Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Drawing Huge Amounts of Power Randomly While Plugged In (after charge cycle complete)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So on at least two occasions now my car has done completely goofy things when plugged in and not attended. The pattern both times looked different, from each other, but this clearly is not right!

You can see me get home and charge for the day at 6pm, and then again after going out for ice cream with my daughter and getting back at 8pm, and then me running the AC on the house for a bit at 9pm. Basically everything else of huge spikes that you see is the car doing odd things overnight.

I already have a discussion open with the service center about the first incident like this, but now I have sent them this data as well.

Note that I got 26.3 a couple nights ago, but the first incident was before that. (maybe introduced in 26.1 though? Not sure)

I think what triggered this behavior last night was me going down and getting an adapter from the trunk (in order to answer a forum post actually) and so I opened and closed the trunk but never unplugged the car or opened a door. Perhaps the car was getting ready for me (AC wise and maybe battery preconditioning) but then it never timed out properly when I did not actually get into the car and go anywhere?

Note this data is from my “sense” unit. I love the visibility it gives me!

03A56396-0D41-4159-A889-10CA1B40B2D7.png

• Helpful
Reactions: Electric700
I saw this last night. I had it set to charge to 80% starting at midnight, which it did, but then it kept cycling on and off every few minutes all night long. I called Tesla this morning and they said it's a known issue and a fix is in the works but not yet released. I'm currently on 24.11

Attachments

• IMG_2343.jpg
    IMG_2343.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 55
Looks not right too me, when I charged to 90% overnight, it usually ends up with 281Mi on app notification, the next morning, it's usually 278-279Mi, It's totally fine because of minor vampire drain and battery active cooling, but I never saw the notification barrage like yours.

Looks not right too me, when I charged to 90% overnight, it usually ends up with 281Mi on app notification, the next morning, it's usually 278-279Mi, It's totally fine because of minor vampire drain and battery active cooling, but I never saw the notification barrage like yours.

No notification barrage for me either.

It is still doing it so I am calling tech support. I hope hold time is not insane. Last time was like close to a 2 hr wait.

So on at least two occasions now my car has done completely goofy things when plugged in and not attended. The pattern both times looked different, from each other, but this clearly is not right!

You can see me get home and charge for the day at 6pm, and then again after going out for ice cream with my daughter and getting back at 8pm, and then me running the AC on the house for a bit at 9pm. Basically everything else of huge spikes that you see is the car doing odd things overnight.

I already have a discussion open with the service center about the first incident like this, but now I have sent them this data as well.

Note that I got 26.3 a couple nights ago, but the first incident was before that. (maybe introduced in 26.1 though? Not sure)

I think what triggered this behavior last night was me going down and getting an adapter from the trunk (in order to answer a forum post actually) and so I opened and closed the trunk but never unplugged the car or opened a door. Perhaps the car was getting ready for me (AC wise and maybe battery preconditioning) but then it never timed out properly when I did not actually get into the car and go anywhere?

Note this data is from my “sense” unit. I love the visibility it gives me!

View attachment 322670

Called support. They pulled logs. They want me to bring he car in to the service center. Sounds like they may feel it is a hardware issue?

Have an appointment for Thursday. Will leave car unplugged when not charging I think just in case. That energy is going somewhere...

SC will probably tell you get rid of third party apps and adjust cabin overheat. I had vampire drain, too.

No third party apps. Cabin overheat I don't think should cause this behavior. It was doing it in the middle of the night too. This is a new and unique issue that has only happened on some days and not others. The guys on phone support saw things in the logs they did not like and they wanted the car brought in as soon as possible. Not sure what really that means but they were not worried about me driving the car in the meantime.

No third party apps. Cabin overheat I don't think should cause this behavior. It was doing it in the middle of the night too. This is a new and unique issue that has only happened on some days and not others. The guys on phone support saw things in the logs they did not like and they wanted the car brought in as soon as possible. Not sure what really that means but they were not worried about me driving the car in the meantime.

I had mine doing the same in the past 2 weeks. I usually plug in after getting home and it charges fine back up to 80%. On some days, no definite pattern to this just very random, I get a huge barrage of notifications, one every minute that that the car started charging, on my mobile app for about 15-20 minutes about 2-4 hours after it was fully charged. On all such occasions, I was up so went and unplugged the car.

Been trying to keep the car unplugged since then as I was thinking there's a software issue and they'll fix it. As it kind of coincided with the excess battery usage and drain after the software update to 2018.24.8 25f83c2, so I was assuming this is a software issue.

I'm going to call the SC tomorrow and see what they say.

I had mine doing the same in the past 2 weeks. I usually plug in after getting home and it charges fine back up to 80%. On some days, no definite pattern to this just very random, I get a huge barrage of notifications, one every minute that that the car started charging, on my mobile app for about 15-20 minutes about 2-4 hours after it was fully charged. On all such occasions, I was up so went and unplugged the car.

Been trying to keep the car unplugged since then as I was thinking there's a software issue and they'll fix it. As it kind of coincided with the excess battery usage and drain after the software update to 2018.24.8 25f83c2, so I was assuming this is a software issue.

I'm going to call the SC tomorrow and see what they say.

Mine did it again this afternoon. Took it out for a drive, came back, charged back to 80%, then a bit later it went back into the weird cycling on/off pattern (the big red spikes). I had tried a full vehicle reboot prior to charging when I got home, I was hoping that might clear it up for a bit but it did not.

I then later took it out to dinner and now brought it back and plugged it in. It charged back up in just a few minutes, and I am waiting to see if the bad pattern starts again (if so I will go unhook the Wall Connector or maybe use the app to tell it to stop charging). I wonder if a new set of charger circuitry is in my future? Isn't it integrated into the battery pack itself?

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 10.10.52 PM.png

How can us other Model 3 owners monitor this if we don’t have a Sense installed?

Also, what third party apps are you guys talking about could cause these problems as indicated by the SC?

In my case at least, I'm starting to suspect Teslafi.com for the wakeups. I enabled 'Teslafi Sleep Mode' on the website and the problem did not happen last night. Not many data points yet though...

How can us other Model 3 owners monitor this if we don’t have a Sense installed?

Also, what third party apps are you guys talking about could cause these problems as indicated by the SC?

Without my Sense I would not have known.

Once I noticed it in sense I went outside to listen to the car to see if AC was running. I did not hear anything, but while outside waiting on hold with Tesla support I heard my wall connector cycling its contractor on and off every four minutes or so.

It is possible I have defective hardware and I am an outlier... (or it could be a software bug that impacts a lot more people) Or I guess it could be a hardware defect that is widespread too.. dunno!

Without my Sense I would not have known.

Once I noticed it in sense I went outside to listen to the car to see if AC was running. I did not hear anything, but while outside waiting on hold with Tesla support I heard my wall connector cycling its contractor on and off every four minutes or so.

It is possible I have defective hardware and I am an outlier... (or it could be a software bug that impacts a lot more people) Or I guess it could be a hardware defect that is widespread too.. dunno!

Interesting. There really should be some sort of monitor and history of the charging on Teslas. You have me interested in the Sense and I'm wondering how much it would cost to get one installed now.

I am not using any of the third-party apps. I was just getting a barrage of notifications on the official Tesla app on my android phone. One notification every minute or two. The 2-3 times this happened, I used to notice them within 5-10 minutes and unplug the car. One instance I didn't check the notifications and I recall they lasted for about 15 minutes and stopped by themselves. I realized within 30 mins and unplugged it.

This hasn't happened to me in the last 3-4 days. I'm just waiting for it to happen again to call Tesla so its easier for them to lookup the logs if I give them the time of occurrence.

This must have happened to our M3 last night too. I got a notification that charge had completed at 430am at 276 miles. At 1030am, the car reported 271 (it was still plugged in but not charging during these six hours). Then for the rest of the afternoon, unplugged, it remained at 270, with some overheat protection probably coming on too. We're on 24.7.