Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Living in a city where valet parking is a norm......

Are valets going to have to put stickers/sticky_tape on the key cards to separate and identify which car they belong to? Nowhere to tie on the ticket number.

I have my Model S fob it in a cover that has a keyring (given to me by Tesla). I imagine I'll get something similar for my Model 3 keycard (maybe something like in the above Amazon link).

Seems like the NFC card doesn't need to be a full size credit card. It could be the size of a supermarket keychain discount card instead. Or even smaller, like one of those square tags. Then you could just stick it on your phone (case) or whatever.

Even more possibilities (ring, wrist band, fingernail):

Last edited:
Seems like the NFC card doesn't need to be a full size credit card. It could be the size of a supermarket keychain discount card instead. Or even smaller, like one of those square tags. Then you could just stick it on your phone (case) or whatever.

Yup. Already 15 years ago I did prototype NFC card that was about quarter inch across. With lot of optimization I got the range to be about 3-4mm, so it wasn't that great in practice.

Not sure I want to leave a fingernail, or my phone, with the valet. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: JeffK
I cannot wait to see how often you have to force quit the app or restart the phone in order to get in. I have the Kevo from Kwikset on my cabin and the app was so disappointing that I gave up on having it run in the background and I just launch it when I get to the door and force quit when I am done. "...only way to be sure"

I will be unlocking the Tesla more than I do the cabin. Perhaps this will be good as it will force Apple to make a more stable platform so people don't get an android so their car works the way it is supposed to. Although I guess it could be the Kwikset app.

-Randy

What about just having a fob or card in the pocket and touch the car to unlock or lock? Wouldn't that be easier as you wouldn't have to hold the device or use an app at all?

Yeah...I'm used to that right now with my 12 y.o. car. However, its my understanding that the app runs in the background so when you are in range, the car unlocks....no need to touch the phone.

So..how does it lock without you touching your phone....just walk away from the car? Thus...you have to trust that the app is working? Hmm...I want positive confirmation that the car is locked before I start walking away..guess you have to touch your phone to get that confirmation. Its a step back and an inconvenience for me..arghhh.

For the issue of exactly how far away from the car you have to be to get it to unlock/lock, they could supplement the Bluetooth range with the ultrasonic sensors to get better sensitivity. They could also use ultrasonics and/or cameras to open the trunk when you are near or make some kind of gesture. That would be cool.

For the walk away locking, they could have a widget on your phone's lock screen that has a lock car button. Not a security worry if it's just a lock button. (If you're not paranoid or never lose your phone, unlock doors/trunk/frunk buttons would be nice options.) Either way, I'd like to hear a chirp or at least see the lights flash to confirm car is locked. I guess it could also vibrate your phone.

Yeah...I'm used to that right now with my 12 y.o. car. However, its my understanding that the app runs in the background so when you are in range, the car unlocks....no need to touch the phone.

So..how does it lock without you touching your phone....just walk away from the car? Thus...you have to trust that the app is working? Hmm...I want positive confirmation that the car is locked before I start walking away..guess you have to touch your phone to get that confirmation. Its a step back and an inconvenience for me..arghhh.

I suspect that when the car loses BT communication upon exit it locks, and you'll get an audible confirmation that it does. What makes people think there won't be an audible confirmation like every other car out there has?