Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Door Handles - Here is how they actually work

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not trying to pick on you, but a remark like that from someone living in South Florida seems more than a little condescending towards all those living in areas where problems like those Luke42 described are commonplace.

I am all for Tesla's ethos per se, but when I have my car covered in ice and want/need to to open my doors asap, then I don't give a sh** about said ethos, then I just want my smegging doors to open.
AustinPowers...I'm confused that you misunderstood my comment. How did you get "condescending" out of that?
Allow me to clarify.

The new Model 3 exterior door handles do not need to be automated to be functional. The concept handles on the Silver and Tesla Red versions are very nice as they are which generated my comment. "The Tesla ethos" is that the door handle fits flush with the body paneling which ultimately reduces drag. Your apology is accepted...Gospeed and happy motoring.

Reactions: newtman
As long as we are talking weather....there has been flooding all across southern US. If a Tesla gets door-sill high in a puddle, does it short out and send sparks flying? I see pickups forging ahead with water mid door height, just enough to keep carb above water line. Can a tesla be a submarine? how deep/how long is OK?

AustinPowers...I'm confused that you misunderstood my comment. How did you get "condescending" out of that?
Allow me to clarify.

The new Model 3 exterior door handles do not need to be automated to be functional. The concept handles on the Silver and Tesla Red versions are very nice as they are which generated my comment. "The Tesla ethos" is that the door handle fits flush with the body paneling which ultimately reduces drag. Your apology is accepted...Gospeed and happy motoring.

Thanks for the clarification. Turns out I really misunderstood your post. Not being a native speaker of English does have its drawbacks.
I read your original comment as in "why bother about problems the door handle design might cause, as long as they fit Tesla's ethos". And by ethos I thought you meant their often displayed edict of "form over function", as is undoubtedly sometimes the case with Tesla, especially (but not exclusively) on the Model S original interior.
Your comment - as I understood it, combined with the fact that you live in Florida, where winterly weather conditions like we often get over here (or in Norway, Switzerland, etc.) must be very uncommon, led me to my remark. Perhaps condescending was in fact the wrong word, but it was the best I could think of at the time to convey what I meant. My apologies for that indeed. I still can't think of a better word though, but then again, as I said, it is not my native language.

i hope the electronic latches are reliable.
I'm sure there was the same thought when windows & locks first started showing up as electric.
And my understanding on the Model 3 handles is both the lever on the exterior and the button on the interior, you are depressing a mechanical button that triggers a mechanical door popper. So less electronic and more mechanical (to some degree) as what is on the S/X.

I'm sure there was the same thought when windows & locks first started showing up as electric.
And my understanding on the Model 3 handles is both the lever on the exterior and the button on the interior, you are depressing a mechanical button that triggers a mechanical door popper. So less electronic and more mechanical (to some degree) as what is on the S/X.
Yeah let's hope so. Reading the X forum and seeing that when folks have issues with the doors they really have issues.

People STILL have problems with powered windows. If I had my druthers, I would have cranks on all windows (plus motors).

Being able to apply force to an iced latch is a big help. I don't see any advantage to a switch and actuator.

Thank you kindly.

It's not difficult to imagine a door handle heater, as part of a Winter Option Package, if you live in places like Upstate New York, where ice storms can be pretty common...

Then again, why are you trying to drive your car in an ice storm? *shrugs*