Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Door Handles: What Are They Made Of?

cadetsea

May 27, 2019
Kelowna
I remember seeing a photo of one that had been snapped in half (some vandal pushed in the handle and pulled towards the front of the car until it broke) - seemed to look like hollow plastic, but I can't seem to find it again.

The handles do get hot enough in the sun, so I guess the coating is actual chrome?

RC2785

Dec 27, 2018
Chicago
Is this the picture you're referring to?
zI7jlxu.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: cadetsea

CrayZ1

Banned
Jan 14, 2020
Horsetown USA
Dunno, I'd guess cheapskatium. Or is that cheapalloy?

Note: The Jaguar EV starts at over $60k and is $90k nicely kitted. It has plastic door handles too.

kbecks13

Dec 27, 2017
SoCal
Least they could do down the line is offer chrome delete option. I bet people would pay $5-600 for what is effectively nearly 0 cost after tooling paid for.

Configuration management is definitely not free though, just think of all the annoying demand planning that would require. Tesla likes to reaaalllly limit options :)

ElectricIAC

Devil’s Advocate
Dec 31, 2019
DFW
Configuration management is definitely not free though, just think of all the annoying demand planning that would require. Tesla likes to reaaalllly limit options :)
Hey: if it’s going to be standard on Y as it appears then why not offer it for 3? :D

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC