Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 entry via ... keycard & app. No fob.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if this has already been posted but I didn't see a thread about it and the pieces are now nearly undeniable.

It appears the Model 3 will use a keycard, not a FOB, for entry

A white keycard was previously spotted in a Model 3 cupholder.
Goy2P6RXhWaRRivVHf3yeK1WT7OdPniNLSUiLaxq2i0.jpg

Then 3 weeks ago a reddit poster confirmed the keycard as a mode of entry. Take this with a grain of salt, but he seemed quite adamant and specific. Model 3 access key card spotted? (Take 2) • r/teslamotors

Then a keycard holder was spotted in another Model 3 cupholder
ZMkCbvm.jpg

Then, in the just posted Electrek video, VP of Engineering Doug Field was spotted holding the same black keycard holder as he entered the Model 3...
uMn4yAH.png

eh, I have never seen a car with a panic button and I'm sure the trunk will pop open in the same way as any other car with a remote key. Unless you have a powerlift trunk it is completly irrelevant if you have a key with buttons, a card or a tesla amulet and chain to open the car. xD

I hope this is true, but I also hope that the card is small enough to fit in my wallet. The ones in the picture look to be too big for that. Would have to be credit card sized.
Look closer The first picture is the card, the other 2 are the case or leather folder.

I kind of like the card better, i hour the app is fast and maybe has a widget to leave on a home screen.

Last edited:
Makes sense;

1. Key fob bulky in comparison.
2. Cheaper easier to manufacture and replace.
3. 1 less thing to carry around, most people carry wallet with them when driving.
4. Can easily get multiple cards for rest of family or those you car share with.
5. No need to use battery.

I think it will be like chip and pin credit cards, no battery in it.

Reactions: electracity
Reddit poster who called this 3 weeks ago had this to say:

Can confirm 100% Model 3 has a Key Card that is not plastic but a thick metal matte finish that you will swipe the card against the door panel for entry. The app on android and iPhone are the alternatives...

It was designed to be affordable to replace. Current fobs range from $399 - $499 to replace.

Reddit poster who called this 3 weeks ago had this to say:

Can confirm 100% Model 3 has a Key Card that is not plastic but a thick metal matte finish that you will swipe the card against the door panel for entry. The app on android and iPhone are the alternatives...

It was designed to be affordable to replace. Current fobs range from $399 - $499 to replace.
I really hope this isn't the case and actual proximity keys are a thing for the Model 3. Like with my Model S, I don't care what the key looks like so long as it is small, light, and I never have to touch it or take it out of my pocket--seamless access and use is more important to the ownership experience than a negligible difference in replacement key cost.

Does anyone know if the current Tesla Android app allows you to put an "unlock doors" Widget on the homescreen? Or does the app need to be opened every time?
Unlock phone, launch app, wait for the app to connect to the car, issue command from app, and wait a sec for car to respond is how the dance usually goes. No widget--just checked and didn't see anything.

Unlock phone, launch app, wait for the app to connect to the car, issue command from app, and wait a sec for car to respond is how the dance usually goes. No widget--just checked and didn't see anything.
That's exactly what I thought (feared). Sounds like a 5-10 second dance, to wait for everything to unlock/launch/connect, depending on internet connectivity. Compared with reaching in my pocket now and pressing a button on a FOB without looking.

Reactions: ikjadoon