Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 efficiency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does seem high. I averaged about 280 over a 300 mile trip in similar conditions last week 4 up. I also cruise at 70 or just over but it was not all motoway to be fair. The only thing I do to make it more efficient on long journeys is set the fan speed manually to 1-2 and turn on the seat heaters. I find this has a noticible positive effect on consumption without compromising comfort. No complaints from my passengers either.
My lifetime average is about 280 over 2 years 20Kmiles. Obviously a lot of short inefficient trips in there.
SR+ 2021 Q1 model. 220 wh/m, most of the time charged to 100%.

Reactions: Lord Farquad
A copy from my 500 mile day thread. This was about 90% motorway.

"So.....

Day done!

Just Landed back home(19.47). Managed to get a free charge at hop wood park on the way up, not on the way down!?

Last 150miles 277 wh/mi.

Basically it was zero issue at all, now that might just be the charging network, however as a 'tool'. the car did what it needed to.

The auto wipers are crap, as the last ones on the bmw and Mercedes I had worked perfectly. They were also consistent. the tesla wipers aren't. The ACC gets confused with cars around sometimes.

I went for this car for its charging network and motorway range. Today it proved me right on those metrics.

The ride is better on the motorway than on A roads, Seats are good(not as good as an E-class).

the first 250 miles were in torrential rain/soaking wet roads, overall average was 303 wh/mi. I think on dry roads, it'll do 260miles on the motorway.

long range/19 inch wheels/climate on the whole time"

I'm well impressed with the range on my Q4 2021 SR+. Done 1000 miles since picking it up and getting avg 240Wh/mi and with the new 60kWh battery around 230-240 miles of range although it's been quite mild temperatures this year. I normally drive 75-80 on the motorway. Was expecting to have a very reduced range at 5C but it doesn't really seem to drop much based on the journeys I've done.

With the LFP battery that you can charge 100% all the time, the lower Wh/mi it gets and now the bigger battery the SR+ is very good value!

Last edited:
In my 2021 Model 3 Performance I get :-

about 270 wh/m at 60 mph in Winter

about 315 wh/m at 80 mph in Winter

I've learned that I can get about 200 miles out of a full charge, having fun and doing pretty much whatever I like... without worrying about range.

If my journey is more than 200 miles, I need to stop dicking about and drive properly, with an eye on Supercharger landing site availability.

Edit : by the way, I still LOVE this car...

Looking at my Teslamate stats I usually get around 275-280 wh/m on long runs, at around 5°C temperatures. I usually have TACC set at whatever the speed limit is because, as has been noted, even 5mph over can make a significant difference to the economy at those speeds.

Oddly, I haven't noticed that carrying one or two passengers has made a major difference unless the journey has a lot of uphill bits.

Looking at my Teslamate stats I usually get around 275-280 wh/m on long runs, at around 5°C temperatures. I usually have TACC set at whatever the speed limit is because, as has been noted, even 5mph over can make a significant difference to the economy at those speeds.

Oddly, I haven't noticed that carrying one or two passengers has made a major difference unless the journey has a lot of uphill bits.
its not the number of passengers that makes the most difference its the gender and therefore the required cabin temp....

its not the number of passengers that makes the most difference its the gender and therefore the required cabin temp....

... ha, well in my experience it's not the number of passengers or gender... it's their age group.

Older mature passengers want a smooth comfortable transit...

Younger (yes, I'm looking at you Grandchildren) want a theme park rocket launch exit on every roundabout... followed by screams and again, again...

Alton Towers / mile (this should be a legit thing)

Reactions: Alex987854
Looking at my current stats, since the 6th of December I've driven 1,337 miles at an average of 247 Wh/Mile. (Average temp of 6 degrees). 70% or so of that has just been me driving alone with minimal luggage.

Today I took a 70 mile trip with two passengers, (~70% highway) and I averaged 219 Wh/Mile.

I tend to have my heating on ~21.0C on auto with auto heated seats, and I generally stick to 70 on the motorway unless traffic is going slower.

Old 19 SR+ lifetime (22k) was 249 wh/m

New Q421 SR+ lifetime (1k) is 244 wh/m

Today I drove 143 miles and averaged 214 wh/m. 90% motorway, quite a bit of rain, but really impressive winter 65-70mph efficiency. Seeing as the new car only has winter numbers so far, I think it's gonna average below 220.

Last edited: