Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Door Handles

Do you think the Model 3's door handles will retract like Model S.?

• Yes

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 144 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am hoping for plain Jane mechanical door handles though.

Agreed. Might be safer in case of an accident, too, as it is easier to open the door from the outside if there's not a lot of damage, but you can't open the door yourself for whatever reason. And the special instructions for opening the rear doors in the Model S in case of a power failure are quite scarry, hopefully that mechanism is much simpler (i.e. just pull the handle) for the Model 3.

I hope not. They have been problematic on the S, and I would rather not have to deal with them long term. They went a different direction with the X, so who knows what we will see on the 3.

I am hoping for plain Jane mechanical door handles though.
I don't really wish to have that too. Unless it's introduced as an option as part of "luxury package" or something.

The Model X ones require electrical motors otherwise that is annoying as hell.

The issues with all those solutions is that they are expensive and prone to failure. I don't think people would be happy with those and stuff like that is also exactly what gets you bad reliability ratings.

Just how expensive are they? And how prone to failure are they? Practically all cars have power windows now and they don't seem particularly failure-prone. Power lift gates are getting pretty common as well. Why would door-opening motors be different than those? I don't think it's a given that a motor would be more expensive than a two-handled mechanical linkage & power locking setup when taking all variables into account. I would love to see an accounting of the true costs of each but I doubt it's possible to dig that far into the detail with any accuracy.

The MS motorized handles are way too complex and costly for the M3. The Motley Fool reports they are a reliability issue on the MS and the "out-of-warranty cost to repair one is $1,300". I don't see this design of handle being offered even with the fully optioned M3. Hopefully a less complex, more reliable, and less costly and aero design will make it on the M3.

Reactions: Scott Wilcox
I think for base 35k Model 3 they may resort to traditional handles that are seen in other cars. I would think the mechanical engineers would be able to design a door with same parts for most of the door components that work for traditional handles and X's flush automatic door. I think there will be a 'premium' experience package where the X's flush automatic door will be offered. I think the S will be refreshed with the flush handles.