Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 doors/windows/mirrors + Ice = trouble

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I experienced exactly the same symptoms with my M3 in Ottawa. I had to drive home with folded mirrors and rely on screen. On a side note, last night I programmed the battery to charge %90 with lower amperage (17A) to be finished by 7 A.M. just before high pick hydro rate starts. Woke up this morning, battery charged to %53 and stopped. I am kind of disappointed. Has anybody else experienced charging issue? Thanks for sharing.

If it's cold, you need to up the amperage to get past the cold soaked battery. I tried 16A to do a timed charge but ended up only gaining 7% because most of the current was used to condition the battery to be in a charging state.

The next night, I went to full 32A and it charged as normal as if it were summer time.

Best idea is to adjust the start time to match the battery level you want to leave with and the time you leave in the morning. I.e. if your commute was 100km and leave your house at 6AM. Set 32A charging at 3:30AM to account for drain and cabin heating. To be safe, 3AM start would top up 147~150km. More than enough to preheat cabin and be comfortable.

Sounds like the R&D center in sunny California didn't do cold weather design and testing very well. Other car manufacturers do extensive testing in cold weather to stop these type of issues.

No I don't think it's particularly a Tesla thing, I bet they did a whole bunch of winter testing. At some point in the winter I've had some kind of issue with almost every car I've had here, whether through ice or things just getting so cold they don't move or work quite as well. It's just such a tough, varied environment I think you just have to know your winter hacks, including the variations from car to car.

I wonder if Tesla could add an app feature to open the driver’s door latch remotely if the car is off, in park and temps are below 32F. It’s just a software switch, not a mechanical thing. This could bypass needing to manipulate the outside handle mechanism.

Furthermore they could have a driver door warming app function that turns on heat and focuses all airflow towards the driver door for ten minutes to loosen up ice around the window gasket. Might be a neat use of software controlled airflow.

With my S I noticed that while pre-heating the cabin I could feel air venting from around the door handle. Not so with the 3.
I tried leaving the car on HI for about 45 minutes last night. The doors seem very well insulated. Door handles were not warm at all.
Windows were all very hot.
20181113T203750.JPG

An additional observation:

Door handles, once opened, stay open and have to be pushed/forced back closed

Suggestions?

Yeah that happened to me tonight with my rear doors. I think there’s a small amount of ice in there making them not go back - the mechanism/spring apparently isn’t very strong. I find pushing them in fixes it but it’s a pain.

I wonder if a spray of silicon into the handle mechanism might help too?

I wonder if Tesla could add an app feature to open the driver’s door latch remotely if the car is off, in park and temps are below 32F. It’s just a software switch, not a mechanical thing. This could bypass needing to manipulate the outside handle mechanism.

Furthermore they could have a driver door warming app function that turns on heat and focuses all airflow towards the driver door for ten minutes to loosen up ice around the window gasket. Might be a neat use of software controlled airflow.

I was thinking the same thing. That would be an easier, faster fix for them to implement. The unlatching of the door is electronic so doable and the airflow, as we all know, can be steered like on few other cars. Tesla, that’s one to look at fast!

Reactions: mtndrew1
I applied some silicon spray to my door seals tonight and as I was doing so I had to unfreeze the back doors as they too were stuck, but I hadn't tried before to free them. I noticed that it was the seal itself which was frozen/stuck to the window and stopping it from going down, so hopefully the silicon will help avoid this. The door handles was just ice though.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
None of these issues on the Model 3 is exclusive to it, even among other manufacturers. The windows work as all vehicles with frameless windows, the mirrors work the same as all active mirrors, and the handles are similar to the GTR.

This is just more FUD, no different from any other FUD. At least you can mitigate most of these issues with an App...something that can't be said for all the other vehicles with the same EXACT issues.

I'm actually surprised that Fred didn't experience those problems with his old S. I had a similar S and lived through three Calgary winters. I learned that after washing ( I wash my car a lot!) I had to dry all the door handles and windows before letting the car freeze. The outer rubber window seal has a felt material that will hold water and freeze to the glass. The 3 has the same. I would lower and raise the windows a few times and dry the water that would be brought up with the window.
One time I had a lot of snow melt after a long cabin heat session. Lots of water on that lower window seal. It was very cold and by the time I made it to the parking lot exit the window had frozen and stopped working just as I tried to lower it to present my RFID to exit. Luckily the window wasn't open to much and my drive home was short so I didn't freeze. I had to take the car in to have the window fixed after that.

As others have mentioned these type of issues are not unique to Tesla. If a car is wet and water freezes life can be difficult.
Actually with the Leaf the windows don't even work when its cold. Doesn't have to be frozen. lol

With all the power we have in these batteries I wish EV manufactures would take advantage of it and let us blast the snow and ice off with a flick of a switch.