Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 drivers door should stop car immediately upon opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our other car is a Mercedes GLC300. When I open the driver's door around 2-3 miles an hour, (as in entering the garage) it instantly stops the car. I think Tesla 3 should offer the same feature ASAP.

Twice, when entering my garage, I forgot to press the Tesla 3 Park button. I opened the driver's door, started to get out, and the Tesla 3 moved forward several feet.. If I hadn't been able to jump back into the driver's seat, the car would now be in my kitchen.

Someone from Tesla's customer service 800 line told me the car will automatically stop if you get out of the driver's seat, but my car conutes to roll several feet.

The Mercedes feature does not allow any forward roll. Tesla 3 should operate the same way. Older people like yours truly
need this feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RobbL
Model 3 will be put in park when you open the door. Page 44 in the manual:

Model 3 automatically shifts into Park
whenever it is determined that you are exiting
the vehicle, even when you shift into Neutral
before exiting. To keep Model 3 in Neutral, you
will need to activate Transport Mode

Many of us have done that by accident already, and I can verify the car will be put in park for you automatically.

As far as I recall the car does this. It will go into Park if 2 of these 3 conditions are met:
  • Seat Belt unclipped
  • No weight on driver seat sensor
  • Door open
I have noticed this occur when moving the car in the driveway, no seatbelt and lifting my butt out of the seat to get a view of where I am maneuvering.

• Helpful
Reactions: follow.johnny
As far as I recall the car does this. It will go into Park if 2 of these 3 conditions are met:
  • Seat Belt unclipped
  • No weight on driver seat sensor
  • Door open
I have noticed this occur when moving the car in the driveway, no seatbelt and lifting my butt out of the seat to get a view of where I am maneuvering.

It also goes into park if you have it on brake "hold"

Our other car is a Mercedes GKC300. When I open the driver's door around 2-3 miles an hour, (as in entering the garage) it instantly stops the car. I think Tesla 3 should offer the same feature ASAP.

Twice, when entering my garage, I forgot to press the Park button. I opened the driver's door, started to get out, and the Tesla 3 moved forward several feet.. If I hadn't been able to jump back into the driver's seat, the car would now be in my kitchen.

Someone from Tesla's customer service 800 line told me the car will automatically stop if you get out of the driver's seat, but my car conutes to roll several feet.

The Mercedes feature does not allow any forward roll. Tesla 3 should operate the same way. Older people like yours truly
need this feature.
If you have "creep" selected on, the car does not go into park automatically when the door is opened. This should be corrected. With it off, it behaves as described. Also when car is first turned on in a garage, the "hold" ( emergency/parking ) mechanical brake is still engaged after selecting R or D.

Ya, our Fiat does this. It's really annoying. Say you want to open the door to look behind or to the side while reversing. Oops, the car just slammed itself into park as you were going 3 mph.

Shifting into P is easy enough on the Tesla, and is always the same action (push the end of the stalk in), unlike the ill-designed ZF shifters.

-J

Our other car is a Mercedes GLC300. When I open the driver's door around 2-3 miles an hour, (as in entering the garage) it instantly stops the car. I think Tesla 3 should offer the same feature ASAP.

Twice, when entering my garage, I forgot to press the Tesla 3 Park button. I opened the driver's door, started to get out, and the Tesla 3 moved forward several feet.. If I hadn't been able to jump back into the driver's seat, the car would now be in my kitchen.

need this feature.

My Model 3 automatically goes into park automatically if I open the drivers door and I'm rolling at 1mph or so....and the car stops abruptly.

I'm not sure what you are saying.

It happens to me quite a bit as my unlimited car wash sticker is installed in the door jam instead of on the window - and I forget to come to a complete stop. Other car owners just roll through at 1mph with their doors open. I open my door and my car jerks like I don't know how to drive a stick shift. lol

I open my door all the time while backing into my garage because I have to park within a 6 inch area for me to open my door to be able to get out without the door hitting anything and the easiest way for me to gauge it is to have the door open. No creep on... If the car is "free rolling" it will automatically shift into park at some point to prevent a rollaway scenario though that "at some point" may be more than you would like. If you have any pressure on the accelerator pedal it won't go into park though.

need this feature.

I'm sorry. I read this as "I used the product improperly, and I need the manufacturer to implement another failsafe to protect me from myself."

Prove me wrong.