Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Energy Consumption

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a Model X owner that is interested in the energy consumption of my new Model 3 vs. my old Model X, I'd like to be able to analyze energy consumption graphs (like those available in the Model X). The problem I'm having is that I can't find much about energy consumption in the Model 3 interface...has it been added yet? If so, could you give me some tips for where to access it (and the best way to visualize the data)? If not, does anyone know if there are plans to make this information accessible to drivers?

Only energy consumption info is found on the bottom left of the screen (where the Camera/Charging/Microphone buttons are). You swipe that screen to the left twice (maybe thrice) and you should see Wh/Mile information.

There is an instantaneous power meter shown right below the speedometer on the Model 3 display. Currently, the bar is colored white when moving to the right of center to show acceleration, while it's colored green and moves to the left to show deceleration (regenerative braking). This is showing the kW of power going to the motor, but no units are shown on the indicator on the Model 3 display.

You can easily see this in the 0-60 run that DragTimes recently posted (jump to 2:30):

I really hope they add the consumption app to the Model 3 somehow. I love the past 10/25/50km graph and the trip graph I get when I enter a destination to the navi. You still get the percentage with the 3 but seeing the graph helps with anticipation. I think they just want to simplify it since most people buying the 3 eventually will be non EV heads not looking forward to hypermile. I really wouldn't mind an advanced mode which shows everything form kW instantenaous power to kWh remaining readings from BMS, battery module voltages etc.

I really hope they add the consumption app to the Model 3 somehow. I love the past 10/25/50km graph and the trip graph I get when I enter a destination to the navi. You still get the percentage with the 3 but seeing the graph helps with anticipation. I think they just want to simplify it since most people buying the 3 eventually will be non EV heads not looking forward to hypermile. I really wouldn't mind an advanced mode which shows everything form kW instantenaous power to kWh remaining readings from BMS, battery module voltages etc.
Me too!

(Please take note Mr Tesla ;-)

I guess its all about what you're into. To me, an energy consumption graph is only really relevant if you are either hypermiling or just into data. For me, hypermiling is totally unnecessary any more with these cars. I just plan on driving it...just like I would an ICE. Simpler is better. I don't need the distraction but certainly respect those that do.

Dan

I guess its all about what you're into. To me, an energy consumption graph is only really relevant if you are either hypermiling or just into data. For me, hypermiling is totally unnecessary any more with these cars. I just plan on driving it...just like I would an ICE. Simpler is better. I don't need the distraction but certainly respect those that do.
I agree with you, not much need to hypermile on a daily basis. But if I am on a long trip I may want to hypermile to increase range and energy graphs would be helpful.

We just completed a 14,000-mile trip around the country in our "S", and found the wh/mile display very helpful in gauging our ability to reach our destination -- not the graph -- just the "wh" figure 300+/-. It apparently gives a short term average -- perhaps the past 2-3 minutes. In demonstrating our "3" to a friend, I could not find such a display. Is it available?

We used the wh display to understand the effect of hill-climbing, drafting, high speed, etc on wh/mile. When it is 300, we can rely on the car's projection of range and % remaining upon reaching destination. If more than 300, we had to manage speed, drafting behind a semi to maintain our desired margin of range.

Yes! I found it, too. It's one of the trip odometer options-- Something like "recent". Using the dots to select "reset" you'll then get the next interval average. Not as convenient as the "S", but you learn over what exact range the reported number is averaging.

I have owned my LR RWD M3 for 4 months. I am a very conservative driver and have consistently gotten over 310 miles on a full charge. However, since the Version 9 update my range has decreased substantially when it should actually be better due to the increased regenerative braking. I drive the same routes every day and before Version 9 update(s) the car used approximately 237 Wh/mi which I was very very happy with. Now with version 9 the car averages over 268 Wh/mi driving exactly like I was before Version 9. This is quite disappointing. Not sure what Tesla did but it has really degraded the range in my RWD M3. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced an increased battery consumption rate in the RWD M3 since the version 9 update?. Note the weather both before and after version 9 update has changed very little.

I have owned my LR RWD M3 for 4 months. I am a very conservative driver and have consistently gotten over 310 miles on a full charge. However, since the Version 9 update my range has decreased substantially when it should actually be better due to the increased regenerative braking. I drive the same routes every day and before Version 9 update(s) the car used approximately 237 Wh/mi which I was very very happy with. Now with version 9 the car averages over 268 Wh/mi driving exactly like I was before Version 9. This is quite disappointing. Not sure what Tesla did but it has really degraded the range in my RWD M3. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced an increased battery consumption rate in the RWD M3 since the version 9 update?. Note the weather both before and after version 9 update has changed very little.

Hard to say - though the weather may have changed little, small changes make a difference and 237 to 268 isn't that large a change. If it rained, that would make things worse (but you're in Roseville, CA, I think...so of course it hasn't rained). Tire inflation pressures could change. Has the weather really changed very little? Even a little bit of use of the climate control (particularly the heating) will matter. So cool mornings where you have the climate control on could get you.

Try turning the climate control off entirely, check your tire pressures, and see what happens.

Regarding regen - if you're using more regen than you used to, that will hurt your efficiency (assuming you weren't using the friction brakes in any significant way prior to Version 9). Regen hurts efficiency, as compared to not using it (assuming you're not using your brakes in either case). Increased regen is really only an efficiency adder in hilly driving, where you are able to use it in a case where previously (with lower regen) you would have been forced to use the brakes.

Do you have passengers in the car more often now? I notice that when I’m driving solo, I get about 230wh/m (sometimes less). When I have my wife and kids, it’s around 270wh/m. The times when I measured, I was not running any climate control with generally the same terrain and speeds. Don’t look too close at these numbers, but consider instead that there’s noticeably higher energy usage with passengers. Maybe someone stowed a hundred Boring Bricks in your frunk without telling you :) you should check.