Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Extended Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
99% of aftermarket extended warranties are priced in a way that they offer a solid double-digit margin to the insurer.... take that for what it is - but "self insured" is nearly always cheaper.

I mean- virtually all insurance is priced in a way that offers a significant margin to the insurer. Otherwise they wouldn't sell the product.

Many folks still find paying that margin to be worthwhile for managing/locking down their own financial risk though.

Reactions: BooMan and XCare EV
I mean- virtually all insurance is priced in a way that offers a significant margin to the insurer. Otherwise they wouldn't sell the product.

Many folks still find paying that margin to be worthwhile for managing/locking down their own financial risk though.

true. it's worth calling out though that extended warranty policies are notoriously under-regulated and the devil is in the details re: coverage ...

with 8yrs on battery and engines and 4yrs bumper-bumper ... the need for extended warranties really only impacts folks who own their cars for a long time. between year 4-8 ... the costly repairs might be a new MCU or AC compressor... but that's all under $5k. very limited financial risk vs. paying $2k+ upfront or (worse) rolling into financing and paying interest on it as well.

Another factor to consider when purchasing an extended warranty is the cost of missing out on the return on your investment principal. For example, if you buy an extended warranty for $3,500 at the time of car purchase, assuming a relatively conservative 6% percent annual return on your investment, 8 years later that $3,500 would be worth about $5,600. So the true cost of your extended warranty is the initial cost plus whatever returns you would have gotten if money if had been invested instead.

Another factor to consider when purchasing an extended warranty is the cost of missing out on the return on your investment principal. For example, if you buy an extended warranty for $3,500 at the time of car purchase, assuming a relatively conservative 6% percent annual return on your investment, 8 years later that $3,500 would be worth about $5,600. So the true cost of your extended warranty is the initial cost plus whatever returns you would have gotten if money if had been invested instead.
Thats if you didn't roll your warranty into the loan. I typically roll the warranty into the loan because my return on capital is higher than the interest I pay so I'd rather take a slightly larger note than put out any money upfront.

Reactions: XCare EV
99% of aftermarket extended warranties are priced in a way that they offer a solid double-digit margin to the insurer.... take that for what it is - but "self insured" is nearly always cheaper.

Which is why I find it interesting that Tesla is NOT offering an extended warranty for the 3. It should be a cash cow for them, so why not offer it? Are they losing money on the extended warranties for the S and X?

Reactions: Gasaraki