Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 energy usage while parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, for anyone who's interested. I've been forced to not drive my Model 3 for the entire month of March 2021 (and probably a bit longer). I had a pothole blow out one of my tires and I'm waiting to buy a replacement (I had already replaced original set due to wear and purchasedy replacement set from Costco. Unfortunately Costco has been "temporarily out of stock" on the Michelin Pilot Sport 4s for the entire month so far (I think it's because they're not buying them during their "BF Goodrich Sale", but that's just a guess on my part). Anyway, after I got towed home I plugged in and charged to 80%. On 3/1/21 at 10am I had 240 miles of range and I unplugged. As of 3/31/21 at 5:05pm I have 201 miles of range remaining (I only checked via the app so I don't have the % currently). 39 miles of range used (I'm estimating 13% used (so 67% left) which is about 10kw) in 30 days. My car is garaged and does NOT have sentry mode engaged. Just some real world data for anyone who cares. I know I'm probably paying more in fuel for this 1+ months of buying gas than if I had gone somewhere besides Costco to buy the same Micheline tire. But since Costco gives you a road hazard warranty on tires and there's less than 7k miles on it (I think I should get 60+% of my replacement tire back). It's the principle.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier and KenC
Multiple things can wake the car up. Sentry keeps it awake all the time but you turned it off. Every time you start the mobile app, tbe car gets woke up and will run 30-60 minutes before going back to sleep. Maybe you checked the app regularly? Otherwise, cabin overheat protection could also have run.
A sleeping car consumes around 20-25w of power while a car that's awake consumes 250-300w. You can calculate what power you should be losing using those estimates.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
So, 39 miles in 720 hrs, or 0.05miles/hr. According to Stats, the average drain rate is about 0.15miles/hr, but can vary quite widely from 0.0x to 1.2+ miles/hr. Of course, that's from a large population of Model 3 with different settings.
IMG_0043.jpeg

Looking at Gti's post, running the math, it would seem the OP's 3 is averaging roughly 13 watts an hour, if I didn't punch any buttons wrong.

Last edited:
Multiple things can wake the car up. Sentry keeps it awake all the time but you turned it off. Every time you start the mobile app, tbe car gets woke up and will run 30-60 minutes before going back to sleep. Maybe you checked the app regularly? Otherwise, cabin overheat protection could also have run.
A sleeping car consumes around 20-25w of power while a car that's awake consumes 250-300w. You can calculate what power you should be losing using those estimates.
Cabin Overheat Protection only works for the first 12 hours the car is parked.

Another cause of large, spikey phantom drain is the car waking up to charge the 12 volt battery through the DC/DC convertor.

My numbers are rough, from various posts and youtube videos I've seen. It can also change with software updates. I was just trying to give some numbers use as baseline. It does look like the OP spent only ~13-14w on average during that month, which is very low. The second post would have lost even less. Let's just remember that measuring "remaining miles", or even percentage, is not quite perfect. Battery temperature could change, the BMS could have recalibrated etc. It's an estimate of what happened.
To me, this looks very good, with no cause for alarm.

My numbers are rough, from various posts and youtube videos I've seen. It can also change with software updates. I was just trying to give some numbers use as baseline. It does look like the OP spent only ~13-14w on average during that month, which is very low. The second post would have lost even less. Let's just remember that measuring "remaining miles", or even percentage, is not quite perfect. Battery temperature could change, the BMS could have recalibrated etc. It's an estimate of what happened.
To me, this looks very good, with no cause for alarm.
Hi all, just so you know. I wasn't complaining. I was just giving out info to anyone who cared. I have everything turned off (eg. Cabin overheat). I did use the app to check the batt level approx once every 3 days. Ambient temp around 65° Fahrenheit. I will plug it back in once I can buy my replacement tire and have it installed (Costco still out of stock). No big deal, don't need any range until I can use it again.

Reactions: GtiMart
Hi all, just so you know. I wasn't complaining. I was just giving out info to anyone who cared. I have everything turned off (eg. Cabin overheat). I did use the app to check the batt level approx once every 3 days. Ambient temp around 65° Fahrenheit. I will plug it back in once I can buy my replacement tire and have it installed (Costco still out of stock). No big deal, don't need any range until I can use it again.

Just curious as to why you wouldn't just leave it plugged in? Even if full doesn't Tesla recommend just leaving it plugged in all the time?