Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 - Dog and Baby Tetris.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

I was wondering whether any of you have had to get their 'significant other', a baby and a dog in their M3 at the same time? The dog is a border collie so medium sized dog and is more than happy in the boot of hatchbacks with the parcel shelf removed.

I'm picking up my M3 at the end of the month and whilst I'll admit the M3 isn't an E Class estate in terms of dog and luggage carrying ability. It's not completely impractical as a family car, and I'm of the opinion that where there's a will, there's a way.

My thoughts so far are:

Option 1:
Baby in the front
Dog and adult in the back
With some form of seat protection and restraint

Option 2:
Adult in front
Baby and dog in the back
With seat protection and a restraint (that would guarantee the dog could get near the baby
*this is my least favourite option

Option 3:
Adult in front
Baby in the 60% split side of the rear seats.
Dog in boot with the 40% split dropped and a loose weave net over the hole
the boot would need protection and a way of splitting the boot so we can still carry luggage pram etc

Does anyone have any advice/experience?

I’d suggest the boot space isn’t tall enough for a border collie to be able to stand up... Baby in the front is probably your best option.
Thanks, I guess it'd be a tape measure job to assess that.
If this car is for regular family use (including dog) and I apologise in advance for what I am about to say.

Maybe you need a Model Y or some other electric SUV (Mercedes EQA, VW ID4 ?)
No... 90% of the time it'll be me on my tod. I would have a Y but as far as I know Tesla have a mañana stance to Model Ys in the UK.

Enjoy then :) I find it's a car that is best enjoyed alone - Passengers tend to get a little excitable when you exploit it's ample performance.

What I will say is I had a Mercedes E-Class and Model 3 on the drive and what started to happen is the Mercedes started getting less and less use. Between the infotainment (the kids love spotify) and the running costs Model 3 just took over

Depends on the dog temperament, and how they react to having their owner close by. E.g does it make them wiggly? We have two BC's and having an adult close by makes them think "fun time"

So I would suggest Adult in front, Baby and dog in back. It's also safer as no airbags need to be disabled etc.

We brought one of those dog hammocks for the back of the car so the dogs and and passenger are separated. Something like this . Kurgo Heather Half Hammock Seat Cover for Pets, Pet Seat Cover, Dog Car Hammock: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies

Reactions: Llama. and Jez_GB
It's not completely impractical as a family car, and I'm of the opinion that where there's a will, there's a way.

Oh how expectations have changed! So, for your entertainment, I will add a photograph from 1965 ... me, my older brother, my mother, my stepfather ... along with family dog travelled inside the car ... and our cat in a wooden "orange box" on the open boot lid. We were moving house from Wigan to central Scotland. Yes, the Mini overheated a bit going up Shap (M6 hadn't been extended that far) but after a short stop to cool down all was well. The cat went quiet after a few miles .. with hindsight he was probably sedated by carbon monoxide fumes from the exhaust pipe just underneath him ... but he was fine. That was a family car.
minimove.jpg

Our whippet sits on the bank bench relatively contently now (when she’s not driving, see pics) - although it was a bit of a journey to get her to do so. We put a blanket over the back seats and she is plugged into the seat belt via a harness. The seat heaters are a godsend - and tend to send her into a coma.

We also have a little one (child!) on the way later in the year. The working assumption is that they should be fine together in the back, as the harness restraint shouldn’t allow the dog sufficient freedom to get over to the other side of the back seats.

I agree the boot is completely impractical for dogs!

Attachments

• 72A5159A-5855-4B60-9659-A6BF605CD5CB.jpeg
    72A5159A-5855-4B60-9659-A6BF605CD5CB.jpeg
    191.3 KB · Views: 136
  • D0102DE0-B553-4EB2-8A39-AD551B8DAE79.jpeg
    D0102DE0-B553-4EB2-8A39-AD551B8DAE79.jpeg
    169 KB · Views: 109
Passengers tend to get a little excitable when you exploit it's ample performance.
I can imagine... In all the faster cars I've had before the downshift tended to give the game away somewhat.

Depends on the dog temperament, and how they react to having their owner close by. E.g does it make them wiggly? We have two BC's and having an adult close by makes them think "fun time"

So I would suggest Adult in front, Baby and dog in back. It's also safer as no airbags need to be disabled etc.

We brought one of those dog hammocks for the back of the car so the dogs and and passenger are separated. Something like this . Kurgo Heather Half Hammock Seat Cover for Pets, Pet Seat Cover, Dog Car Hammock: Amazon.co.uk: Pet Supplies
Our whippet sits on the bank bench relatively contently now (when she’s not driving, see pics) - although it was a bit of a journey to get her to do so. We put a blanket over the back seats and she is plugged into the seat belt via a harness. The seat heaters are a godsend - and tend to send her into a coma.

We also have a little one (child!) on the way later in the year. The working assumption is that they should be fine together in the back, as the harness restraint shouldn’t allow the dog sufficient freedom to get over to the other side of the back seats.

Thanks, I'm starting to think this config will work. There's been some 'discussion' in our house as to whether having double trouble together in the back might be asking for trouble, but with restraints and cell walls, I think we'll be able to keep the prisoners in check ;)

I am a little worried about using the dog warmer though... Doug (the dog) sleeps like the picture below and his sprinkler system has been know to be triggered be heat.

IMG_1168.jpg

Reactions: Stranger Dings
Could the dog go on the floor in the back? With no transmission tunnel, the flat back floor has more space than conventional vehicles.

Failing that, I reckon he’ll be on the back seat. Hope the seats are well protected.

I'd not thought of that... I tend to have to put seats right to the end of their runners but there might be room behind the missus. I have a nagging feeling that there's some requirement to have dogs restrained which might be struggle on the floor.

I was speaking to a friend with a Cocker Spaniel that a little bigger than our dog and they had this Amazon - Dog Seat. I thought something like this might be a little small but apparently it's settled the cocker in the car. Both the cocker and my dog try and surf if they're free in the boot. It makes me want to stick Wipe Out by the Beach Boys on the stereo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Stranger Dings

Long time after your post I know...but I don't suppose you have an update on the whippet and new baby scenario in your Model 3? We will be in exactly the same situation early next year. I'm longing for a Model 3 and don't really want the extra size of a Model Y but fear it might be impractical. Our whippet generally settles down ok on the back seat of our A-Class at the moment, so I think it's more just a question of how much space there would be for a baby car seat (and potentially a small adult in the back in emergency scenarios!). Any insight gratefully received!

Long time after your post I know...but I don't suppose you have an update on the whippet and new baby scenario in your Model 3? We will be in exactly the same situation early next year. I'm longing for a Model 3 and don't really want the extra size of a Model Y but fear it might be impractical. Our whippet generally settles down ok on the back seat of our A-Class at the moment, so I think it's more just a question of how much space there would be for a baby car seat (and potentially a small adult in the back in emergency scenarios!). Any insight gratefully received!
Sure! I’ll try and get a picture tomorrow but the summary is that it does work.

There is sufficient room for the dog, an Isofix car seat and occasionally an adult passenger in the back (so long as the passenger is happy for the dog to rest its head on their lap)!

When it is just the dog and the baby in the back there is plenty of room for our dog at least.

I’d say the bigger “issue” than the backseats is the size of the boot, particularly the size of the opening. It’s not spectacularly easy to throw a folded pushchair and bassinet in - and requires some Tetris. This is where I think the Model Y would excel with its hatchback.

Sure! I’ll try and get a picture tomorrow but the summary is that it does work.

There is sufficient room for the dog, an Isofix car seat and occasionally an adult passenger in the back (so long as the passenger is happy for the dog to rest its head on their lap)!

When it is just the dog and the baby in the back there is plenty of room for our dog at least.

I’d say the bigger “issue” than the backseats is the size of the boot, particularly the size of the opening. It’s not spectacularly easy to throw a folded pushchair and bassinet in - and requires some Tetris. This is where I think the Model Y would excel with its hatchback.
Thanks very much! Really helpful.

Yeah had wondered about the boot opening. Seems like there’s probably enough space actually in there…it’s just getting the stuff in there to start with. I’d be much more inclined to just go for a Y if the dealer hadn’t told me he thinks that late June delivery is now likely - that’s a little late (both for baby and my limited patience).

Maybe I can try and suggest to my wife that it’ll just encourage us to carry around less stuff…

It’s not spectacularly easy to throw a folded pushchair and bassinet in - and requires some Tetris. This is where I think the Model Y would excel with its hatchback.

Pushchairs appear to have developed the "SUV" problem. Do they really need to be so enormous? I'm not experienced in such matters but it surprises me that a folded pushchair should be a problem in a Model 3 boot ... but clearly it is!

Pushchairs appear to have developed the "SUV" problem. Do they really need to be so enormous? I'm not experienced in such matters but it surprises me that a folded pushchair should be a problem in a Model 3 boot ... but clearly it is!
We’ve got a 7 week old girl and this podt comes during the night feed. We went for what I’d say is a fairly compact pram but as the basket/bassinet bit doesn’t fold down it takes up half the boot and the base takes another quarter which I never envisioned when we bought the car.

We’ve got a holiday booked to centreparcs in March and I’ve just ordered roof bars so I can store the pram/pushchair on the car (in a box) and the clothes/steriliser/Myriad of other baby items in the boot 🤣

Tetris as the thread is named seems pretty accurate to me and I like to think I’m excellent at bagging up the weekly shop.