Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My watch uses a combination of Bluetooth and wifi to unlock my laptop, it’s seamless and quick. My headphones connect to my phone in under 1 second after being turned on. So I don’t think speed it going to be an issue.
So, as a non-smartphone owner, I wonder if such a watch would work with the Model 3. It's about the same size as a fob, right? Doesn't require a cell plan or anything? If so, I'm back in the race.

So, as a non-smartphone owner, I wonder if such a watch would work with the Model 3. It's about the same size as a fob, right? Doesn't require a cell plan or anything? If so, I'm back in the race.
I use an Apple Watch, which requires an iPhone. Rumor is the next Apple Watch will have cell data service which would possibly allow it to work without an iPhone (although I would bet an iOS device will still be required for management purposes). Also depends on Tesla making an app for the watch and Apple allowing proper access to Bluetooth on the watch.

An android smart watch might be a more realistic option in terms of hardware, but I doubt Tesla would make the app for it.

Missed opportunity for Iris scanning unlock with the driver's side B-Pillar camera.

Or facial recognition.

Eh, I think that sounds neater in concept than in execution. Besides if it opens based upon a bluetooth connection with your phone, you just have to walk up to the thing. I'd rather that than have to stick my face in the camera or something.

Either way they'd still need a physical card or fob so that other people can access the car (valets, service techs, car washers, etc).

Why not just buy a used model s?

Because I want a new car, I want AP2 (and I don't expect to find any AP2 equipped S anywhere near 3's price range yet), but more importantly I don't want a car as large as the S.

How many people with cars in this price range use a FOB as the normal way to open their car door, rather than a smart key system.

I sure don't.

If you get to the car, and it's unlocked because it paired with your phone when you were 50 feet away, that's better than every car not named Model S or X

-smak-

You can't ever leave the house without the RFID card because your phone battery might die / phone might break / etc. So you must carry two things whether it is your phone (I mean, most of us always take our phone) and keyfob or phone and RFID. Keyfob has all the range advantages of the phone (walk up and it unlocks) that the RFID lacks. RFID gets you nothing that keyfob doesn't other than being cheap.

Sometimes I turn off BT because I'm conserving battery power. Now I have to remember to turn it on before reaching the car. Sometimes the phone just decides to be buggy and not pair to things, and it needs a reboot. Now I have to stand around waiting on the phone to reboot if that happens.

Also, I don't trust BT/BLE as an authentication mechanism without an app doing encrypted communication (because spoofing a BT/BLE device is laughably easy), so that means the app has to be running in the background, consuming more power etc...

A keyfob goes years without needing a battery change, and it just works. I'd happily accept a regular non-Tesla style keyfob that doesn't look like the car, but I want something reliable that isn't big and bulky and a pain to use.

I think you're going to see it as a Bluetooth Low Energy (4.0) implementation that will have different characteristics than many people associate with BT. Shorter range, lower drain. They're being used for things like key finders, smart luggage tags, smart deadbolts.

It's very possible that you will have to signal an unlock, but it would be easy with a widget that you could access directly from the home screen.

You would not use Bluetooth in such a manner because the range is way too long. Anyone could get into your car from like up to a football field away potentially, just because the signal was there.

Then that is not acceptable. It is more trouble to get into the car using an app than what I currently do in my 10 year old Vibe. Or the car I had before that, or before that...

Reactions: Gtosnipey
Many people park within 50' of their home. If my car is in my driveway and I happen to walk in my house within 50' of the car it will unlock and without my knowledge? Sounds like a bad idea.
Damn, I didn't even think about this. Or what about for example I just saw Chris Rock and Dave Chappelle in Las Vegas. If you haven't been to a large comedy show recently there is a NO PHONE policy. You can't even have one there. They have introduced these new cases they give you upon entering, but its just an example. Haven't you ever went swimming etc and locked your phone in the car? I guess at this point you just have to carry that Vallet key thing with you I guess. Huh...