Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think this RFID card is a master manufacturing RFID card used to unlock and move (operate) cars around the factory prior to final customer SW build. The final SW will ultimately pair a serialized key fob (with battery) to the final v1.0 shipping release SW. The cup holder location is probably just the RFID reader location.

When/If a Tesla key fob battery dies, our Model S can be opened and operated with specific RFID locations (similar to the RFID card).

Funnny. Will you cancel your reservation if it's not throw in your purse or jacket?
Having been on these forums for Model S, X and now 3 lunch I now know to expect insane speculation and impassioned debated about the most trivial things leading up to launch.... but this is the "peak showstopper comment" in my book!

Quite possible yes. Both my parent's Toyota and my wife's Honda allow you to get in the car without removing the fob from your pocket, and this would be even worse than an old fashioned fob, since a card is harder to dig out of your pocket than your keychain. The only reason to have a card is to be able to leave it unnoticed in your pocket. Note that I don't expect them to have been that stupid.

(Also note that by cancelling my reservation I will still be driving my old Model S, so perhaps that's cheating.)

• Funny
Reactions: Runt8 and EchoDelta
What if the point of the Card fob was related to the Tesla Network, ride sharing?

ZipCar uses a card to unlock the car. But then you need access the car's specific fob inside.

This way, everyone in the Tesla Network would have a Card, but it wouldn't work unless it was activated for the specific car.

No need to leave your normal fob in the armrest for the renter.

This. We know Elon likes to future-proof his technologies for his end goals as much as possible, and he thinks these cars will be able to be part of the autonomous ride sharing fleet, so it makes sense that they will introduce a card/app that will eventually store your profile and payment information and allow you to use the fleet.

Reactions: Alketi
The solution is obvious: Tesla will just use implanted RFID chips in the drivers' hands, so no need to use the card key... ;)

Company to install microchips in employees
A Wisconsin technology company is offering its employees microchip implants that can be used to scan into the building and purchase food at work.

What if the point of the Card fob was related to the Tesla Network, ride sharing?

ZipCar uses a card to unlock the car. But then you need access the car's specific fob inside.

This way, everyone in the Tesla Network would have a Card, but it wouldn't work unless it was activated for the specific car.

No need to leave your normal fob in the armrest for the renter.

I was thinking the same thing and in addition to that, if the card is NFC and most phones are NFC, it makes sense that most people could just use their phone as their key. And for ride sharing, versus having a card, the app would simply communicate with the car via NFC so your car would show up and the Tesla app would communicate with the car via NFC to tell it you're it's passenger.

Also did I mention NFC? :-D

Reactions: pmich80
I was thinking the same thing and in addition to that, if the card is NFC and most phones are NFC, it makes sense that most people could just use their phone as their key. And for ride sharing, versus having a card, the app would simply communicate with the car via NFC so your car would show up and the Tesla app would communicate with the car via NFC to tell it you're it's passenger.

Also did I mention NFC? :-D
As far as I am aware iOS devices cannot act like a NFC tag at this time (even with iOS 11 I believe they are only allowing the reading of tags not the other way around), so a bunch of folks wouldn't be able to take advantage of this.

• Informative
Reactions: Runt8
What happens if you have something on your keychain that you use everyday, like a ChargePoint mini card?

m-chargepoint-card-1.jpg

Honestly I think the card is either an ID proximity card for the building for the Employee. I have one to get into the building I work in.

I wonder where I would put my work ID card in the Model 3 when I get in mine......hmmmmm......" Oh I know......the cup holder.....that's a good spot"

OR.....its a proximity card to access Elevated Engineering information on the screen that's only Privy to Tesla.

I would like to review this thread on Saturday.

Honestly I think the card is either an ID proximity card for the building for the Employee. I have one to get into the building I work in.

(SNIP)

I would like to review this thread on Saturday.

Mr Garner's motion for adjournment is granted. We will convene again on Sunday after Mr Garner has had time to review this thread.:D

P.S. On my way to Chicagoland Thursday if I can bring any supporting documents for you...

Tesla can do whatever they want with the fob/card/whatever as long as

- The device can work independently. The smartphone app shouldn't be absolutely necessary for core functions like unlock/lock, start/stop.
- The device works like a traditional keyless entry fob. NO dumb stuff like tapping or swiping it against the car. If it is on my person or in my bag, I should be able to unlock the car and go (just like every other keyless entry/start-equipped car)
- If it is a card, small enough to fit in a wallet.

IMHO Tesla doing anything counter to those 3 points is a step backwards.

I'm pretty sure the phone will unlock via Bluetooth proximity and pairing automatically. Keycard will be backup in case you run out of battery in your phone or for valet.

Current app can't be compared because that unlocking is done via web and not local Bluetooth.

I'm pretty sure the phone will unlock via Bluetooth proximity and pairing automatically. Keycard will be backup in case you run out of battery in your phone or for valet.

Current app can't be compared because that unlocking is done via web and not local Bluetooth.

Well, I won't compare to the app, but given the amount of time it often takes for my phone to pair with the Tesla after I've gotten in, unless they have a better technology it will not be a pleasant experience.

• Informative
Reactions: cdub and Alketi
Well, I won't compare to the app, but given the amount of time it often takes for my phone to pair with the Tesla after I've gotten in, unless they have a better technology it will not be a pleasant experience.
Agreed. I use my key right now all the time as I'm walking across the parking let from 15 - 20 feet away to unlock the trunk so I can put stuff in it, or to unlock the doors so I can just open it and get in. I can do it by feel using just one hand. Anything less convenient than that is a step backwards, regardless of whether or not it's a fob or a card. The last thing I want to do is have to stand out in the rain for an extra few seconds while my phone negotiates with the car to let me in.