Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 driver's side door won't open from inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After I installed the latest software update (last night), the driver's side door won't open from the inside. The other doors are fine. I tried with Driver Door Unlock mode both on and off. I tried a soft reboot. Same problem. Any suggestions?

In a possibly related bug with 2022.40.4: After the car (2018 Model 3) locks when walking away, upon returning it does not unlock the rear trunk lid from outside, and the passenger and back doors do not unlock from outside. The driver's door does unlock. Pressing the screen inside does not unlock the trunk. I can unlock the trunk outside by opening the app and touching Controls and OPEN above back window.

Correction:. It's in the menu. Go to locks and see if you have it set to driver door unlock mode.

I didn't even know we had this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The rumors are definitely correct it was changed significantly. Originally it didn't drop the window AT ALL and you had to push the door open through the rubber seal and chrome window trim. The door just unlatched and needed to be pushed. Then when you closed the door the window was still up and it would hit the chrome window trim. It did not drop at all.

I am very familiar with it. I damaged my chrome trim in 2019 because a passenger pulled it. Some passengers still find it first before the button.

It is nearly impossible to damage the window trim now.
Seems like it could have been designed better in the first place: Just have the pull handle on every door, set up so that the first pull activates the electric release with window down first while enabling a mechanical release on the second pull (similar to door handles where you pull once to unlock, second time to open). That way, there is no mistakenly using the wrong door open control, and no chance of damaging the window or trim when electric power is available, but a mechanical door open method is available and obvious if there is no electric power.

Or not use frameless windows in the first place.

Upvote 0
Seems like it could have been designed better in the first place: Just have the pull handle on every door, set up so that the first pull activates the electric release with window down first while enabling a mechanical release on the second pull (similar to door handles where you pull once to unlock, second time to open). That way, there is no mistakenly using the wrong door open control, and no chance of damaging the window or trim when electric power is available, but a mechanical door open method is available and obvious if there is no electric power.
That's similar to how the older Model S releases work, but it's less reliable and easier to break because it's electromechanical (you put wear on the mechanical part every time you use it vs the discreet manual release being rarely used).
Model S Owner's Manual | Tesla

Model S switched to a discreet button system like the Model 3 for the newer ones:
Model S Owner's Manual | Tesla
Or not use frameless windows in the first place.
Not an option given it's core to Tesla's design (and also many premium cars today use frameless). The current compromise works just fine, it's fairly hard to damage the trim now (only scenario I see that happening with manual release is releasing and pushing the door out in one continuous and rapid movement).

Upvote 0
I agree that it's difficult to damage the trim when using the manual release but it's certainly possible, especially with the car on a slope. And any scuffing is more noticeable with the newer black trim. So it's incorrect for folks to claim that this was "fixed" in software and the owner's manual and screen errors are now wrong.

What *was* fixed in software was an egregious flaw in which Tesla failed to ensure that the window was down anytime the door is open (as is done with every car built since 1982).

Tesla could have added a $0.10 sensor to the emergency handle which would duplicate/mimic the electronic button to nearly guarantee that the window would be down before the door started swinging, but they chose not to. In fact they doubled-down on the riskier method by removing that combo-style door handle from the Model S. Apparently they concluded that the risk of damage was small enough to justify the cost savings of an omitted sensor, but not small enough to go without the warning beeps and popup error message.

Upvote 0
That's similar to how the older Model S releases work, but it's less reliable and easier to break because it's electromechanical (you put wear on the mechanical part every time you use it vs the discreet manual release being rarely used).
In the previous cars that I have had (including those where the inside door handle was "pull once to unlock, pull again to open"), I have not seen a failure that could be attributed to the mechanical parts that release the door.

Upvote 0
In the previous cars that I have had (including those where the inside door handle was "pull once to unlock, pull again to open"), I have not seen a failure that could be attributed to the mechanical parts that release the door.
Not hard to find failures just googling it in a few seconds:
Driver side door won't unlock with double pull

In general, the more complex you make a design, the easier it will fail (much like the Model S's overcomplicated exterior handles). Doesn't get much simpler though than a separate button and a separate manual release (as it is on the front doors of all new Teslas today).

Last edited:
Reactions: APotatoGod
Upvote 0
I agree that it's difficult to damage the trim when using the manual release but it's certainly possible, especially with the car on a slope. And any scuffing is more noticeable with the newer black trim. So it's incorrect for folks to claim that this was "fixed" in software and the owner's manual and screen errors are now wrong.
You have a different definition of "fixed", which is why you got pushback. The way you wrote it implies there was no update to address the issue (which the update did, for practically all cases).
What *was* fixed in software was an egregious flaw in which Tesla failed to ensure that the window was down anytime the door is open (as is done with every car built since 1982).
My 1991 car doesn't have the window down anytime the door is open. I presume you mean for frameless doors? But that's not the case either, as some frameless doors don't use a window drop mechanism (they just open and close straight out), although those tend to be older designs (not as good for wind noise).
A Corvette C6 (2005-2013) also doesn't drop its window when the manual release is used.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...y-trunk-door-release-doesn-t-drop-window.html
Tesla could have added a $0.10 sensor to the emergency handle which would duplicate/mimic the electronic button to nearly guarantee that the window would be down before the door started swinging, but they chose not to. In fact they doubled-down on the riskier method by removing that combo-style door handle from the Model S. Apparently they concluded that the risk of damage was small enough to justify the cost savings of an omitted sensor, but not small enough to go without the warning beeps and popup error message.
By your own criteria, adding a $0.10 sensor would not "fix" the issue, because you still actuate the latch before the window is actuated. The only true "fix" by your own criteria is to have a two stage latch (like Model S did) where the first motion range does not manually actuate the latch cable (but rather the electronic release), and only when it reaches the second stage does it actually manually pull the latch cable. That ensures the window drop comes before the door latch release (as it does with the buttons currently).

The current fix is a compromise (just like adding a sensor would be) and seems to be good enough. Perhaps it handles 99% of the cases, the $0.10 sensor would handle 99.9% of the cases. But either way most people consider the current software to be a "fix" because it's way better than the trim being damaged most of the time with using the manual release.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'd argue that it'd be "simpler" to eliminate the unnecessary interior button and just use a sensor on the emergency handle instead. Plus, the door panel would look better and passengers would easily be able to distinguish the window switch from the door handle (imagine that!).

The emergency handle is already attractive, ergonomic, and intuitive. If they just added some texture, lighting and labeling, it'd be fully functional - triggering an electronic release with a slight lift and an emergency release when lifted much further. Plus, in an actual emergency it'd sure be nice if everyone already knew where the handle is.

P.S. I converted mine long ago by adding that $0.10 sensor and it's really nice. It's more ergonomic than twisting my thumb around and I never mansplain or scold any passengers - I just let them live their own lives.

Upvote 0
In a possibly related bug with 2022.40.4: After the car (2018 Model 3) locks when walking away, upon returning it does not unlock the rear trunk lid from outside, and the passenger and back doors do not unlock from outside. The driver's door does unlock. Pressing the screen inside does not unlock the trunk. I can unlock the trunk outside by opening the app and touching Controls and OPEN above back window.
Yep. After that update all of a sudden the passenger doors won't open from the outside. I have updated twice since then, rebooted etc. Nada. When I am in my 2018 M3LR, I used the voice command and it worked once. It has to be related to the automatic window reversal system recall notice I got. Because WHEN I say "Open the passenger door" it shows me that the passenger window is unlocked. NOT the door. Very frustrating as there is no OTA firmware update yet available to fix it.

Upvote 0
Yep. After that update all of a sudden the passenger doors won't open from the outside. I have updated twice since then, rebooted etc. Nada. When I am in my 2018 M3LR, I used the voice command and it worked once. It has to be related to the automatic window reversal system recall notice I got. Because WHEN I say "Open the passenger door" it shows me that the passenger window is unlocked. NOT the door. Very frustrating as there is no OTA firmware update yet available to fix it.
Check all the profiles (including easy entry) for driver door unlock and disable it. That fixed it for some people in another thread.

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem with my Model 3LR. It started happening last month after a software update. I wonder if it has to do with the Safety Recall I got in the mail in November. It says: Certain model year 2021-2022 Model S and Model X, model year 2017-2022 Model 3 and model year 2020-2022 Model Y vehicles fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard ("FMVSS") No. 118 "Power operated window, partition and roof panel systems."
On affected vehicles, a closing window may exert more force than is permitted by ("FMVSS") No. 118 by pinching a driver or passenger before retracting. An automatic window reversal system that does not comply may increase the risk of a pinching injury to the occupant.
At no charge to you, Tesla will deploy an OTA firmware update to ensure compliance.
There is a number to call if I believe Tesla has failed or is unable to remedy this defect without charge in a reasonable time Can call 1-888-327-4236 to submit a complaint.
It has been over a month now and so very frustrating. The ONLY door that will open when I get to the car is the driver door. Can't even open the trunk from the monitor. I can press the unlock button on the driver's side when my family needs to open the door on their side.
Getting SO frustrating!!!

Reactions: DR61
Upvote 0
I am having the same problem with my Model 3LR. It started happening last month after a software update. I wonder if it has to do with the Safety Recall I got in the mail in November. It says: Certain model year 2021-2022 Model S and Model X, model year 2017-2022 Model 3 and model year 2020-2022 Model Y vehicles fail to conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard ("FMVSS") No. 118 "Power operated window, partition and roof panel systems."
On affected vehicles, a closing window may exert more force than is permitted by ("FMVSS") No. 118 by pinching a driver or passenger before retracting. An automatic window reversal system that does not comply may increase the risk of a pinching injury to the occupant.
At no charge to you, Tesla will deploy an OTA firmware update to ensure compliance.
There is a number to call if I believe Tesla has failed or is unable to remedy this defect without charge in a reasonable time Can call 1-888-327-4236 to submit a complaint.
It has been over a month now and so very frustrating. The ONLY door that will open when I get to the car is the driver door. Can't even open the trunk from the monitor. I can press the unlock button on the driver's side when my family needs to open the door on their side.
Getting SO frustrating!!!
Try to disable Controls > Locks > Driver Door Unlock Mode in ALL profiles.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Upvote 0
Try to disable Controls > Locks > Driver Door Unlock Mode in ALL profiles.
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla
Yep. I did not enable it, so it must have happened with the update a month ago. So I wrote to Tesla support and they said: "From your description, it sounds like you may have Driver Door Unlock Mode enabled, which you can read about here."

I responded:
"Yep. Seems that got enabled and nowhere does it say....
OH, now when you are sitting in the car waiting to pick up your granddaughter, she can't open the passenger door from the outside!!! It doesn't say that in the description, so very frustrating. I had to look up HOW to open her the passenger side door and not have to remove my seat belt and lean over to that door. I found the option to long press the button on my door. But, when I go to my car the FIRST door I open is the passenger door so I can put my backpack on the passenger side.

I disabled Driver Door Unlock mode and picked up my granddaughter and she was able to get in without me having to do anything.
Please let the users know the impact of selecting that option and IF it gets automatically enabled with the update, make that not happen."

Reactions: DR61
Upvote 0
After I installed the latest software update (last night), the driver's side door won't open from the inside. The other doors are fine. I tried with Driver Door Unlock mode both on and off. I tried a soft reboot. Same problem. Any suggestions?
Did you ever get this fixed? I’m having this issue with my 2020 SR+ and I’m trying to figure out what’s going on (preferably without a SC appt). Thanks!

Upvote 0
Try opening all doors and closing them. There was a big this fixed, but I forgot which.
I tried this but unfortunately it didn’t work. Thanks for the effort though…I’m assuming I’m ok to keep using the manual “emergency” latch for now? The window goes down when I use it so I’m not sure why the screen pops up something saying possibility of window damage

Upvote 0
I tried this but unfortunately it didn’t work. Thanks for the effort though…I’m assuming I’m ok to keep using the manual “emergency” latch for now? The window goes down when I use it so I’m not sure why the screen pops up something saying possibility of window damage
It used to not pop down and people have damaged the trim, but they changed it in a software update a long time ago. There is still a chance of damaging the trim if you pull the emergency handle and push out in a continuous motion (such that it doesn't have time to drop), but that chance is lower especially if you are careful (safer to wait a second before pushing out).

Upvote 0