Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 efficiency

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It *should* have very *similar* consumption.

Motors are technically different, but they should have similar efficiency
Ride height may be marginally different
Theres a rear spoiler but its a teeny tiny thing

I recently switched to 18” T Sportline wheels and Michelin PS4S tires for my 2022 Model 3 Performance. In real world scenarios I am seeing 23 Wh/mi better efficiency. However, in hypermiling scenarios it is actually pretty similar. I can get around 164 Wh/mi with both when trying my hardest. I get about 227 Wh/mi with the smaller wheels in real world scenarios and about 250 Wh/mi with the 20” UberHeavy wheels otherwise. However, our speed limits are limited to 60 mph where I drive most often so that helps too.

E788146C-AD5E-4264-BB61-9A004DDD68ED.jpeg

I recently switched to 18” T Sportline wheels and Michelin PS4S tires for my 2022 Model 3 Performance. In real world scenarios I am seeing 23 Wh/mi better efficiency. However, in hypermiling scenarios it is actually pretty similar. I can get around 164 Wh/mi with both when trying my hardest. I get about 227 Wh/mi with the smaller wheels in real world scenarios and about 250 Wh/mi with the 20” UberHeavy wheels otherwise. However, our speed limits are limited to 60 mph where I drive most often so that helps too.

View attachment 825278

What happens if you press the Reset lifetime button. Does it ask for a confirmation? Lol.

Wondering what difference you'd see if you throw p zeros on the sportline wheels. Push that pedal, leave the hypermiling to leafs and bolts. You plug it in at home anyway right.

View attachment 825278
Who's in the doghouse for re-setting the "Lifetime Do Not Delete" odometer reading 1,300 miles into ownership?

• Funny
Reactions: mpgxsvcd
Questionable. The spoiler probably adds drag. That is what spoilers usually do. Increased drag in exchange for more downforce. TANSTAAFL
Wings usually add drag, spoilers usually reduce it. This of course depends on the wing and or spoiler being actually engineered aerodynamic decices rather than aesthetic though and I have no idea which is the case here. It certainly looks like it would be drag reducing to my only slightly trained eye but that certainly isn’t reliable!

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
Wings usually add drag, spoilers usually reduce it. This of course depends on the wing and or spoiler being actually engineered aerodynamic decices rather than aesthetic though and I have no idea which is the case here. It certainly looks like it would be drag reducing to my only slightly trained eye but that certainly isn’t reliable!
With the lengths that Tesla goes to improve efficiency and range, I'm sure that if that spoiler actually reduced drag it would be standard equipment on all models. "Aero" wheel covers anyone?

It is on the performance model for my previously stated reason. To increase downforce. Many people track their M3Ps.

Reactions: afadeev
With the lengths that Tesla goes to improve efficiency and range, I'm sure that if that spoiler actually reduced drag it would be standard equipment on all models. "Aero" wheel covers anyone?

It is on the performance model for my previously stated reason. To increase downforce. Many people track their M3Ps.
I would be impressed if that flat spoiler actually adds any significant downforce if any at all.

Reactions: mpgxsvcd

It is on the Performance Model 3 exclusively for looks just like the 20" UberHeavy wheels and ridiculously stretched Pirelli tires. All of those things reduce performance but have a perceived "Better look". That is why they are on there.

Reactions: jackmott

You can increase downforce and reduce drag at the same time with spoilers. Now for the pedantic, the M3 isn't going to have any downforce at all, the spoiler is just reducing upforce really. At best.

I have a feeling that most of the efficiency difference with the performance model comes from those heavy ass wheels and the “sport” accelerator mapping, and of course the stickier tires.

After swapping in EV01+ wheels and PS4 tires, my efficiency improved by 7%. Comfort coilovers at recommended starting settings appear to have given me another 3-4%. Now my range is better than what the EPA rating suggests for a new LR, as long as I’m nice to it. Any improvements in efficiency disappear immediately when I stab the accelerator though.

I would be impressed if that flat spoiler actually adds any significant downforce if any at all.
Any wing adds downforce at least equal to the weight of the said wing.
Anything beyond that, is a gamble.
;)

I've never read anything from Tesla stating that the P spoiler has any aerodynamic benefits.
It is half-decent OK eye-candy, on all cars other than those painted black.

a