Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 doors/windows/mirrors + Ice = trouble

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to turn off #2 above? It's kinda dumb since people can unplug your car at a public station.

After 44.2:
1. If my car is locked when charging is finished (as at a public charger), it does not allow the charge cable to be unplugged until I unlock the car. This is the way it should be.
2. If my car is unlocked when charging is complete (as is in my garage), then the charge cable can be unplugged without pressing any button, either on the charge cable or having to wake up the car. This is the way it should be. However, I would have to manually close the charge port door by pressing the "close door" message on the screen, which is fine.
This all seems to me quite logical and acceptable.

After 44.2:
1. If my car is locked when charging is finished (as at a public charger), it does not allow the charge cable to be unplugged until I unlock the car. This is the way it should be.
2. If my car is unlocked when charging is complete (as is in my garage), then the charge cable can be unplugged without pressing any button, either on the charge cable or having to wake up the car. This is the way it should be. However, I would have to manually close the charge port door by pressing the "close door" message on the screen, which is fine.
This all seems to me quite logical and acceptable.

Pretty sure I am not seeing this. I see it unlock at home, public charger and supercharger.

Also how is car unlocked at home: do you not have the car lock when you walk away? My car is locked when at home too. Which is good for me since I usually park on my driveway.

Also how is car unlocked at home: do you not have the car lock when you walk away? My car is locked when at home too. Which is good for me since I usually park on my driveway.

By turning off BT and using the Keycard instead, I am able to control the car's locking and unlocking more precisely in different situations. For example, if you're using the auto locking/unlocking feature with the phone, the car unlocks the charge port as a result of unlocking the car as you approach it, giving the incorrect impression that the charge cord was never locked!

Maybe I am misunderstanding some of you, but why do you want the handle locked to your car, particularly after your charge is finished? If I'm not charging, or someone contacts me on Plugshare asking to switch the plug (and I have enough juice to get where I'm going or was just opportunity charging in the first place), I want to be able to share the plug with other users without having to physically go back to my car and unlock it...

Reactions: adaptabl
By turning off BT and using the Keycard instead, I am able to control the car's locking and unlocking more precisely in different situations. For example, if you're using the auto locking/unlocking feature with the phone, the car unlocks the charge port as a result of unlocking the car as you approach it, giving the incorrect impression that the charge cord was never locked!

Oh ok. Good to know. Will test this out.

Still seems weird. As it is unlocked before I unlock the door handle or interact with the car. Car state is still technically locked.

I don't see how the new behavior would be of any benefit then in preventing lock getting frozen. Unless you explicitly left the car unlocked somewhere cold.

As if I left it charging then came back several hours after charging is done and it only unlocked then it would be just as frozen as if it stayed locked for an additional 30 seconds...

Maybe I am misunderstanding some of you, but why do you want the handle locked to your car, particularly after your charge is finished? If I'm not charging, or someone contacts me on Plugshare asking to switch the plug (and I have enough juice to get where I'm going or was just opportunity charging in the first place), I want to be able to share the plug with other users without having to physically go back to my car and unlock it...

I mainly care about the Tesla to j1772 adapter getting lost or stolen. Some people use umc which can be stolen.

Otherwise I don't care and would be ok with it for the reasons you give.

Just charged with Bluetooth disabled and cable was unlocked when charging complete.

Didn't manually lock the car with keycard but it autolocked when I walked away and I disabled Bluetooth after that.

Will try using keycard to lock/unlock now.

Did it with car locked with keycard, bluetooth off, port also unlocked when charge complete, with car on my driveway. You can even check the port lock state remotely via tesla api which i did from my laptop before tugging on the cord for real (and it said latch disengaged after charging complete and latch engaged before charging complete).

Wondering if I should keep a small ice scraper in my pocket and perhaps a squirt bottle of antifreeze. Might also be a good idea to leave one rear seats down so I can get in through the trunk in extreme circumstances lol

Always have your Tim Hortons coffee card ready. Because it’s more Canadian than a credit card. But seriously... just swipe the card between the glass and the seal and the ice will break free from the glass. Easy.

Windows froze today.

Driver's side front door would open and close even with stuck window due to update that keeps window rolled down a bit. Other windows would open but wouldn't close again since they were fully closed/rolled up.

On the other hand the driver's side front door window was the last to unfreeze. The other ones unfroze pretty quickly with the heat on. It was only about 0 or 1 degrees though (which is probably why the windows froze, it being so close to freezing, getting water and then ice).

Edit: Passenger's side front door window might also have been partially down, since my wife was in the car when I got home. That one unfroze the first, so not sure I can say anything about freezing and the new partial closing behaviour.

Windows of my M3 froze yesterday, interior temperature 0 degree.

Driver side door wont open. I did not try hard instead turned on Climate to high for about 1 minute.
Tried to open the door after that and it opened right away, sigh of relief.

Windows and door handles frozen today. Preheated for about 15 min which didn’t help. Got impatient and used a credit card jammed between the window and the rubber gasket to break through what appeared to be ice within the door. Forced the door handles open and finally got in the car. Neighbours walking by looked at me suspiciously like I was breaking into the car. Wife getting frustrated “we never had to do this with the old car”. I guess we have to plan minimum 30 min ahead and keep some credit cards handy. :rolleyes: Car is running 46.2.

For those of you with PPF wrap - you may want to consider spraying a layer of silicone lubricant on the front. We came back from a trip to the Eastern Townships of Quebec two weekends ago and while the GTA was getting rain, that part of Quebec was getting decimated with snow. The good news is, while people were spinning out on the highways in the 20-30cm of snow we were getting, the Model 3 barely wavered. This was on the Tesla winter tire package - great grip to me, even in deep snow covered roads (there were some scary looking downhill curves without barriers that were forested) and we were ok by just taking it slow.

The bad news is as we returned to the warmer temps in Kingston, the snow turned to rain/freezing rain, which caked on ice to the front and blocked the front proximity sensors. Autopilot wouldn't turn on until I pulled over and kicked the ice off (at a service centre, not the highway!). Actually, the plaza at Port Hope supercharger where we stopped was covered in black ice, to the point that getting out of your car would almost be an instant slip and fall. It was that slippery. The car, on the other hand, was just fine driving through the ice. Not sure if it was the tires or the weight, or a combination of both, but definitely happy with going with the Tesla winter tire package for any of you that have not gotten them installed yet.

Reactions: I am 3LECTRIC
On my Model 3., last night the J1227 adapter got stuck in the car. Tried everything to get it out. Used the manual pull tab and it actually tore in two, but didn't release the adapter. I'm on the latest software update (just got an update on Tuesday)

Left the car in the garage overnight, tried in the morning and it just slid right out.

Anyone else having issues with chargers getting stuck in the charging port?

Reactions: Harrta and adaptabl
For those of you with PPF wrap - you may want to consider spraying a layer of silicone lubricant on the front. We came back from a trip to the Eastern Townships of Quebec two weekends ago and while the GTA was getting rain, that part of Quebec was getting decimated with snow. The good news is, while people were spinning out on the highways in the 20-30cm of snow we were getting, the Model 3 barely wavered. This was on the Tesla winter tire package - great grip to me, even in deep snow covered roads (there were some scary looking downhill curves without barriers that were forested) and we were ok by just taking it slow.

The bad news is as we returned to the warmer temps in Kingston, the snow turned to rain/freezing rain, which caked on ice to the front and blocked the front proximity sensors. Autopilot wouldn't turn on until I pulled over and kicked the ice off (at a service centre, not the highway!). Actually, the plaza at Port Hope supercharger where we stopped was covered in black ice, to the point that getting out of your car would almost be an instant slip and fall. It was that slippery. The car, on the other hand, was just fine driving through the ice. Not sure if it was the tires or the weight, or a combination of both, but definitely happy with going with the Tesla winter tire package for any of you that have not gotten them installed yet.

Did I miss where you explained what you started out with: PPF wrap should be sprayed with silicone? Please elaborate, thx.

Reactions: Vawlkus