Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 doors/windows/mirrors + Ice = trouble

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always been waiting to see if the Model 3 works well as a winter car and got a few worrying signs today. It's garaged at home but I usually have to leave it outside during the day at work. Today started out coolish at 1 or 2 degrees C and snowy then got progressively colder - down to -3C or so. I came out of work to find a few issues:
  1. Drivers door handle unable to open with a (really hard) thumb-press. Had to hit it really hard to eventually break the ice - it seems like it builds up perfectly all around the inside of the handle mechanism even though nothing was really visible. This is when you realize the inability to grab a handle and pull it could be a bit of a challenge...
  2. Drivers window struggled for a minute to pop down when I opened the door, then freed itself with a "thunk". Clearly the window seal had frozen to it.
  3. Mirrors didn't unfold automatically. I pressed the fold/unfold button a few times and one did. Had to get out and move the uncooperative one manually with some grinding - hope I didn't wreck it! I've now turned off auto-fold/unfold - seems like it's not a good idea for winter, I'll just leave them out.
  4. Drove for about 20 minutes, got to my destination and had the same door issues with the passenger-side door - had to break the ice on the handle then free the window from the frame. Put it up and down a couple of times before I dared slam the door shut. I had hoped that the drive and heating would have meant fewer issues with the passenger side window etc but clearly not.
The worrying thing is this was just a bit of thawing and freezing on a day that wasn't very extreme. I feel like some of these things are going to be a major challenge, particularly if there's freezing rain. I'm hopeful it will all work out but I really rely on my car in the winter (travel to customer sites and different offices) so having issues would be a real pain.

Are any of these things I can solve with "traditional" winter fixes? Silicone spray on window seals?

Has anyone else had similar issues yet?

My driver's side window stuck audibly but broke free, I'll have to remember to give it a second between opening the latch and actually pulling the door open. The driver's door handle was fine, but the driver's side rear door needed a hard push. Worrying was the charge door. I charge at home from a J1772 EVSE with the adapter, so I open the charge door from the screen as I get out. I hit the button a few times but it didn't change to the "door open" display, when I got out it was closed and I could hear it clicking, and I needed to pull it open by hand. Here's hoping the motor that operates the flap is designed in such a way that it can fail to open without incurring wear and tear. The car is never parked inside so it's going to be attempting and failing to open and close many times in its life.

Went through the February freeze in Minnesota without any problems with our RWD 3. The only time things get stuck is if you go through a carwash in very cold weather. Today it was -15C here, also no problem with our replacement P3D. You should have your car checked.

Yep, had exactly the same problem!

Looks like you and I are both in Ottawa so that would probably explain it. Had a bunch of water droplets freeze to the exterior of the car. Both the handles and windows were jammed. Fortunately I had turned off auto-fold on the mirrors as I was expecting trouble when the snow and ice came.

I was eventually able to get the handle free but the window never rolled down much and rubbed past the trim. Only after 20 mins of driving did the ice melt sufficiently to allow the window the roll freely.

Wondering if I should keep a small ice scraper in my pocket and perhaps a squirt bottle of antifreeze. Might also be a good idea to leave one rear seats down so I can get in through the trunk in extreme circumstances lol

Reactions: Big Earl

Looks like you and I are both in Ottawa so that would probably explain it. Had a bunch of water droplets freeze to the exterior of the car. Both the handles and windows were jammed. Fortunately I had turned off auto-fold on the mirrors as I was expecting trouble when the snow and ice came.

I was eventually able to get the handle free but the window never rolled down much and rubbed past the trim. Only after 20 mins of driving did the ice melt sufficiently to allow the window the roll freely.

Wondering if I should keep a small ice scraper in my pocket and perhaps a squirt bottle of antifreeze. Might also be a good idea to leave one rear seats down so I can get in through the trunk in extreme circumstances lol
Ha. Don’t laugh. I said that to my wife yesterday!!!!!! Worst case scenario stuff:)

LOL, yeah I am - we must have lived exactly the same conditions today. Hopefully it's just an early-winter, thaw-freeze thing. Maybe once we get into the real super-cold it won't be an issue. Like I say the thought of freezing rain is a bit worrying though.

Scraper and antifreeze sounds like a good idea. Leaving a rear seat down sounds extreme but then I'll be kicking myself when I'm freezing one day and stranded with my fancy, aerodynamic, non-opening door handles!

When it gets really cold I can't see any heat getting to the handles or the outer edges of the window trim. I think antifreeze is the way - gotta find me a little spray bottle!

Not sure about the handles. For the window trim, it does not have to get to the outer edge. Warming the window itself will free it from the trim. Also spraying the door locking mechanism with some sort of lubricant (silicone spray?) will probably help.

So do you guys mean actual like radiator antifreeze? I was gonna use windshield washer fluid

IMO Don’t use cooling system anti-freeze of any kind. It will mess up your paint permanently. Be careful with lock deice as well. I wouldn’t use it. Washer fluid can stain as well if left on the paint but is probably fairly safe. Safest is warm water but it will just refreeze worse. Best is a dry heat source.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Whisky
Been through one winter in my X. I did turn off the mirror fold & tilt in winter because I was worried about the motor getting burnt out by straining against ice coverings.

The windows did stick until I started pre-heating the car to avoid that. The drawback there is that while the windows are clear, the melt from that can cause ice buildup on the doors & the door handles. It’s not a huge thing with the X, since mine are just push buttons, but I can see the S and 3 possibly having issues.

A problem unique to the X is snow buildup in wiper alley. I’m still working on solutions for that.

Don’t think the wipers fold up to prevent getting iced down onto the windshield.

They don't. Doing this is generally bad for the wiper arms as well. It weakens the springs over time and reduces the effectiveness of the wipers after time. The springs are at risk of snapping as well. Best to just clean them with the scraper end of your brush before driving while they are in their rest position.

I had the issue this morning, forgot to preheat the car, handles were stuck but it was possible to free them with enough pressure but then the windows wouldn't go down. I had to use some warm water as I didn't have anything else. Passenger side mirror wouldn't fold open either and I'd forgotten to turn off the auto-fold.

Bring a ziplock bag with warm water and hold it against the locks or anything else you want to defrost.Just make sure there are no leaks in the bag. This used to work great for me when I still lived in an area where it was humid and around freezing in the winter.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
I experienced exactly the same symptoms with my M3 in Ottawa. I had to drive home with folded mirrors and rely on screen. On a side note, last night I programmed the battery to charge %90 with lower amperage (17A) to be finished by 7 A.M. just before high pick hydro rate starts. Woke up this morning, battery charged to %53 and stopped. I am kind of disappointed. Has anybody else experienced charging issue? Thanks for sharing.