TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model 3 Driver's Door - Help Identify Loose Part

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Cipe, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Cipe

Cipe Member

I went to open the driver's door on my 2019 Model 3 and as soon as I pressed the large part of the handle, I heard a part fall internally, inside the door. The door still appears to open and closes fine and the window operates fine. As I drove the car, I could hear the part sliding back and forth so I pulled apart the door panel and located the loose part. There were actually two parts but one is the end of a door clip. The unknown part is the plastic gear.

I've looked at some of the exploded parts diagrams that Tesla has made public but I don't see the other part. Can anyone help identify this loose part for me:

2. jdeus

jdeus Member

This just happened to me today. Any new news on this?

3. Petrlol

Petrlol Member

Any chance it's a gear from one of these 4 places, and it's still working because the other 3 are in place?
    upload_2020-1-2_12-2-1.png

4. Cipe

Cipe Member

Thanks for the reply. It’s possible. I assumed those were just pulleys without gearing for the window. However, Tesla’s exploded parts diagrams don’t seem to break down the parts of the assemblies so it’s hard to tell.

I did schedule an appointment at the SC in mid January and will report back what they say. Thanks for the help.

5. Cipe

Cipe Member

I wanted to follow up on this thread in case anyone else has this issue. The plastic gear is part of the door handle's soft close mechanism. If you look closely at the pictures I posted you can see a red colored oring between the two gears. This oring puts friction between the gears and allows the door handle to soft close instead of just snapping shut.

After finding that out, I remembered that on a few occasions prior to the part falling off, my door handle seemed to close too slowly like it was getting stuck. That was a precursor to the gear falling out. The solution was that mobile service replaced the entire door handle assembly. Hope that helps someone else.

• Like x 1