Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

model 3 efficiency?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did 200miles, used 60kwh, showing 307wh/m. 28 miles remaining at this point

I was expecting a little better, long range awd model 3. what are other AWD users getting?

that was circa 120 miles of motorway speeds(75), a few bursts of throttle and using it like a normal car, so climate on etc.

everyone about the same?

This time of year, longish motorway trip, AP/TACC set to 70, climate/AC around 19C (comfortable) we would normally expect to get somewhere in region of 270-290Wh/mile. Throw pre conditioning to supercharge, then all bets are off. LR on winter tyres. SR+ should be better.

Reactions: Jason71
I did a 150 mile motorway journey at the weekend. I think it finished up at about 280wh/m. that was 4 people + luggage (which makes a difference).
Mine is a pre-heat pump car but what makes a difference is reducing the fan speed which limits the heat output. It was 3 degrees outside but with heat set to 20, fan set to 2 and feet only and using the heated seats it was perfectly comfortable and it makes a noticible difference to the consumption.
It was a bit foggy for part of the journey which limited the speed so that probably reduced the consumption a bit. Ended up using 2% more than the car predicted over the 150 miles.

I did 170 miles down the m6/m5 yesterday afternoon, in around 6 degree temps. Mostly 70-72mph TACC, with a few 50/60mph sections. AC set to 20. 238wh/m (LR 2021 with heat pump, 1 passenger). Fwiw I think it makes a pretty big difference cruising at 70 compared to 75/80

so its about right then?
for cruising at 75 probably. WLTP and EPA ranges are not calculated on a continuous motorway cruise at 75 in a UK winter.
There is a squared relationship between speed and energy usage so 75mph uses 15% more energy than 70mph. which is the difference between 280wh/m and 322wh/m

Last edited:
I did 170 miles down the m6/m5 yesterday afternoon, in around 6 degree temps. Mostly 70-72mph TACC, with a few 50/60mph sections. AC set to 20. 238wh/m (LR 2021 with heat pump, 1 passenger). Fwiw I think it makes a pretty big difference cruising at 70 compared to 75/80
238!! on the motorway? in winter? Damn, I need an upgrade. I can't get that in the summer. :(

I did 200miles, used 60kwh, showing 307wh/m. 28 miles remaining at this point

I was expecting a little better, long range awd model 3. what are other AWD users getting?

that was circa 120 miles of motorway speeds(75), a few bursts of throttle and using it like a normal car, so climate on etc.

everyone about the same?
Sounds about right to me. At 70 you will get a bit further and as others have said preconditioning before you leave will also help.

Cool. glad its on the ballpark. there's lots of short journeys in there also. Also included a bit of a 'race' with a bmw m4 which reached about 1.25 leptons :)

• Funny
Reactions: browellm
Cool. glad its on the ballpark. there's lots of short journeys in there also. Also included a bit of a 'race' with a bmw m4 which reached about 1.25 :)
I thought it was a bit on the high side for a single motorway journey but throw in some short trips as well and its not surprising at all. Short journeys in winter are a real range killer. Same as the mpg on short winter journeys in ice is poor. A five mile journey without preheating can easily hit 400wh/m at this time of year.

I thought it was a bit on the high side for a single motorway journey but throw in some short trips as well and its not surprising at all. Short journeys in winter are a real range killer. Same as the mpg on short winter journeys in ice is poor. A five mile journey without preheating can easily hit 400wh/m at this time of year.

yes it was made of multiple journeys, with about 120miles of it being at motorway speeds.

I can't remember properly....

1x 90 mile motorway round trip(45 each way)
1x40 mile a road(dual carriage) round trip
1x30 mile a road round trip(duel carriage)

The rest multiple 1-10 mile trips.

Drove home from Derby to Essex the other day. 5 Deg C. We supercharged at Leicester and the car pre-conditioned. We got 230 wh/m for the journey. I have to say I was really impressed with that. The day before going up, it was freezing fog and 1-2 Deg c. The car did about 310 wh/m.

Reactions: browellm
We looked at this last year: Average Wh/mi since owning?

There appears to be clear differences in baseline efficiency, strongly modified by your driving habits and weather:

1640168699344.png

• Informative
Reactions: HenryT
Pretty interested by this as I was a little shocked by the consumption over a long motorway trip from London to Scotland.

2020 (no heat pump) Model 3 LR with 19" wheels, charged to 100% and pre-conditioned before leaving, about 9 degrees dropping to 1 degree while heading north, 20 degree cabin temperature (on auto) and cruising no faster than 70mph. We started not navigating to superchargers to prevent pre-heating (the chargers were so busy and V2 that we were only charging 60-100kW)

In the end over 1100miles we averaged 322Wh/mile but some stretches (~160miles) were as high as 390Wh/mile

Unfortunately, for me, even in summer trying to do a round trip of 230miles is impossible (at 70mph)

Since the summer average trip wh/mile has increased from 248 in June to 268 today.
Return from LHR to Salisbury, 80 odd miles averaged 298. Better than the earlier drive up at 321.

I think that EVs should be advertised with a summer (25C) and winter (5C) WTLP number, and perhaps one at -10C.

Pretty interested by this as I was a little shocked by the consumption over a long motorway trip from London to Scotland.

2020 (no heat pump) Model 3 LR with 19" wheels, charged to 100% and pre-conditioned before leaving, about 9 degrees dropping to 1 degree while heading north, 20 degree cabin temperature (on auto) and cruising no faster than 70mph. We started not navigating to superchargers to prevent pre-heating (the chargers were so busy and V2 that we were only charging 60-100kW)

In the end over 1100miles we averaged 322Wh/mile but some stretches (~160miles) were as high as 390Wh/mile

Unfortunately, for me, even in summer trying to do a round trip of 230miles is impossible (at 70mph)
Does seem high. I averaged about 280 over a 300 mile trip in similar conditions last week 4 up. I also cruise at 70 or just over but it was not all motoway to be fair. The only thing I do to make it more efficient on long journeys is set the fan speed manually to 1-2 and turn on the seat heaters. I find this has a noticible positive effect on consumption without compromising comfort. No complaints from my passengers either.
My lifetime average is about 280 over 2 years 20Kmiles. Obviously a lot of short inefficient trips in there.