Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 dual motor long range/range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get about 320 Wh/mi in SF Bay Area, around town driving. It only gets better when I add freeway driving to the mix. Around town driving is very inefficient- even if it’s not cold by most people’s standards. I think that is about right.

If you get stuck in bumper to bumper freeway traffic, I bet it can be close to 400Wh/mi. it all depends where and what you drive in.

It only gets better when I add freeway driving to the mix. Around town driving is very inefficient- even if it’s not cold by most people’s standards. I think that is about right.

If you get stuck in bumper to bumper freeway traffic, I bet it can be close to 400Wh/mi. it all depends where and what you drive in.

Anything is possible, and driving habits matter, but most likely this is due to your HVAC use, even if it is not that much. You are in the Bay Area, so right now it would be substantial. Using HVAC pushes the optimal speed for range from around 20mph up to closer to 50-55mph (for very high heat use in frigid conditions).

This is because consumption adder is Wh/mi = (watts)/(speed in mph). So at low speeds it is a huge adder. As the speed becomes higher, the reduction in usage is countered by large increases in aero losses, and there are also diminishing returns in reduction in heat load from additional speed.

I'd expect your HVAC use in winter in San Francisco to add 150Wh/mi to your consumption if you're traveling at an average of 20mph (3kW). Probably your optimal speed is more like 40-50mph average.

Anything is possible, and driving habits matter, but most likely this is due to your HVAC use, even if it is not that much. You are in the Bay Area, so right now it would be substantial. Using HVAC pushes the optimal speed for range from around 20mph up to closer to 50-55mph (for very high heat use in frigid conditions).

This is because consumption adder is Wh/mi = (watts)/(speed in mph).

I'd expect your HVAC use in winter in San Francisco to add 200Wh/mi to your consumption if you're traveling at an average of 20mph.

Sorry, I'm a little confused. HVAC - meaning heat/HVAC? Or running both at the same time? It rarely gets warm enough (other than the last few weird weeks) to need the A/C part of the HVAC. It's usually heating. But I think the A/C is on even when the heating is on. I am so used to ICE cars that I always run HVAC when heating. Never really cared in an ICE car. Should I care now?

Is that the way it's supposed to be done?

Sorry, I'm a little confused. HVAC - meaning heat/HVAC? Or running both at the same time? It rarely gets warm enough (other than the last few weird weeks) to need the A/C part of the HVAC. It's usually heating. But I think the A/C is on even when the heating is on. I am so used to ICE cars that I always run HVAC when heating. Never really cared in an ICE car. Should I care now?

Is that the way it's supposed to be done?

HVAC is just a generic term. You may or may not be using the AC depending on need. Using AC is some additional load (2kW max). But the heat is the heavy hitter. If it is 50 degrees out and you set the heat to 70 in the car it’ll be around 2-3kW steady state (maybe less if it is sunny). Max for the heat is 7kW.

HVAC is just a generic term. You may or may not be using the AC depending on need. Using AC is some additional load (2kW max). But the heat is the heavy hitter. If it is 50 degrees out and you set the heat to 70 in the car it’ll be around 2-3kW steady state (maybe less if it is sunny). Max for the heat is 7kW.

OK ... got it. I really don’t use much heat these days - during the day. Its been abnormally hot for Feb. and temps have been at least in low 70’s during many days. So heat is minimal.

When I do lots of short trips around town, I get 320 Wh/mi. It even happens when I drive semi-granny. Lots of stop and go traffic - hitting every other block. This really drives up energy consumption. One pedal driving too. But when on freeway- efficiency improves a lot. Its this local town stuff that really eats up battery. I never expected it would be that bad. Luckily I have LR battery.

So heat is minimal.

You should try your entire drive with HVAC off (press and hold the fan icon, or just turn it off). It can be deceptive/surprising.

Also due to hills, only quote round trip results of course.

Using regen does drive up consumption of course. And to the extent your average speed is below 20mph, your consumption will be getting worse the slower you go, because the baseline constant load starts to hurt below that speed. It is just like HVAC but at a smaller scale.

Last edited:
Yes, the #s work out on paper, but..... I just don't get over 230 miles in range in the real world. I'll send a screen shot when I have one.

Just be sure to send screen shots of only a single, continuous drive, with annotation on initial miles at the beginning of the trip, and final miles. Any "since last charge" information can safely be ignored, as that information is only useful for determining how much energy you have used while driving, which isn't the relevant consideration, usually. Unless you are actually concerned about true range, in which case that is the actual relevant consideration.

• Love
Reactions: jjrandorin
yes. you will get no where close to the stated range.
I am averaging 260wh/mile and I'd be lucky if I can get 230 of total range. This is for a performance model.

LR AWD: I drive 120 miles round trip 4 days a week and I'm having no problem matching or even beating the EPA number.

In my case, its not very cold (I'm in SoCal), and I'm in slower moving traffic 50% of the drive, so my speed is limited to 15-30MPH for long stretches. The rest of the time I drive 75-80. My lifetime consumption is 223Wh/Mi over 11K miles.

I charge up every day, so I don't know how many miles I could ACTUALLY go on a single charge, but I have no doubt it would be in the neighborhood of 300 miles given the driving I'm forced to do.

To quickly illustrate the difference higher speed makes, my wh/mi is significantly worse on Mondays. Why? Because there's less traffic and I get to drive 75-80 my whole drive to work, and around 60% of my drive home. That alone takes me from the 220's to the 260'is or higher. Add in using the heater and I'm up to 275 Wh/mi easy.[/QUOTE

Yep, being in SoCal helps as its an excellent weather to get the best efficiency and depending on traffic helps a lot as driving at freeway speeds is not easy in rush hours at busy locations. i am at 23k miles myself and around 255. Traffic to work and back most of the way. I just set regen to normal and keep distance in front of me to allow rolling stop whenever possible. There are so many factors that contribute to efficiency that we all will get difference numbers. Keeping extra crap in your car, driving fast, driving in cold, driving using winter tires or summer tires, driving aggressively, having more than one person, driving in traffic, uphill, downhill and the list goes on and on.

I think 320 is a realistic number, but it will only be the case under specific cases, like an ice. City driving uses more energy, just like an ICE, so your range will be lower. In the city, I typically average between 280-320 WH/mile, so 320 miles range isn't going to happen there, and I don't care. I charge the car to 60% every day and only drive about 20-30 miles a day tops. On the freeway, I get between 220 - 260 wh/ mile, depending on the terrain. Plenty of range under those conditions. I typically don't break the law when I drive, so at <= 70m/hr the efficiency is OK when the terrain is relatively flat. In general, I have found the amount of attention being given to range on this forum to be annoying. Change the indicator to % charge and forget about it unless you are road tripping. The range on that trip meter is, at best, a rough estimate that depends on specific assumptions. Overall the range of the car is comparable to an ICE care, except it is a bit more temperature sensitive. Know that and enjoy the car. The only caveat is that, since superchargers aren't every ten feet like gas stations, you have to plan your stops more carefully. Other than that, its just another car (albeit the most technologically advanced, fun-to-drive and cool car that you can buy).
I’m definitely seeing much better range numbers for city driving in the Tesla than highway driving. Very much the inverse of driving an ICE vehicle. I’m guessing a lot just depends on location. We live in the second largest (by land area) city in Florida which oddly enough has no legal speed limit road higher than 55 within city limits. Our long range sleeper charges to 322 miles at 100% since the last update (310 miles before) and actual miles has been 340+ miles in the city (and yes, always with ac on in Florida) and around 290 miles driving over to Miami or Tampa (75-80 mph). Normal fast starts when first off light (does that urge ever go away?) and in stats app still showing a 104% driving efficiency overall. I always leave it plugged into the 14-30 outlet at home when not in use with 85% limit (100% before any longer trip). Still under 3000 miles on car though.

I have a 2018 AWD LR with just under 12K miles on it. I've been using the 18* wheels with aero covers on during winter and off during summer. I'm averaging 307 Wh/mi. driving mostly in the city though I've taken a few long trips of more than 300 miles. 4 days a week my daily commute is 15 miles roundtrip in town and once a week it's 90 mi. roundtrip on the freeway. I generally keep it between 65-75 on the freeway and I"m not a rabbit start kind of driver. It can get cold here in the NW, but even in the winter it's usually between 40º-50º (so, not very cold). I charge to 90% once a week and opportunity charge when I can in my parking garage at work. I have recently tried to be more consistent pre-warming the car, which does seem to help a bit with efficiency.

I do think there's an argument to be made for providing a more realistic mileage range for prospective buyers. The whole "it'll go this far if you drive without heat or AC when the battery is warm and the stars are just right" is kind of misleading. I'm not complaining about the car, just noting that as BEVs become more mainstream average buyers are going to be in for a negative surprise that might ultimately cause a backlash.

Reactions: brur
In the summer on my 15 mile commute to work where it's mostly 40-55 mph, I can get <200 wh/mi, I've hit 180ish sometimes, but usually it's in the 190's, no A/C usually, windows up, etc, now that it's winter, I get about 300/320 wh/mi, sometimes higher when it's really cold, HVAC on 68 degrees, seat heat on 2 bacons, driving pretty much the same way.

Car lives in a garage so battery doesn't get too cold when I leave my house, but when I leave work it gets cold and the number is very high and drops, and by the time I get home it's down to mid/low 300's. Winter/heater definitely kills the range.

Have a Dec 2019 LR. When I am in my commute (30 miles each way), I find that I seem to be consuming battery capacity at approximately the EPA rating. I think the key is that is I use TACC for 98% of that driving.

When my wife and I go do trips which are in No. California and mostly at 65-80mph, I am seeing that we are consuming about 150 miles for a 120 mile trip.

These number are very repetable whether my wife drives or I drive and we aren't using TACC.

I’m definitely seeing much better range numbers for city driving in the Tesla than highway driving. Very much the inverse of driving an ICE vehicle. I’m guessing a lot just depends on location. We live in the second largest (by land area) city in Florida which oddly enough has no legal speed limit road higher than 55 within city limits. Our long range sleeper charges to 322 miles at 100% since the last update (310 miles before) and actual miles has been 340+ miles in the city (and yes, always with ac on in Florida) and around 290 miles driving over to Miami or Tampa (75-80 mph). Normal fast starts when first off light (does that urge ever go away?) and in stats app still showing a 104% driving efficiency overall. I always leave it plugged into the 14-30 outlet at home when not in use with 85% limit (100% before any longer trip). Still under 3000 miles on car though.

It's probably do to speeds. higher speeds have lower efficiency. Your city driving is probably a lot lower speeds avg.