Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reddit poster who called this 3 weeks ago had this to say:

Can confirm 100% Model 3 has a Key Card that is not plastic but a thick metal matte finish that you will swipe the card against the door panel for entry. The app on android and iPhone are the alternatives...

It was designed to be affordable to replace. Current fobs range from $399 - $499 to replace.
the affordable part is really the key (no pun intended). RFID access card in my building cost <$5 eacch when I bought them in packs of 10. I think those RFID cards are passive, so no batteries to replace, but they need to be close to the reader to use the RFID signal to power them, and they only have range of an inch or so. If the Tesla keycards are like those RFID card, there are a couple of minor downside (or at least things to get used to):

1) unlikely to have the range as a keyfob, likely no buttons for things like remotely opening the trunk, so remote operation needs to rely on smartphone app
2) can not fit easily in a small pocket in my running clothes like a traditional key fob, and a little too big to hang on a keychain with other keys

Maybe the Tesla cards could be something fancier, like with a mic, BT, battery, finger print reader, and induction charging built it. You can put it down inside the car on a charging pad to charge, and use BT to pair to your phone, use the mic to do voice command to remotely operate the car, and finger print reader to authenticate the user (maybe optional if you lend the car to someone else to drive).

No worries on those concerns.
Cars w/ Keyless Operation know if the Fob is inside or outside the car.
I believe they use triangulation from multiple sensors.
Car would have to be left on and running for someone to drive off in it.
For example, when you get dropped off but forget to pass the fob to the driver.
I believe driver gets a warning on dash that fob has left vehicle.

Oh yea, I'm familiar with a traditional proximity fob. My own car works exactly like that.

The worry/concern is that the key is seen out and in (this case) Doug's hands, and that it's taken out of pockets several times from RC shots. If it's a very short-range tech like NFC or RFID, then there's no way the car would be able to have those same safeguards with a 1-2 inch range.

A card form factor will be awesome, it will slip in the pocket along with the wallet and won't create a bulge or be something rattling around in my pocket. Awesome.

I also have faith that Tesla has thought about this for at least a couple minutes and didn't come up with something that only works within an inch of the door. If it didn't work from your pocket or purse I'd be exceedingly surprised.

What if each card has an access code to enable ...

the HUD.
What if.....

What if....

What if....the card is used to access special Model 3 diagnostics that only engineers and employees use to acquire data that Tesla does not want the public to be able to see because it's none of the publics business.

Or...... what if the card is used to signal model S drivers that the 0-60 times ( 1.5 seconds ) are so great that they shouldn't drag race the model 3.

Or.......maybe it has nothing to do with anything.

• Funny
Reactions: Lunarx
Oh yea, I'm familiar with a traditional proximity fob. My own car works exactly like that.

The worry/concern is that the key is seen out and in (this case) Doug's hands, and that it's taken out of pockets several times from RC shots. If it's a very short-range tech like NFC or RFID, then there's no way the car would be able to have those same safeguards with a 1-2 inch range.
BTLE could work in a keycard. Though I am not sure how long the battery would last. Plus it appears that the battery wouldn't be rechargeable...

Keyless entry is already standard in the Model 3's price segment. I'm sure Tesla wouldn't fall short of what others do. If anything, it should be done smarter or better than what currently exists.

Reactions: DR61
If it is a key card I hope it has the range of a fob without being too thick. Too thick just makes my wallet thicker and I hate that. Lack of range makes it really inconvenient to use if you need to rub your butt or purse up against the door in order for it to work. Or if you need to do the same to open the trunk, frunk, or charge port cover from outside without using your phone.

I couldn’t care less if it’s a card or a fob, as long as I don’t have to take anything out of my pocket to unlock and drive the car. I can’t imagine they would use a low range technology (i.e., RFID) that requires a physical touch of the card to the vehicle in order to work, unless it’s a secondary method of unlocking and the primary method is a smartphone. Your smartphone can connect to bluetooth devices without opening an app, so it’s definitely possible that your phone could work like a normal keyless entry fob.

It makes some sort of sense to offer an optional fob for people who don’t have a smartphone (or don’t want to use it), and have a backup RFID card for the situations where your fob or smartphone battery have run out. If it fits in your wallet then you would always have it with you.

No worries on those concerns.
Cars w/ Keyless Operation know if the Fob is inside or outside the car.
I believe they use triangulation from multiple sensors.
Car would have to be left on and running for someone to drive off in it.
For example, when you get dropped off but forget to pass the fob to the driver.
I believe driver gets a warning on dash that fob has left vehicle.

This is what screwed me one night with my wife's car. She had the keys in her purse and I dropped her and her mother off at a restaurant and went to get gas while they put our name on the list. It does beep when it detects the key isn't in the vehicle but I must have missed it. I got to the gas station, turned off the ignition and filled the tank. When I got back in is when I realized my mistake. I had to walk a mile in the Texas heat to get the key and a mile back. Let's just say this guy was not happy, or dry, during that dinner.

• Funny
Reactions: byeLT4 and Lunarx
are you saying like a slot to put the card in next to the steering wheel and the HUD comes online? Or more like a code to enter when you want to enter the maintainance menu but it then says "HUD UNLOCKED. ELON MUSK MODE ACTIVATED" ?? You know for that hud unlock upgrade which will come in 2019 but they have already put it in the cars.
The HUD hardware will be there, but not the firmware to enable it. That will come in maybe 3, at most 6, months after launch (or until there are at least a half dozen threads on the TMC forums complaining about that lying, unscrupulous Elon promising something that has yet to be delivered, while even entry level cars from other manufacturers have had HUDs since the 1990s). :D

• Funny
Reactions: Model 3
Awesome chance to write IFTTT code for your phone. If your phone is ~6 feet from the car, it'd open the locks. I hope someone does this. I'm too lazy, I let someone else reap the rewards. If you make millions, you owe me six pack of Guinness.