange interior at all. The actual pattern looks great though, much better than hansshow's ugly chain pattern Hansshow 2021+ Model 3/Y Active Ambient Lighting Upgrade Kit (hautopart.com)
Personally, I’m not a fan of the glossy CF. But, lots of folks like them. It’s nice to have different options/finishes. Otherwise, it would be boring if everyone had the exact same (matte) finish.

Yeah, the one Hansshow is selling with the wavy lines looks bad, IMO. However, I’m glad to see manufacturers coming out with all these newer styles/patterns.

Reactions: E.Potter
...lol...I'm working on carbon fiber vented fenders right now...but yes the kit will be on soon...I have lots of stuff to go on first...
So many mods so little time…I have a shiny box of auto present handles and soft close latches that has been staring at me for weeks. It’s saying “oh come on you know you want to dismantle all 4 doors in the dead of winter!” and I’m like yeah I do! 🤣🤣 and then I’ll film it for my channel like I’m Steven Spielberg. Then I hate myself in editing because I’m shivering throughout the entire install so I have to do a voice over on the whole thing.

Gluttons for punishment we are!!! At least our cars look 🔥

Reactions: E.Potter