Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Door Handles

Do you think the Model 3's door handles will retract like Model S.?

• Yes

Votes: 50 25.8%
  • No

Votes: 144 74.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can the company have the 'nads to charge $1000 for a replacement door handle? It didn't cost that much for each handle when the car was built, or to install them on the assembly line. Figure $100 for each handle (and that is being generous) and another $200 or so in labor to install. So where does the company get off quoting $1000 per replacement?

How can the company have the 'nads to charge $1000 for a replacement door handle? It didn't cost that much for each handle when the car was built, or to install them on the assembly line. Figure $100 for each handle (and that is being generous) and another $200 or so in labor to install. So where does the company get off quoting $1000 per replacement?
Is it cause the handles are chrome?

Ah, this has been a sore spot with current owners if you read the Model S forums. The reason Tesla can charge that much is because Tesla is the only game in town to repair the vehicles. Sure, they claim they aren't making any money off service (like traditional dealers do), but that doesn't mean the service and parts are cheap. Service labor rates are like $175/hour at many Tesla SC's, and parts are very expensive, I am guessing due to the minimal economies of scale.

Also, if you pull parts off of a junkyard car to fix the car yourself, you might still not be able to fully do the repair. If the repair involves any software or firmware resets after the replacement part is installed, you have to take it in to Tesla to have that done. There are a few brave souls out there trying to hack Teslas software to allow 3rd party access, but that is still a work in progress.

It's currently a big issue that a lot of Model 3 buyers are going to get some sticker shock for, especially if they don't service their cars at the dealer normally (there are no independent Tesla shops right now). This situation might eventually get fixed, but if you get your 3 early on, expect to have to pay Tesla rates for service.

Here are the current service inspection visit costs for a Model S: Service plans And that's just the regular maintenance, not out of warranty repairs. I sure hope they lower the rates for the Model 3, or this EV is going to be the most expensive car to maintain that I have ever owned

Agreed. Might be safer in case of an accident, too, as it is easier to open the door from the outside if there's not a lot of damage, but you can't open the door yourself for whatever reason. And the special instructions for opening the rear doors in the Model S in case of a power failure are quite scarry, hopefully that mechanism is much simpler (i.e. just pull the handle) for the Model 3.
In the case of an accident, the model S door handles will open automatically when it senses something wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: Red Sage
I keep trying to illuminate people that the traditional automobile industry is actually in the primary business of being the automobile spare parts replacement industry. All of the traditional internal combustion engine vehicles are just rolling spare parts conveyances. That is part of their profitability schedule from the moment the cars are conceived and designed, expecting in the neighborhood of fifteen to twenty years of replacement parts beyond warranty. Water pump, oil pump, clutch, transmission, fan, radiator, belt, chain, seal, gasket, piston, rod, head, block... And it is that conditioned expectation of a car falling apart around you for years on end that makes one fear the notion of a 'new technology' such as an electric car having only one source for sales of parts and servicing. Meh. Don't worry about it. Tesla Motors will take care of you.

• Helpful
Reactions: Kurt Foster
....Don't worry about it. Tesla Motors will take care of you.

Yes, Tesla will take care of you. Their service is very good. That doesn't mean you won't pay to be taken care of, though. Here are some out of warranty repair cost examples:

OMG: digitaltim’s delivery story… - $869 for a door handle
How much has your Model S cost you out of warranty? - $200 each for TPMS sensors, or $1400 to upgrade the TPMS antenna to the latest one
How much has your Model S cost you out of warranty? - $400 for 12V battery
How much has your Model S cost you out of warranty? - $527 for a charge port
How much has your Model S cost you out of warranty? - $650 for a UMC cable
How much has your Model S cost you out of warranty? - $800 for GPS antenna, harness and center brake light
Warranty beyond 100,000 Miles? - $1400 for rear upper control links, lug nuts, and TPMS sensors
Elon: "I think it’s terrible to make a profit on service" - $2900 for MCU replacement

Granted, these are for a $100k car, but they aren't getting a reputation for inexpensive service. I think people are used to having a choice, so that if they don't like what the dealer is charging, they can shop around and take their business elsewhere.

Hence the concern when buying a Model 3

As_Rael: The Service Centers for Telsa Motors have a reputation for providing superior service for Model S that when it requires a fee for parts/labor is perfectly in line with costs for doing repairs and maintenance on comparable vehicles from Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and AUDI. Saying that it is 'not cheap' is tantamount to filing a note under 'DUH'. Guess what? Numerous people enjoy driving BMW vehicles, but have routinely leased the 3-Series because they have come to know that at the 3-to-4 year mark, even after regular maintenance, they begin to have major repair issues. And the service for that is...? Wait for it... Wait... For... It... NOT CHEAP! So, yeah... Just as is the case with the AUDI A4, Acura TLX, BMW 3-Series, Cadillac ATS, Infiniti Q50, Jaguar XE, Lexus IS, and Mercedes-Benz C-Class... When it comes to out-of-warranty repairs for Tesla Model ☰ it will NOT be 'inexpensive'. No one should reasonably expect repair costs for a $35,000+ 2018 vehicle of any make to be as inexpensive to repair in 2024 as a 1989 Oldsmobile Delta Ninety-Eight.

As_Rael: The Service Centers for Telsa Motors have a reputation for providing superior service for Model S that when it requires a fee for parts/labor is perfectly in line with costs for doing repairs and maintenance on comparable vehicles from Mercedes-Benz, BMW, and AUDI. Saying that it is 'not cheap' is tantamount to filing a note under 'DUH'. Guess what? Numerous people enjoy driving BMW vehicles, but have routinely leased the 3-Series because they have come to know that at the 3-to-4 year mark, even after regular maintenance, they begin to have major repair issues. And the service for that is...? Wait for it... Wait... For... It... NOT CHEAP! So, yeah... Just as is the case with the AUDI A4, Acura TLX, BMW 3-Series, Cadillac ATS, Infiniti Q50, Jaguar XE, Lexus IS, and Mercedes-Benz C-Class... When it comes to out-of-warranty repairs for Tesla Model ☰ it will NOT be 'inexpensive'. No one should reasonably expect repair costs for a $35,000+ 2018 vehicle of any make to be as inexpensive to repair in 2024 as a 1989 Oldsmobile Delta Ninety-Eight.

You implied in your previous post that service/ repair cost was nothing to worry about. That this was one of the areas Tesla would be innovative in, breaking the mold of the dealership cost racket. Glad you agree with me that Teslas solution will be expensive and people should consider that. Teslas are just as expensive to maintain and repair (and sometimes more so) than their equivalent competition. And because of the walled garden for service that currently exists, people won't be able to find an independent alternative, like what exists now in the luxury world.

BTW, not all luxury cars cost that much to maintain. I drove a Lexus IS for 100k miles and only ever had to pay for maintenance, no repairs. We had a Acura TL that we drove for 130k miles, and again, only maintenance costs, no repairs. We replaced the Acura with a CPO Audi S4 warrantied to 100k miles and were able to buy a service plan covering all the maintenance up to 50k miles for $865. Which was extremely reasonable and includes all the perks like free loaners (Tesla currently charges $2000 for the same service plan that arguably covers LESS since EVs are supposed to be simpler to maintain). And BMW covers all maintenance up to 4 years/ 50k in the price of the car which even includes brakes, crazily enough.

I sure hope Tesla prices the Model 3 service plans to match their competition.

Edit: sigh, sorry for the rants, but in this one area, I have been very disappointed in Tesla. I really do hope they eventually are forced to change their tune and release repair data to more than just the one state that sued them to get it. EVs are supposed to cost less to maintain, not more.

Last edited:
Ah, this has been a sore spot with current owners if you read the Model S forums. The reason Tesla can charge that much is because Tesla is the only game in town to repair the vehicles. Sure, they claim they aren't making any money off service (like traditional dealers do), but that doesn't mean the service and parts are cheap. Service labor rates are like $175/hour at many Tesla SC's, and parts are very expensive, I am guessing due to the minimal economies of scale.

Also, if you pull parts off of a junkyard car to fix the car yourself, you might still not be able to fully do the repair. If the repair involves any software or firmware resets after the replacement part is installed, you have to take it in to Tesla to have that done. There are a few brave souls out there trying to hack Teslas software to allow 3rd party access, but that is still a work in progress.

It's currently a big issue that a lot of Model 3 buyers are going to get some sticker shock for, especially if they don't service their cars at the dealer normally (there are no independent Tesla shops right now). This situation might eventually get fixed, but if you get your 3 early on, expect to have to pay Tesla rates for service.

Here are the current service inspection visit costs for a Model S: Service plans And that's just the regular maintenance, not out of warranty repairs. I sure hope they lower the rates for the Model 3, or this EV is going to be the most expensive car to maintain that I have ever owned

Unless your local mechanic is also a HV electrician, you can't service competitor econo-EVs like Leafs or smart EVs outside dealers, either.

Well you can for non-EV parts, but EVs don't really have many non-electrical parts that can or do break.

While I love the Tesla handles on the current MS and MX I really want them to make something practical that is reliable and less prone to breaking. I want my Model 3 to be sexy but at the same time I don't want to have to worry about handles breaking because they are overly complicated. I wouldn't mind a handle that is on a 3 series BMW or something like that if it was a compromise to get them reliable. Personally I think the MS handles won't be on the car. I think the touch handles on the MX are more likely with an actuator. If Honda can put touch handles on their Odyssey (even though they aren't flush and only unlock the car) for that price range so can Tesla.

While I love the Tesla handles on the current MS and MX I really want them to make something practical that is reliable and less prone to breaking. I want my Model 3 to be sexy but at the same time I don't want to have to worry about handles breaking because they are overly complicated. I wouldn't mind a handle that is on a 3 series BMW or something like that if it was a compromise to get them reliable. Personally I think the MS handles won't be on the car. I think the touch handles on the MX are more likely with an actuator. If Honda can put touch handles on their Odyssey (even though they aren't flush and only unlock the car) for that price range so can Tesla.

One other thing to note is the S & X will still be around, and need things to differentiate the top end cars from the model 3's "car for the masses" vibe. Fancy door handles are a simple thing that says "Luxury" on the S & X.