Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 door window fell out. How?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

alexgr

Aug 13, 2019
window.jpg
I came across this report on InsideEVs and watched the video. The author (of the video) claims the window shuttered in many pieces before falling out. Then, she claimed the tint film has been holding the glass before it fell out. On the picture below I can see that the glass is cut pretty straight and it is not falling into pieces even where the tint film is detached from the glass. My first reaction was that glass occasionally spontaneously shutters on many cars and non-cars. My second reaction after watching the video was that the video is cooked. Have anybody seen anything like this before? From the physics perspective I can't see how the explanation of what happened fits what I see in the video. Please help.

Watch This Tesla's Rear Window Fall Right Out On The Highway

I watched the video and I didn't see anything that I questioned. Looks plausible to me.

There would've been a slight pressure differential working on the window (slight suction outside, slight positive pressure inside), this would've bent the window outward forming a cut-line at the bottom of the window where it enters the door. It broke loose and some of the tint tore off as it went.

While tempered glass breaks and looks instantly like a jigsaw puzzle, it does still tend to hold together until acted upon by an external force.

Reactions: alexgr
My first reaction was that glass occasionally spontaneously shutters on many cars and non-cars. My second reaction after watching the video was that the video is cooked. Have anybody seen anything like this before?
It may be the exact same case as tempered glass that spontaneously explodes (happens all the time), just that this case the tint was holding everything together, so its not as obvious. I don't see a lot of obvious motivation for faking this video (what benefit is there for doing so?)

Only question is if Tesla covered it anyways under warranty (which it seems they did).

Last edited:
Reactions: alexgr