Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Experience with double-pane window update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d like to hear from any Model 3 owners who have replaced their driver & passenger side windows with the double-panel glass in a pre-2020 Model 3. I’d like to know what the cost was and what the sound experience was. Is the improvement immediately noticable? Worth the cost? My M3P is from Sept 2018 (s/n ~60,000), so it was not an early production unit that generated the first noise complaints (they made some soundproofing improvements early on). The noise is not bad but at highway speeds I’d like to see some improvement.

It's not really "double pane" glass like you'd find in a house or an old Mercedes. It's laminated glass, exactly like the windshield, roof, and rear window. I don't know that anyone ever claimed it was supposed to reduce road noise.

The glass makes it effectively impossible to break in to the car since the only windows that can easily be shattered are on the rear doors, which of course can't be opened by thieves no matter how much smashing they do.

It's not really "double pane" glass like you'd find in a house or an old Mercedes. It's laminated glass, exactly like the windshield, roof, and rear window. I don't know that anyone ever claimed it was supposed to reduce road noise.

The glass makes it effectively impossible to break in to the car since the only windows that can easily be shattered are on the rear doors, which of course can't be opened by thieves no matter how much smashing they do.

The door windows are not glued to the car like the windshield. Laminated glass is easy to break with the tools the thieves use. Once broken, a laminated door glass will fold away like a soggy pizza box because it’s not glued. Laminated glass actually makes a thief’s job less messy for them.

Neither if those have stellar reviews. Do they work?
I have both of them, I started with the roof which seemed the noisiest, that worked..
Then the door noise became more apparent, so I eventually got the door kit, that worked too.
So yes, these absolutely work.

The caveat is that it more noticeably helps at high speeds ( 80, 90+ ), faster the better.

Some people say it doesn't work because,
a. they are driving 65mph and lower - where there isn't much wind noise.
b. they are confusing road noise (lower frequency vibrations) from the tires with wind noise (higher frequency whipping wind sound).
These products do not help road noise.

Reactions: mdsco and ss71

Sorry, it is not the same as the laminated glass found in the windshield. It is acoustic glass. And you are correct that it is not like what you have in your home which is two panes separated by an inert gas for its thermal properties. This acoustic glass is designed specifically for wind noise reduction and the effect is quite noticeable.

If you take a look at the edge of the glass its construction differences are clear.

The door windows are not glued to the car like the windshield. Laminated glass is easy to break with the tools the thieves use. Once broken, a laminated door glass will fold away like a soggy pizza box because it’s not glued. Laminated glass actually makes a thief’s job less messy for them.
Have you ever watched a show like Cops where you see a cop hammering away at a side window with his baton and it won't brake. Then a smarter officer walks up to it with a spring loaded tool that has a sharp and hardened pin inside. Push it on a corner of the glass in it magically disappears. Side window glass is not laminated like a windshield. The lamination in the windshield is there to prevent the occupants being covered in sharp shards. Also to provide some continued support for the air bags. Tempered glass as you have in the side windows is designed to break into many very small pieces with relatively smooth edges.

Not sure how this applies to acoustic glass. BTW, to throw a curve I had a 2020 Nissan Leaf that had acoustic glass in the windshield! Worked pretty well.

Have you ever watched a show like Cops where you see a cop hammering away at a side window with his baton and it won't brake. Then a smarter officer walks up to it with a spring loaded tool that has a sharp and hardened pin inside. Push it on a corner of the glass in it magically disappears. Side window glass is not laminated like a windshield. The lamination in the windshield is there to prevent the occupants being covered in sharp shards. Also to provide some continued support for the air bags. Tempered glass as you have in the side windows is designed to break into many very small pieces with relatively smooth edges.

Not sure how this applies to acoustic glass. BTW, to throw a curve I had a 2020 Nissan Leaf that had acoustic glass in the windshield! Worked pretty well.
The model 3 windshield uses acoustic glass as well.
A1D2079D-B82D-4087-83B2-C39D8A8DA1AF.jpeg

Reactions: rpiotro
Give it a few more months and/or more time in the Florida sun and it will be 'within spec' (rattles, squeaks, clicks, wind noise and other case studies in the bad kind of automotive NVH).
Odd, South Texas heat hasn't done that to mine in 52k miles. I did have one rattle, but I found and eliminated it. Wind noise has been present and unchanged for entire 52k.

Reactions: Perscitus
Lots of cars have windshields that, in addition to being laminated as windshields have been for decades, have some sort of acoustic feature to reduce wind noise. You may find the word "acoustic" on the windshield marking, or a brand name for that feature (like "SoundScreen" on Carlex / Carlite windshields commonly found on Fords).