Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 drivers seat slightly loose

Candleflame

Mar 9, 2015
QLD, Australia
I have had a problem with my driver seat for a while. It's slightly loose unless the seat is moved all the way back.
When rocking back and forth in the drivers seat the seat moves maybe 2-3mm or so.

Tesla checked the seat and says that normal (passenger seat doesnt have this).
When the seat is moved all the way back it stops.
It's not a massively big deal but it can be annoying as it rocks back slightly under acceleration.

Anyone got any idea what is causing this and how to fix it myself?

Darwood77

Apr 24, 2019
Pennsylvania
Mine does this too. Service Center told me it’s because of the high torque that these cars produce. I thought that was an interesting variation on the standard “it’s within spec” response. Still annoys me to this day, though.

Wnuk

Jul 9, 2017
PA
Just had mine looked at today. They are replacing the seat with a new one. Mine is the seat back on the right side of the drivers seat that is slightly rocking.

DammitBeavis

Sep 22, 2021
Santa Rosa, CA, USA
My driver side seat does this also. they tried tighening a bolt, but it came back shortly. It rocks from the left front of the seat upwards with acceleration, or even just pushing on the floor with my foot. they ordered me a new seat, but I needed to approve an estimate of $2000+ dollars for the seat if they "determined it wasn't a warranty issue." so I balked. but I may take it back. it is frustrating. I've brought it up multiple times, and sometimes they say "cannot reproduce the problem."

I'm wondering if a little JB weld on the affected bolt might solve it.

Candleflame

Mar 9, 2015
QLD, Australia
my seat started squeeking so mobile service tech had a look at it and lubricated some stuff which according to him didnt fully alleviate the problem (it did however). He said the reason why it does it is because something is rubbing - and its rubbing because my seat bracket is broken and has to be replaced so I can make a service appointment for that.

Interestingly enough if the noise would have gone away he would have probably not advised replacement despite the seat bracket being broken. Im 99% sure this is also the cause of the moving seat!

Reactions: SanCarlosJeff

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC