Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 eMMC dumps for bench testing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello people!

So recently I've started with running a Model S MCU on the bench. So what I wanted to do next was run a Model 3 MCU but damn these parts are expensive!

So my question: Does anyone on this Forum have a eMMC dump with a more recent version of the system so I could go ahead and attempt to run it on different hardware? I know that is possible because I've seen it before but I don't really have the opportunity to get a MCU rn. :)
Or if anyone had a spare unit that they would like to sell I'd be interested but I have to get money together. :D

Hope anyone can help me here!

Looks like a HW2.5 Model 3 MCU is only $250 on Ebay. HW3 is like $300.

If you're doing something interesting hit up GreenTheOnly on twitter. He appears to have quite the collection of MCUs from crashed cars.
I contacted that person and got redirected to ebay.

However I did manage to find a a eMMC dump file of the version 2019.20.4.2
The file itself isn't a file I know how to mount or flash. Its just called 2019.20.4.2.model3 and file explorer recognised it as a "MODEL3" file. Anyone knows how to flash or mount that?

I'm just now delving into this same thing. I had originally found the dump file for 2019.20.4.2 a while back and dockerized it so that I could load it on my computer without requiring any hardware, just to investigate the filesystem.

Using linux (there may be a windows equivalent, but I'm not entirely sure), you can use unsquashfs to turn 'model3' into the actual filesystem directory, like so:

> unsquashfs -d model3 ./2019.20.4.2.model3.zip

Which will create the filesystem within a model3 directory.

If you'd like to make this a bootable docker image, you can then run the following to make the image:
sudo tar -C model3 -c . | docker import teslafw/test

Then run the image and shell into it by running:

sudo docker run -it teslafw/test /bin/bash

From there you can try to run any of the executables, etc. I've attempted to use X11 Forwarding to get the QTCar executables to load and show the screen, but so far no luck.

I have a HW3 MCU and touch screen in transit at the moment to see if I can poke around further. At the moment with the docker image, there are too many registers missing (as expected) to do a whole lot. Plus, testing on my actual model3 is a little too risky 😅

Reactions: FoxIrate
I'm just now delving into this same thing. I had originally found the dump file for 2019.20.4.2 a while back and dockerized it so that I could load it on my computer without requiring any hardware, just to investigate the filesystem.

Using linux (there may be a windows equivalent, but I'm not entirely sure), you can use unsquashfs to turn 'model3' into the actual filesystem directory, like so:

Which will create the filesystem within a model3 directory.

If you'd like to make this a bootable docker image, you can then run the following to make the image:

Then run the image and shell into it by running:

From there you can try to run any of the executables, etc. I've attempted to use X11 Forwarding to get the QTCar executables to load and show the screen, but so far no luck.

I have a HW3 MCU and touch screen in transit at the moment to see if I can poke around further. At the moment with the docker image, there are too many registers missing (as expected) to do a whole lot. Plus, testing on my actual model3 is a little too risky 😅
Ohhhh interesting! Gotta try this!

Your interface probably doesn't turn on since the services aren't being started. I have found someone who messed with the interface externally aswell and made multiple scripts to run the services and one to mount the filesystem in a chroot

Link: Hacking my Tesla Model 3 - Software Modes - Tristan Rice