Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Drive Selector Replacment URGENT notice on my VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Prius c used a 1.5-liter 4 cylinder engine that was still designated 1NZ-FXE (same model as Gen 2 Prius) but Toyota claimed they made numerous changes. Power split device wasn't a carryover from earlier Priuses nor was the battery pack. 1nz-fxe has a pointer to a press release.

Prius C showcases Toyota's latest hybrid toolbox says "To save weight, improve efficiency and cut costs, Hatada's team re-engineered 70 percent of the second-generation Prius' 1.5-liter engine, code-named 1NZ-FXE."

Not surprised that people like Krugerand would "disagree" with my post. :rolleyes: I guess to him, selling "beta" cars that are being passed off to real customers as "production" cars 6 months after the first "production" cars went into likely NDA-ed customers during their initial few months (employees) is ok...

You got Krugerrand’s gender wrong :D

But yeah, normally, an automobile spends about a year in beta testing before production. If Model 3 were being built by anyone else, initial production for customers wouldn’t start until May 2018.

Tesla gambled that they had enough early adopters willing to pay full price to be public beta testers. I think they were right. However, this has the effect of making much of the reservation base impatient, or even anxious because of defect reports.

my model S, no wind noise. my model 3, lots of wind noise. not a ICE adjustment issue here.

i agree about getting used to it though. the problem is switching between the S and the 3 makes me realize how loud the 3 is.
I haven’t d
my model S, no wind noise. my model 3, lots of wind noise. not a ICE adjustment issue here.

i agree about getting used to it though. the problem is switching between the S and the 3 makes me realize how loud the 3 is.
That's too bad. I haven't been able to drive the 3 so I have no basis for comparison so you are no doubt right that this is not an ICE adjustment issue. I thought others have reported the 3 as quiet - so perhaps there is an issue with your door seals.

Reactions: NOCO24U
i think sound spectrum is more important than decibels. a loud low frequency rumble is easier on the ears than a higher pitched wind noise, or worse a super high pitched beep. While the soundscape will sum to the same decibel level, the frequency of the sound itself is whats going to be bothersome. Can anyone re-do that test with SpectraView? Also, the microphone sensitivity is going to make a difference as well. So maybe iPhone running SpectraView isn't the best. It's raining here in chicago but i'll try to do a test between the S and 3 this week.

My F250 has wind noise. My Leaf has no wind noise. My S has wind noise. It's has nothing to do with being an EV and everything to do with being a Model S. That was my first complaint about the car was the wind noise, they tried using the EV vs. ICE excuse and when i asked why my other EV doesn't have this problem they had no answer.

Reactions: CarbonFree
I have the Mercedes Sprinter and LOTS of owners complain about the wind noise. People have been doing interesting experiments with painters tape. Covering the door seals seems to be the most effective solution, but it's a diesel so really hard to complain about the wind noise.

This makes the forth issue I have noticed people talking about that others have mentioned Tesla is offering a fix for those who complain:

Wind Noise - New seals from Tesla
Failing to go into park - New shifter from Tesla (potentially a recall coming)
Phantom Touch on Display - New display from Tesla
Extra stiff suspension - New shocks or springs from Tesla

Is there a Wiki that tracks things like this? I don't wanna be the guy spilling my drink because I didn't know I could have gotten the springs replaced with new ones that have a different damping characteristic.

-Randy

• Helpful
Reactions: pcpro
Ridiculous.

I guess you haven't looked at what some other automakers do before selling cars to customers like at automotive reliability and durability testing.

Somehow this "beta car", by your definition, the 1st model year of a vehicle that didn't exist before managed this: Consumer Reports says Prius C most reliable 2012 vehicle in its 1st year.

CR doesn't even like the car and doesn't recommend it: The Toyota Prius C isn't a good car, and here's why.
To be fair, Tesla did say they were fast tracking time to market by essentially skipping one of the test phases (can’t remember which one) more common to other makers.
Having said that, only forum junkies like me would have heard of that. The normal buyer could be excused for expecting the cars to be perfect from day 1.
Here in Australia the right-hand drove cars won’t be out until 2019, and I remember having mixed feelings when I heard that. My sadness at having to wait was tempered with the thought that they’d be more refined by the time mine was made.

This makes the forth issue I have noticed people talking about that others have mentioned Tesla is offering a fix for those who complain:

Failing to go into park - New shifter from Tesla (potentially a recall coming)

I'm curious, have you heard of this particular issue from anyone other than the OP? His post here (and on Reddit) yesterday was the first time I heard about it. Thus far, no one else has chimed in on this thread to say they have experienced the same issue.

As for a potential recall, that was speculation from the OP, not from the SC personnel.

I'm not doubting the OP, just questioning whether this is a widespread issue.

• Helpful
Reactions: SteveG3 and steve3
i think sound spectrum is more important than decibels. a loud low frequency rumble is easier on the ears than a higher pitched wind noise, or worse a super high pitched beep. While the soundscape will sum to the same decibel level, the frequency of the sound itself is whats going to be bothersome. Can anyone re-do that test with SpectraView? Also, the microphone sensitivity is going to make a difference as well. So maybe iPhone running SpectraView isn't the best. It's raining here in chicago but i'll try to do a test between the S and 3 this week.

Yup - Fletcher-Munson curves. I'd wager that all resonances on the S are lower in pitch than the 3, whether they're wind noise, tire noise, bumps, etc...

Ridiculous.

I guess you haven't looked at what some other automakers do before selling cars to customers like at automotive reliability and durability testing.

Somehow this "beta car", by your definition, the 1st model year of a vehicle that didn't exist before managed this: Consumer Reports says Prius C most reliable 2012 vehicle in its 1st year.

CR doesn't even like the car and doesn't recommend it: The Toyota Prius C isn't a good car, and here's why.
I guess it depends on the definition of "ridiculous." Toyota has been making cars for >50 years, Tesla for maybe 6 years (roadsters were made by Lotus and they had beta car problems too). So Prius C was most reliable in 2012. What about all the other models Toyota made that year? It took Toyota over 50 years to get it right, which is ridiculous, but you expect Tesla to get it right the first couple thousand of a new production after only 6 years which is ridiculous?

Yes, the model 3 has experienced some new production bugs. I can't say how significant they are compared to other new production cars. I can say that Tesla has made significant and impressive improvements to software and quality in the last four months. And there is till more work to be done to reach the level of quality that Tesla expects of itself. The longer you wait for your model 3, the fewer problems and frustrations you will experience. If you don't want to deal with the ridiculous of frustration with being a tester of a beta car, it is better to defer for a few months until most of these bugs can be fixed before delivery.

You could do like I'm doing this weekend and rent one. A guy in Palos Hills has one listed on Turo and a guy in Chicago has one on GetAround.
That is what I did and I highly recommend it, It put all my concerns to bed that I had been reading about, rough ride, poor fit and finish, sounds system, center display. I was truly impressed and made me want the car even more. My current daily driver is a 2017 A4 which is touted to have many aerodynamic features to make it super quiet at speed, they even claim in the marketing material that it is more quiet than an S class, drove my car on the freeway back to back with the M3, I didn't notice an excessive wind noise. If you rent it and don't absolutely love it then you should think twice and go test drive some other cars. No matter how you cut it, it is an expensive car that you will loose a ton of money on as you drive it make sure its what you want and that YOU will be happy with it. What some reviewer said is useless and can never encapsulate how you will experience the car, in my opinion cars are a very complex and personal thing, go drive it and make your own assessment. I just configured yesterday, hope to get the car on or before my birthday on the 28th :) so excited!!