Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Energy Consumption Rate, Battery Size, and SC Charge Rates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Jeff N,

Sorry for being unclear. The question is not about the 220 EPA estimated range. The question is about the 310 miles unknown range. What kind of range is the 310 miles range? It is not EPA rated range and it is not EPA estimated range. What is it?

@Troy Before I forget about it, are you going to change the vehicle choices on your estimator? I'm still picking the 75 because I think it is probably closure to the M3 extended range. Thanks again for the estimator....It's provided some sanity for the past several months.

• Helpful
Reactions: Troy
That already exists on the sticker. Although it isn't exactly $/mi, it lists average annual fuel costs.
Also, cost / mile says nothing about efficiency.
The purpose of MPG and MPGe on the sticker is not to compare fuel costs, it is to compare efficiency.
I have yet to hear a better yardstick than MPGe for that purpose.
If the prices were standardized for the year the lower the number, the more efficient, the better. Pure from a cost perspective, that's what people care about most anyway.

If the prices were standardized for the year the lower the number, the more efficient, the better. Pure from a cost perspective, that's what people care about most anyway.

MPGe is hopeless. It annoys people that are informed, and confuses everybody else even more.

MPG works for ICE cars because it allowed a direct comparison: if your local gallon cost was X and you traded in your car for one with 20% worse MPG, your fuel costs are going up 20% if use remains the same. No such comparison exists for MPGe when trying to compare an ICE to an EV.

If cost is what people are concerned with, they have it.
The annual predicted fuel costs which is right on the sticker.

The MPGe is for efficiency. And frankly, I find it far more useful. I know of no one that is confused by it after they read the sticker, or I verbally give them the same information.

Again, if someone has a better efficiency comparison number between gas and EVs, I'm all ears. MPGe isn't perfect, but I haven't heard a better idea yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
MPGe is hopeless. It annoys people that are informed, and confuses everybody else even more.

MPG works for ICE cars because it allowed a direct comparison: if your local gallon cost was X and you traded in your car for one with 20% worse MPG, your fuel costs are going up 20% if use remains the same. No such comparison exists for MPGe when trying to compare an ICE to an EV.
Love your first line, but in the second you've fallen for the "mpg illusion". That percentage comparison only works if efficiency is reported in gallons/ mile, but not miles/gallon:
The MPG Illusion Website: What is the MPG Illusion?

• Love
Reactions: Zoomit