Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do have to agree that if it's not proximity based, it is one of the very few things that would make me possibly reconsider my reservation. Especially if it's both oversized and requires being taken out of your pocket. I would also happily accept bluetooth-based proximity unlocking.

Car2go (smart car street-side car sharing program in various cities around the world) used to use a credit card like device to start and end rentals. While it wasn't proximity based (didn't make sense to start rentals while walking down city streets), you could at the very least keep the card in your wallet and then swipe your wallet against the verification reader. They since moved to smartphone-only trip starts and it's a lot less convenient.

Otherwise I absolutely love the idea of a keycard if it's something we could put in a wallet (credit card size), and allowed proximity unlock. If it's a little larger than a credit card, that is not as cool but still OK. I don't mind if I need to hit a little button (or in this case, push in one side of the lever) when near the car, but having to take something out of my pocket is a huge inconvenience and is completely against the idea of the buttonless start while in the car itself.

I've lived with manual unlocking / starting before on a car of course, but I might as well stick with an econo-EV and renting for long trips if starting trips is less convenient than my Leaf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lunarx
If it was proximity unlock, I think Doug Field would have had the card in his pocket not his hand.

It's likely NFC or some proprietary card reader technology such that you need to touch the card to the door handle area.

I rewatched the video and he didn't touch the card to anything on the dash as he sat down. So once the car is unlocked it's ON, as you might expect.

Last edited:
Zipcar has used a card for about a decade now. For car sharing applications it makes sense. For every day use, call me old school, but I want a fob.
Old school! (just kidding) I'm fine with waiting to see what they did. Having a fob with no keys (IE: the Model S way) always seemed a little silly to me and would've preferred a card with the proximity.
Lots have panic buttons on the key fob.
I always figured those buttons were commonly used to find the car. Tesla has the app for that.

Clarification: Most MEN carry a wallet. A lot of women carry a purse/handbag/shoulder bag etc...

Proximity fobs/cards work extremely well in purses/habdnags/shoulders, too :)

A good thing is that he didn't touch the card to anything on the dash as he sat down. So once the car is unlocked it's ON, as you might expect.

That actually does give me some security concerns, though. If your car is unlocked and you walk away for any reason, does that mean any thief can start the car with the brake pedal? Does that mean that a thief doesn't even need access to the key to start the car and drive away given a certain time window from the last NFC-like unlock? Can someone's young kid climb into the driver's seat and accidentally start/drive the car if the parent unlocked the doors then needed to go load groceries into the trunk?

If the card isn't proximity based, then it is reasonable that the car has no way to actually know if the key card is present or not when pressing the brake and starting the car.

I do trust Tesla to not make such a huge oversight here, so hopefully I'm just worrying over nothing...

It looks like it has ended up in the cup holder in all those photos and in the video. I hope it doesn't need to go there. I would love if I could keep it in my wallet to unlock via proximity and just keep it in my pocket while I drive! You would never even have to think about it.

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3
It looks like it has ended up in the cup holder in all those photos and in the video. I hope it doesn't need to go there. I would love if I could keep it in my wallet to unlock via proximity and just keep it in my pocket while I drive! You would never even have to think about it.
I'm sure it doesn't have to be there, it is just convenient. What is the point of cupholders if you can't use them because the "key" is there? Logically makes no sense.

Reactions: JeffK
Proximity fobs/cards work extremely well in purses/habdnags/shoulders, too :)

That actually does give me some security concerns, though. If your car is unlocked and you walk away for any reason, does that mean any thief can start the car with the brake pedal? Does that mean that a thief doesn't even need access to the key to start the car and drive away given a certain time window from the last NFC-like unlock? Can someone's young kid climb into the driver's seat and accidentally start/drive the car if the parent unlocked the doors then needed to go load groceries into the trunk?

If the card isn't proximity based, then it is reasonable that the car has no way to actually know if the key card is present or not when pressing the brake and starting the car.

I do trust Tesla to not make such a huge oversight here, so hopefully I'm just worrying over nothing...
No worries on those concerns.
Cars w/ Keyless Operation know if the Fob is inside or outside the car.
I believe they use triangulation from multiple sensors.
Car would have to be left on and running for someone to drive off in it.
For example, when you get dropped off but forget to pass the fob to the driver.
I believe driver gets a warning on dash that fob has left vehicle.

I doubt they would use an RFID type Card Device to operate the car.
Such items have questionable reliability & signal strength.
Too much risk of leaving people stranded by a malfunctioning card.

Also, if they did use a card, I'm sure there would be a slot, to park it, on that huge empty dash.

No worries on those concerns.
Cars w/ Keyless Operation know if the Fob is inside or outside the car.
I believe they use triangulation from multiple sensors.
Car would have to be left on and running for someone to drive off in it.
For example, when you get dropped off but forget to pass the fob to the driver.
I believe driver gets a warning on dash that fob has left vehicle.
That's how it works in our 2013 Prius V.
Robin

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx