Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 drivers door should stop car immediately upon opening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I open my door all the time while backing into my garage because I have to park within a 6 inch area for me to open my door to be able to get out without the door hitting anything and the easiest way for me to gauge it is to have the door open. No creep on... If the car is "free rolling" it will automatically shift into park at some point to prevent a rollaway scenario though that "at some point" may be more than you would like. If you have any pressure on the accelerator pedal it won't go into park though.
I understand where your coming from, but if you have a situation like that might I suggest just hanging a string(s) from the ceiling as a "landing" guide. I have a similar situation and simply move until my mirror lines up with the breaker box. You can also use multiple strings to position anyway you need to. I also stapled a small square of carpet pad to the wall of the garage so if the door is opened too far it just hits the pad and won't get scratched or put a divot in drywall.

Last edited:
You can make a "range" like those used for ship navigation in narrow channels for left right alignment on the back wall of your garage aligned with you eyes. A "range" is two prominent markers, one above the other and one as far behind the other as you can go. Mine is on the wall and the front edge of a 10" shelf. You can make another one for distance looking out the side window or hanging a tennis ball from the ceiling so that it touches the windshield. I also put the stick-on chrome colored plastic door edge guards on. They don't look bad. I also put some foam insulation strips on the edge of a workbench that the door can hit. This system has about a 2 inch accuracy.

• Informative
Reactions: clostridium
I understand where your coming from, but if you have a situation like that might I suggest just hanging a string(s) from the ceiling as a "landing" guide. I have a similar situation and simply move until my mirror lines up with the breaker box. You can also use multiple strings to position anyway you need to. I also stapled a small square of carpet pad to the wall of the garage so if the door is opened too far it just hits the pad and won't get scratched or put a divot in drywall.

My point was to explain in a little more detail how the autopark function does and doesn't work. I just used my situation to illustrate that my explanation was based on actual use and not on theory or what the manual says. Yes there are all kinds of ways for me to line myself up without doing what I do, but that wasn't the point.