Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Drive Selector Replacment URGENT notice on my VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took my model 3 into the service center on Monday to have them fix these issues:
1. Morse Code noise when in park. (they say software update 2018.4.8 fixes this issue)
2. High wind noise on freeway (they say its normal and are in line with specs)
3. Rattle from left turn signal (replaced with brand new unit)
4. Car rumbles of freeway (replaced back right wheel with brand new tire, balanced all wheels)
5. Bluetooth problems with phone (new software should fix/help and Android app refresh)

I then went to pick up my car this afternoon and as I'm checking out my car I see a scratch on back fender. They then pull the car into the detailer area and buff out the scratch (it was light). Then they are about to close out my service visit in the computer when they get an urgent alert that my VIN (306*) has been flagged for a Drive Selector Replacement. The issue is the current drive selector could fail and not go into park. So they then explained to me that I could not have my car back and they are waiting on the replacement part from the factory. Here is the kicker... They say it may take weeks to have a new part because it has to be completely redesigned and shipped to SC. There could be a massive recall alert coming..

I live an hour away from the service center each way. I'm so frustrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took my model 3 into the service center...

The issue is the current drive selector could fail and not go into park. So they then explained to me that I could not have my car back and they are waiting on the replacement part from the factory. Here is the kicker... They say it may take weeks to have a new park because it has to be completely redesigned and shipped to SC. There could be a massive recall alert coming..

Assume you meant part and not park. I would think this would be front page news on all the EV websites, but I'm not seeing any confirmation of this.

RT

Stop making excuses by calling these cars "beta" and the owners "testers".

These are production vehicles (7 months into production now -- and the OP received his 6 months in) being sold to the general public by a large corporation with 33,000+ employees and the largest market cap of any automaker in America. This ain't no KickStarter.

Some of these quality issues may be predictable (due to Tesla cutting corners on R&D and validation), but that doesn't make it excusable.

Wind noise is a controversial subject. The absence of engine noise definitely accentuates even slight wind noise and we are not used to it. In the case of my early VIN X, the wind noise was loud. Tesla agreed and replaced door seals which greatly reduced the noise. However, I can still hear the wind more so than any other ICE car I have driven because my there is no engine growl to drown out the wind noise. I got used to it and no longer think about it.

Wind noise is a controversial subject. The absence of engine noise definitely accentuates even slight wind noise and we are not used to it. In the case of my early VIN X, the wind noise was loud. Tesla agreed and replaced door seals which greatly reduced the noise. However, I can still hear the wind more so than any other ICE car I have driven because my there is no engine growl to drown out the wind noise. I got used to it and no longer think about it.

my model S, no wind noise. my model 3, lots of wind noise. not a ICE adjustment issue here.

i agree about getting used to it though. the problem is switching between the S and the 3 makes me realize how loud the 3 is.

Stop making excuses by calling these cars "beta" and the owners "testers".

These are production vehicles (7 months into production now -- and the OP received his 6 months in) being sold to the general public by a large corporation with 33,000+ employees and the largest market cap of any automaker in America. This ain't no KickStarter.

Some of these quality issues may be predictable (due to Tesla cutting corners on R&D and validation), but that doesn't make it excusable.
DISAGREE. Any new production car by any maker is a beta car and those that got their car first because they are employees, owners, or jumped the line by paying a premium are the testers. They got their cars before anyone else. They had the opportunity to defer their configuration and let someone else deal with early production problems, but for whatever reason they chose to be a tester of a beta car. Man up and deal with it.

Frustration is a definite possibility with being an early delivery beta tester. But you have a car and I don't. I am frustrated because I don't have a car yet.
I see this in poor taste and a distraction because you're making Adam's difficulties about you. :(

-- -- -- --

Anyway getting back on topic, if there is going to be a widespread recall brewing we'd hear about it first somewhere. If an assessment of this just came in towards the end of today this could be one of the first reports of it trickling in. We should hear more tomorrow if this is widespread or just limited scope, lots of variable that could be at play here that we can't know.

Reactions: cwerdna
I see this in poor taste and a distraction because you're making Adam's difficulties about you. :(.
I see your response is in poor taste and a distraction because you are making my frustration about you. There are many people who will happily take someone's current invitation (without paying a premium) and deal with the problems. The OP had the opportunity to defer and he chose not to. He chose to be a tester for a beta product. Yes, there are legitimate problems and Tesla will deal with them. I understand the OP's frustration because I am frustrated too, but for different reasons.

DISAGREE. Any new production car by any maker is a beta car
Man up and deal with it.
Ridiculous.

I guess you haven't looked at what some other automakers do before selling cars to customers like at automotive reliability and durability testing.

Somehow this "beta car", by your definition, the 1st model year of a vehicle that didn't exist before managed this: Consumer Reports says Prius C most reliable 2012 vehicle in its 1st year.

CR doesn't even like the car and doesn't recommend it: The Toyota Prius C isn't a good car, and here's why.

To be fair, the Prius C was literally a hybrid (ahem) of the Yaris frame/body and the, by then, matured Gen III Prius drivetrain, which apparently made a good fit (CR complaints notwithstanding) based on reliability. The Model 3 is a more radical departure from the S and X than the C was from its predecessors apparently (steel versus aluminum usage being one significant area of differentiation).

To be fair, the Prius C was literally a hybrid (ahem) of the Yaris frame/body and the, by then, matured Gen III Prius drivetrain, which apparently made a good fit (CR complaints notwithstanding) based on reliability. The Model 3 is a more radical departure from the S and X than the C was from its predecessors apparently (steel versus aluminum usage being one significant area of differentiation).
Prius c used a 1.5-liter 4 cylinder engine that was still designated 1NZ-FXE (same model as Gen 2 Prius) but Toyota claimed they made numerous changes. Power split device wasn't a carryover from earlier Priuses nor was the battery pack. 1nz-fxe has a pointer to a press release.

Prius C showcases Toyota's latest hybrid toolbox says "To save weight, improve efficiency and cut costs, Hatada's team re-engineered 70 percent of the second-generation Prius' 1.5-liter engine, code-named 1NZ-FXE."

Not surprised that people like Krugerand would "disagree" with my post. :rolleyes: I guess to him, selling "beta" cars that are being passed off to real customers as "production" cars 6 months after the first "production" cars went into likely NDA-ed customers during their initial few months (employees) is ok...

Last edited: