Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 does not start charging on a scheduled Chargepoint Home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've been using our chargepoint Home for over 2 years with our Model S where the chargepoint has the electrical rate plan in the app and allows for charging when the rate drops to EV rate (11pm to 7am during the weekdays). On our S, I'd plug in the car when I get home and leave it. It would start charging after 11pm when the Chargepoint Home connector closes contactors and S sees voltage on the charger input.
With the 3, the same does not seem to work as it did with S. After a few trials, 3 would sometimes wake up and start charging but it would do so several hours into the night (3am instead of 11pm) or not charge at all.

Question is, is this something anyone else experienced or noticed. Also, I could not see any mention of if anywhere in the manual or the forums.
It is a RWD 3 with SW. 2018.36.2

Not the same, but having a similar issue. Ever since firmware 36.1, I notice my 3 doesn't start charging on its own when it's plugged in. I would have to wake up the car before it starts charging. It seems like it doesn't recognized that it's plugged in.

We've been using our chargepoint Home for over 2 years with our Model S where the chargepoint has the electrical rate plan in the app and allows for charging when the rate drops to EV rate (11pm to 7am during the weekdays). On our S, I'd plug in the car when I get home and leave it. It would start charging after 11pm when the Chargepoint Home connector closes contactors and S sees voltage on the charger input.
I suspect that is the same issue that prevents the button on the charger handle to work when the car is in sleep mode (see this thread). A J1772 EVSE does not actually put voltage on the charge pins without first doing a handshake with the car (to negotiate charge rate and other things). But the charger in the Model 3 does not appear to monitor the signaling lines in the charge port when the car is in sleep mode (probably the responsible component is turned off in sleep mode).

The car should start charging if you do anything that wakes up the car (e.g. opening the app on your phone). But I think the best solution in your case is to turn off the schedule on the Chargepoint EVSE and set the start time in the car to 11pm instead.

Yeah I assume the model3 charger does not check the prox and pilot lines while in sleep. Th issue with setting the schedule on the 3 is that on the weekends the schedule is different so when you plug it in during the day which is part of the lower rate, the car will not start charging.

Yeah I assume the model3 charger does not check the prox and pilot lines while in sleep. Th issue with setting the schedule on the 3 is that on the weekends the schedule is different so when you plug it in during the day which is part of the lower rate, the car will not start charging.

I sure hope they can fix this with an OTA update. This feels like a defect that Tesla needs to fix.

I know of at least one person that had a receptacle that the power company only turned on during an eight hour window overnight. They need the car to start charging as soon as the charger gets power.

I would open a support ticket on this and nag Tesla to fix it.

I guess I have a similar issue with my ChargePoint charger at work? On average, my Model 3 stops charging every 60-90 minutes and charging does not resume until I wake up the car using the phone app. Not good when you are paying ChargePoint by the hour...

Bolt and Leaf owners have no problem with the same Chargepoint charger.