Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 doesnt sleep with new firmware setting that leaves car unlocked while at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone else having this problem? Ever since the new firmware update which allows you to "exclude home" when using the walk-away lock feature. Now my car doesnt fall asleep at all. I also got the 2020.24.6.4 update yesterday hoping this would be fixed, its not .
Anyone else experiencing this?

Reactions: jsmay311
Have you tried forcing it to sleep?

Reset MCU then after reboot hit Power Off from Menu and leave car. This forces it to sleep. Even if it doesn't lock let it sleep for a while (½ hour of more) then get in and do another MCU reboot.

I was having similar issues until I deleted the TeslaFi token for our new Model Y (2020.20.12), it’s all good now. What’s weird is my 3 has no issues but it’s on 2020.24.6.4
ok, I deleted my token and added a new one...will report back to see if that has changed anything.
the car is charging for a few hours so I wont be able to test it right away.

(I noticed in your comment that you mentioned your model Y had this problem on 2020.20.12 but the "exclude home" feature wasnt added until 2020.24... so maybe unrelated to the problem I am experiencing..My car sleeps with with door locked at home..)

ok, I deleted my token and added a new one...will report back to see if that has changed anything.
the car is charging for a few hours so I wont be able to test it right away.

(I noticed in your comment that you mentioned your model Y had this problem on 2020.20.12 but the "exclude home" feature wasnt added until 2020.24... so maybe unrelated to the problem I am experiencing..My car sleeps with with door locked at home..)

Sorry, you’re correct that exclude home is on .24, I was trying to say my 3 hasn’t had any issues with any sleeping or anything for a long time but our new Y has been having issues and I think it relates to TeslaFi polling it constantly. I deleted their token out right and haven’t given them access back yet. I’m waiting until our Y gets the latest 2020.20.6.4 or higher before allowing TeslaFi back in.

I also run Stats app for both cars but that doesn’t seem to be an issue but I don’t fully understand how the API’s work so...

Sorry, you’re correct that exclude home is on .24, I was trying to say my 3 hasn’t had any issues with any sleeping or anything for a long time but our new Y has been having issues and I think it relates to TeslaFi polling it constantly. I deleted their token out right and haven’t given them access back yet. I’m waiting until our Y gets the latest 2020.20.6.4 or higher before allowing TeslaFi back in.

I also run Stats app for both cars but that doesn’t seem to be an issue but I don’t fully understand how the API’s work so...
interesting..I foudn that when I ran stats app in conjunction with teslafi, it would never allow the car to sleep either
(this was a long time ago, I stopped using stats shortly after getting the car)

TeslaFi, Stats, TeslaMate, and any other service that polls the API for data remotely have a risk of keeping your car awake.

They all need to guess when the car is ready to sleep, and about how long they need to not talk to the car to allow it do to so. If any of their assumptions are wrong (or become wrong via updates to the API or the car), they can end up keeping the car awake.

This could be a bug with the new feature, but it's more likely something to do with TeslaFi. TeslaFi specifically asks that Cabin Overheat Protection is disabled so they can tell when the car is ready to sleep. They imply without this feature, a temperature value stops updating when the car is ready to sleep. Maybe the new lock feature keeps this value going so TeslaFi can't tell. Maybe Tesla has changed the times or behaviours. Many variables.

And the reason using more than one service may keep the car awake is they allow the car to potentially sleep by not talking to it. If another service talks to it while another is trying to let it sleep, they're stepping on each other's toes.

EDIT: As some anecdote, TeslaFi says they allow 15 minutes for the car to sleep. We wrote something for our smart mirror, and found we need to use 30 minutes to give it any hope of sleeping. YMMV?

Last edited:
TeslaFi, Stats, TeslaMate, and any other service that polls the API for data remotely have a risk of keeping your car awake.

They all need to guess when the car is ready to sleep, and about how long they need to not talk to the car to allow it do to so. If any of their assumptions are wrong (or become wrong via updates to the API or the car), they can end up keeping the car awake.

This could be a bug with the new feature, but it's more likely something to do with TeslaFi. TeslaFi specifically asks that Cabin Overheat Protection is disabled so they can tell when the car is ready to sleep. They imply without this feature, a temperature value stops updating when the car is ready to sleep. Maybe the new lock feature keeps this value going so TeslaFi can't tell. Maybe Tesla has changed the times or behaviours. Many variables.

And the reason using more than one service may keep the car awake is they allow the car to potentially sleep by not talking to it. If another service talks to it while another is trying to let it sleep, they're stepping on each other's toes.

EDIT: As some anecdote, TeslaFi says they allow 15 minutes for the car to sleep. We wrote something for our smart mirror, and found we need to use 30 minutes to give it any hope of sleeping. YMMV?

nothing has changed..I have been using teslafi for months and the car sleeps as it should. with the new software and leaving the door unlocked at home in my garage, it now does not sleep. nothing else has changed. ..long ago I dealt with the car unable to sleep when being polled by 2 apps, but this isnt the problem right now, I only use teslafi. I will try deleting the teslafi token so it isnt getting polled and I will see if its able to sleep with the new "exclude from home" lock setting.

Mine will sleep, but it does take longer (like a minute).

I had my first glitch with the screen not turning on from the last update. So far, the screen has been starting up as normal since this small update.