TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model 3 Door Handles

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by SureValla, Mar 20, 2016.

?

Do you think the Model 3's door handles will retract like Model S.?

Poll closed Mar 31, 2016.
  1. Yes

50 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. No

144 vote(s)
    74.2%
  1. SureValla

SureValla Member

The door handles on Model S were the first thing that made me love the car. I'm wondering if the model 3 will go for a similar wow factor or cut this feature for cost or other purposes.

2. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

I hope not. They have been problematic on the S, and I would rather not have to deal with them long term. They went a different direction with the X, so who knows what we will see on the 3.

I am hoping for plain Jane mechanical door handles though.

• Like x 5
  3. Lesifass

Lesifass Member

Agreed. Might be safer in case of an accident, too, as it is easier to open the door from the outside if there's not a lot of damage, but you can't open the door yourself for whatever reason. And the special instructions for opening the rear doors in the Model S in case of a power failure are quite scarry, hopefully that mechanism is much simpler (i.e. just pull the handle) for the Model 3.

4. Fallenone

Fallenone Active Member

I don't really wish to have that too. Unless it's introduced as an option as part of "luxury package" or something.

5. Bimbels

Bimbels GoldMember

I don't think they'll retract. I think they will be flush like the X.

• Like x 3
  6. RandyS

RandyS Fan of Elon

My vote is for a look that is similar to the Model S and X (chrome, flush), but is really a traditional handle that pivots at the top. They look the same but lack the motorized complexity...

7. ProphetM

ProphetM Member

I'm not really sure why motorized complexity would be more complex than the mechanical complexity of standard door handles. My guess is that they will be like the X.

8. Red Sage

Red Sage The Cybernetic Samurai

At this point, I don't think so. The style used on the Model X looks to be the future.

9. AlanSqB

AlanSqB Member

Think they will retract: yes.

Want them to retract: no.

Please, let this car have fewer gizmos.

• Like x 2
  10. Spidy

Spidy Member

The Model X ones require electrical motors otherwise that is annoying as hell.

The issues with all those solutions is that they are expensive and prone to failure. I don't think people would be happy with those and stuff like that is also exactly what gets you bad reliability ratings.

11. ProphetM

ProphetM Member

Just how expensive are they? And how prone to failure are they? Practically all cars have power windows now and they don't seem particularly failure-prone. Power lift gates are getting pretty common as well. Why would door-opening motors be different than those? I don't think it's a given that a motor would be more expensive than a two-handled mechanical linkage & power locking setup when taking all variables into account. I would love to see an accounting of the true costs of each but I doubt it's possible to dig that far into the detail with any accuracy.

• Like x 3
  12. ZAKEEUS

ZAKEEUS Member

I think they will look just like the S and X but work differently. You press the door "handle" and the door pops open without a motor. Kinda like some microwave doors are.

• Like x 1
  13. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

I have yet to have a failure (knock on wood) with my MS handles and they are still one of my favorite features, but I would guess they go with something akin to the MX for the M3. Flush door handles seem to be a Tesla thing, so I would not expect that to change with the M3.

• Like x 1
  14. boiler81

boiler81 Member

The MS motorized handles are way too complex and costly for the M3. The Motley Fool reports they are a reliability issue on the MS and the "out-of-warranty cost to repair one is $1,300". I don't see this design of handle being offered even with the fully optioned M3. Hopefully a less complex, more reliable, and less costly and aero design will make it on the M3.

• Like x 1
  15. James Anders

James Anders Member

Oh god I hope not. Flush door handles are fine. I've had many cars that had flush handles and were aerodynamically neutral. Auto presenting is just gilding the lily and introducing another failure mode. And they have failed way too much.

• Like x 1
  16. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

Ugh, I certainly hope not. It's gimmicky and rather tacky IMHO.

17. ArtC

ArtC Member

Basic doors handles would be fine with me.

18. William13

William13 Member

Flush door handles due to price point and differentiation..

19. CyberKnife

CyberKnife Member

I think for base 35k Model 3 they may resort to traditional handles that are seen in other cars. I would think the mechanical engineers would be able to design a door with same parts for most of the door components that work for traditional handles and X's flush automatic door. I think there will be a 'premium' experience package where the X's flush automatic door will be offered. I think the S will be refreshed with the flush handles.

20. Trev Page

Trev Page Member

Pretty much my thinking too. Flush handles keeps the aerodynamics in check and maintains Tesla's design ethics. I have a feeling they will be "push to open" end the door will pop open enough to grab the door and open it all the way but not auto-open like the Model X does.