Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Drive Selector Replacment URGENT notice on my VIN

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious, have you heard of this particular issue from anyone other than the OP? His post here (and on Reddit) yesterday was the first time I heard about it. Thus far, no one else has chimed in on this thread to say they have experienced the same issue.

As for a potential recall, that was speculation from the OP, not from the SC personnel.

I'm not doubting the OP, just questioning whether this is a widespread issue.
It would be good to know if this is a widespread issue.

SC not allowing him to take possession of his car due to the drive selector needing to be redesigned...would indicate an issue with the current design, (likely safety-related?). I ask myself, how could this apply to his/some VINs but not to others, or even all. If so, we’d expect to hear similar SC experiences, but haven’t seen them reported here. I’m not questioning OP, just trying to understand, as I’m not an owner and don’t have direct experience with how the drive selector works.
Then they are about to close out my service visit in the computer when they get an urgent alert that my VIN (306*) has been flagged for a Drive Selector Replacement. The issue is the current drive selector could fail and not go into park. So they then explained to me that I could not have my car back and they are waiting on the replacement part from the factory. Here is the kicker... They say it may take weeks to have a new park because it has to be completely redesigned and shipped to SC.
I’m just trying to determine if there is something here to be aware of in a broader scope, as another thread describes driver/pilot error using this same part and almost got involved in an accident because of it.
Caution - Selecting N (Neutral) by accident - almost caused accident

Last edited:
Update. SC still does not have a timetable on when I can pickup my car. Their reply this morning : "Hi Adam, working with my parts team and Mangers to get an eta on the part. Also asking if you would be able to drive the Model 3 while we wait for part if it will be long." then this afternoon "Hi Adam, ETA still says to be determined. I will partner with my foreman and parts team tomorrow."
They are keeping everything close to the chest on this. Yesterday everyone was buzzing about this urgent alert. Doesn't this seem strange?

Last edited:
I'm curious, have you heard of this particular issue from anyone other than the OP? His post here (and on Reddit) yesterday was the first time I heard about it. Thus far, no one else has chimed in on this thread to say they have experienced the same issue.

I may have seen this issue, but I am not sure. One time after parking and pressing the button, I got a warning that the parking brake needed service or something like that. I was a bit worried that it might fail and the car roll, so I stayed in the car and called Tesla. They said they couldn’t see the error, and had me do a reset. Issue cleared and hasn’t reappeared. Maybe that was the stalk issue, maybe just a random software bug, I am not sure.

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I guess it depends on the definition of "ridiculous." Toyota has been making cars for >50 years, Tesla for maybe 6 years (roadsters were made by Lotus and they had beta car problems too).
Lotus delivered gliders to Tesla which had no powertrain and no battery pack.

There's a bunch of info on how close a Roadster was to the Elise and what work Tesla did vs. Lotus, like the below:
Mythbusters Part 2: The Tesla Roadster is not a Converted Lotus Elise
Lotus Position
Lotus Engineering Newsletter Q&A with Tesla's Car Guy

(I don't have all the background info as I don't personally care much.)
So Prius C was most reliable in 2012. What about all the other models Toyota made that year?
Usually there's only one "most reliable". I suppose there could be ties.

If you look at Consumer Reports reliability ratings over via annual April auto issues or anything published in between for the last decade or more and look at Toyota/Lexus/Scion reliability ratings, you'll see the overwhelming majority across every model year will have at least average reliability, and most will be between better than average to much better than average.

There are plenty of publications/bodies that do long term (not just 3 year or "initial quality") surveys that will tell you similar stories.

It took Toyota over 50 years to get it right, which is ridiculous, but you expect Tesla to get it right the first couple thousand of a new production after only 6 years which is ridiculous?
No. It would be a miracle if Tesla delivered a vehicle that was deemed most reliable on the market within the 1st model year of a brand new car. My point of including the Prius c is to the 1st model year of a new car can be extremely reliable.

Given Tesla's track record (e.g. Model S door handles, Model S drive units (with some folks on their 8th DU), Model S MCUs, Model X FWDs and front doors, drive units in general, half shafts on the Model S and esp. on the X, etc.), one really has to wonder about their parts validation and long-term durability testing. If all their test vehicles pass w/flying colors and have standards that meet or exceed known reliable automakers, perhaps there are issues w/manufacturing consistency or not properly/fully validating running changes?

It's not been the industry norm to ship cars that are feature incomplete. And, Tesla replaces Model 3 headlights, battery, seats, and more while going through ‘production hell’ isn't the norm either. Bob Lutz (yeah, yeah I know) asserted those "production" Model 3's sold to employees would be called "production-intent prototypes not for sale".

Quote below from Tesla's Model 3 'production hell' is testing Elon Musk's fix-as-you-go carmaking model:
Tesla turned the first 30 Model 3s over to paying customers — all Tesla employees – at the July event. The company said regular customers will begin receiving Model 3s by the end of October.

It's common practice for carmakers to let employees try out fresh cars as the assembly line is being tweaked before production begins in earnest. But those cars don't generate revenue for the company.

“At GM or Ford or Toyota, they call those vehicles ‘production-intent prototypes not for sale,’” said Bob Lutz, a legendary car executive whose career spanned BMW, Ford, Chrysler and General Motors. By selling cars when the factory remains in “production hell,” Lutz said, “you’ve got an increased risk of having problems with the vehicles. You’re putting quality at risk for the sake of a PR event.”

Last edited:
It's not been the industry norm to ship cars that are feature incomplete.
And there you have it - Tesla is not about "industry norm." The industry norm is cars with ICE, dealerships, extravagant advertising budgets, dials and buttons, over-wrought interiors, exteriors with nonfunctional scoops and detailing, features that are complete and not upgradable, builtin obsolescence, and ho-hum new model introductions with no 500K pre-orders. Tesla breaks the mold with its model 3. Tesla is an industry norm disrupter. If someone is easily frustrated by something that is not the industry norm, it is probably better to look at something other than a beta model 3.

Update. SC still does not have a timetable on when I can pickup my car. Their reply this morning : "Hi Adam, working with my parts team and Mangers to get an eta on the part. Also asking if you would be able to drive the Model 3 while we wait for part if it will be long." then this afternoon "Hi Adam, ETA still says to be determined. I will partner with my foreman and parts team tomorrow."
They are keeping everything close to the chest on this. Yesterday everyone was buzzing about this urgent alert. Doesn't this seem strange?
Sounds very frustrating. I’ve found that their lack of communication is maddening, hopefully it it’s the entirety of Tesla but specific SC. They picked my car up last Friday to repair a minor dent I found at delivery and I still haven’t heard back, I was told “a couple days.” Called twice yesterday, got ahold of someone at noon who said a Sevice Advisor would call me back. Around 5pm I called again after not hearing from them and it rang and rang and went to voicemail. I don’t mind if it takes longer than you expected...as long as you let me know, keep me informed. I’ll give them time to call me back today but I’m going to be calling them again if a few hours pass and more radio silence.

I have a refreshed 2016 Model S 75D with pano roof and, subjectively, my S has less wind and road noise above 65 mph than my Model 3 (VIN 39xx) — and I do not consider the S quiet compared to ICE luxury cars.

What is quieter on the 3 — and much appreciated— is the absence of motor whine. It is especially bad around 50 mph on my S. (And yes, my Tesla SC says my S motor whine is “normal.”)

In my view, Tesla is missing a huge opportunity. In addition to the car's many positive attributes, they should add having the quietest interior on the road. The goal should be eerie fast silence... or at least give buyers the opportunity to purchase the “quiet” package.

Reactions: dhrivnak
Have you tried this stuff on the Model 3 yet? If so, where did you install it and how did you make it fit just right?

Haven't received delivery of the 3 yet. Will evaluate the wind noise in it and then see if there are obvious fixes. My S has LOTS of places where wind can flow freely into panel gaps, and it's not too noisy for my tastes already. The plan is to seal those up and see if it gets even quieter.

One trick you can do beforehand is put blue painter's tape over the gaps and go for a drive to see if it helps. If you're systematic about it, you can find exactly which seams are noisy.

The stuff I linked to are for gaps you can access (like when you open the doors, trunk/frunk). You just tape it to the edge of the underside of the door/trunk/frunk. For sharp bends, you might have to make miter cuts.