Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 dual motor tire rotation - do it yourself question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why do you say the M3 is particularly not friendly for tire rotations? From everything after this you appear focused on *any* car falling.
I haven't found lifting the M3 any easier/harder than any other car I have worked on.
Don't put words in my mouth. I said Tesla is not friendly to DIY tire rotations.
A $1000 quickjack is not a common DIY tool.

And yes, DIY tire rotations are a pain with a Tesla. Because you cannot lift a Tesla with a regular jack and set it down on a regular jack stand. You need to jump through hoops to use a single jacking spot per corner for both lifting and setting it down securely. Some of the modern ICE cars are getting to be annoying as well, with a ton of plastic parts covering up engine crossmembers, or pinch welds on the sides.

M3 is not DIY friendly for tire rotations. Do not trust a hydraulic jack to hold.
Don't put words in my mouth. I said Tesla is not friendly to DIY tire rotations.

You did say the Model 3. I guess you're focused on the DIY part? Again, as someone that has worked on BMW's, Audis, Subarus, Lotuses, I don't find it any different. They all have one acceptable jacking point, so you're always using a less than approved point for the jack stand after jacking. You can find equally unapproved but reasonable areas under a Tesla.

But of course, this only applies if you have the hard line in the sand that you have to use a jack stand for a 5 minute tire rotation when you don't get under the car. How do you manage to put the jackstand under the car without getting under it anyway, since you claim having your hands in the wheel well is the same as being under the car?

Wasn't saying a Quickjack was common or required- just very handy if you do it a lot. But if you're going to suggest everyone needs to spend $400-$800 on Jack Safes or Rennstands, then might as well get a $1K quickjack which is much more useful.

Reactions: SK360
FWIW, I have two inexpensive Harbor Freight jacks. I use them both together on the same side with lift pucks and jack them evenly to the same height. This approach offers some redundancy and you don't have to jack as high to get both wheels off the ground. The downside is the cost of a 2nd jack and having to store it somewhere. Having a spare jack is not a bad idea anyway though.

Had a brush with death this weekend. Glad I’m still here to post.

366C1767-B3A6-4CAA-AB0F-868EF3301C02.jpeg

DIY tire rotations are simple if you’re remotely experienced in basic mechanics.

I learned on my performance that the tires wear exceptionally even. So I’ve stopped rotations for now. (I have a lift, but it is not needed). I use the lift to get the tires up to a height where I don’t have to risk back injury.

So are we saying front to back same side is OK on a Dual Motor M3? or should I be crossing the fronts to the back, which would be trickier given the whole side of the car lifts from a single jack point.
Ooops...never mind I just watched a YouTube video that shows how to do the crossed front rotation. Its a simple third step to swap the rears after the front to back rotations are done (second jack required) Duh!

Last edited:
Wow all these years I’ve been swapping tires with one of those heavy duty low pro jacks from Costco. I’m always paranoid about the car falling so I put a tire underneath and only change one corner at a time. I haven’t attempted to change the tire on my SR+ since the shop had to mount the winters on the aeros.

Since mine is rwd, would it beneficial to move the rears to the front? I assume they would wear quicker.