Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Driver's Door - Help Identify Loose Part

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to open the driver's door on my 2019 Model 3 and as soon as I pressed the large part of the handle, I heard a part fall internally, inside the door. The door still appears to open and closes fine and the window operates fine. As I drove the car, I could hear the part sliding back and forth so I pulled apart the door panel and located the loose part. There were actually two parts but one is the end of a door clip. The unknown part is the plastic gear.

I've looked at some of the exploded parts diagrams that Tesla has made public but I don't see the other part. Can anyone help identify this loose part for me:

View media item 120789View media item 120790View media item 120791

Any chance it's a gear from one of these 4 places, and it's still working because the other 3 are in place?
upload_2020-1-2_12-2-1.png

Thanks for the reply. It’s possible. I assumed those were just pulleys without gearing for the window. However, Tesla’s exploded parts diagrams don’t seem to break down the parts of the assemblies so it’s hard to tell.

I did schedule an appointment at the SC in mid January and will report back what they say. Thanks for the help.

I wanted to follow up on this thread in case anyone else has this issue. The plastic gear is part of the door handle's soft close mechanism. If you look closely at the pictures I posted you can see a red colored oring between the two gears. This oring puts friction between the gears and allows the door handle to soft close instead of just snapping shut.

After finding that out, I remembered that on a few occasions prior to the part falling off, my door handle seemed to close too slowly like it was getting stuck. That was a precursor to the gear falling out. The solution was that mobile service replaced the entire door handle assembly. Hope that helps someone else.

Reactions: Petrlol