Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 Extended Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Would you rather pay $205/hr for labor to put in battery. Buy your own. Jesus, you get a warranty on a 50, 60K car and you're complaining about a 12V battery?
Where are you getting that I'd pay for labor to put in the 12 volt battery? Tesla would cover the 12 volt battery under the 4 year warranty including labor. But mine has not died yet. And granted Tesla sells the battery for I believe under $100 and I have no problem installing it myself, but that is just another expense I have to pay on a $66k car (not counting tax and registration or insurance), so I don't like being nickel and dimed, especially because a part has had known early failure issues. And yes, I had hoped that the extended warranty would have covered the 12 volt battery too, but it doesn't so that isn't a thing now. What is a thing is spending thousands of dollars to warranty something that may or may not fail. And, one thing to note is that extended warranty years of coverage aren't extra years on top of how long you've had the car, it includes the age of the car. So, my car is 4 years old and if I go the 6 year extended warranty, that would really only give me 2 extra years of coverage.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Where are you getting that I'd pay for labor to put in the 12 volt battery? Tesla would cover the 12 volt battery under the 4 year warranty including labor. But mine has not died yet. And granted Tesla sells the battery for I believe under $100 and I have no problem installing it myself, but that is just another expense I have to pay on a $66k car (not counting tax and registration or insurance), so I don't like being nickel and dimed, especially because a part has had known early failure issues. And yes, I had hoped that the extended warranty would have covered the 12 volt battery too, but it doesn't so that isn't a thing now. What is a thing is spending thousands of dollars to warranty something that may or may not fail. And, one thing to note is that extended warranty years of coverage aren't extra years on top of how long you've had the car, it includes the age of the car. So, my car is 4 years old and if I go the 6 year extended warranty, that would really only give me 2 extra years of coverage.
Your Tesla warranty ends next month. They are giving you a 6 year extension to 2028. If you brought your car in to replace 12V battery AFTER warranty expiration they will charge you labor. Look at at any body shop repair. They charge down to the quarter of an hour I think. (Lawyers bill every 6 MINUTES!!).
So my basic thing is you seem to be stating that warranty expires, need 12V battery, bring it to Tesla and you have a $100 deductible for a relatively cheap battery. What you should really be concerned about is like what if your touchcsreen dies. Look around this forum. It would probably cost you 2K to replace it

I think partly it is but many have had a much louder sound with slow driving, not going over any bumps. I have had the same noise you hear when going over bumps before but it's not every time. I might just see what Tesla can do, unfortunately the closest Service Center is 2 hours away and since I can't talk to anyone over the phone there, I'd hate to drive all that way and then they won't cover it or just give me a temporary fix, like greasing it. The issue is big enough that Tesla made a revision to the control arms.
The fix is NOT grease. It don't work. Make appt via app, drive the 2 hours, getting that baby carriage squeak fixed

If you brought your car in to replace 12V battery AFTER warranty expiration they will charge you labor. Look at at any body shop repair. They charge down to the quarter of an hour I think.
Obviously my 12 volt battery wouldn't be covered after my Tesla warranty expires. They would charge me for the battery and labor, unless I installed it myself...which I can do. So I really don't understand your point. My initial comment was that the extended warranty would cost me a $100 deductible to replace the battery, that was when I thought they covered the 12 volt battery, but I learned that they don't so again this isn't an issue now. Not sure why you keep bringing up labor charges because if my 12 volt battery died today it is covered by Tesla for the battery and the labor, and again I have no problem installing the battery myself. So to sum this up, in a few weeks my Tesla warranty expires and if my 12 volt battery dies, I will have to pay Tesla for a replacement and then I will install it myself. I'm not paying anyone to put the battery in, so there are no labor charges.

Kinda pricey, but if something major when wrong, then that would be pricey also. My Tesla is driven 40k mi per year and my 2021 3LRAWD will be out of bumper-to-bumper warranty in about 3 months. I think I will forego the extended warranty and just pay for any possible repairs.
1668773991068.png

Kinda pricey, but if something major when wrong, then that would be pricey also. My Tesla is driven 40k mi per year and my 2021 3LRAWD will be out of bumper-to-bumper warranty in about 3 months. I think I will forego the extended warranty and just pay for any possible repairs. View attachment 875794
Look around the website how much repairs cost. Unless you make a really good salary one possible repair may eat up half of your above warranty quotes.
Sort of like do you get the colonoscopy or do you wait for stage 4 cancer? You pay for both but the latter one is very expensive. (Not wishing you ill)

Reactions: XCare EV
Not everyone gets colon cancer, and not every Tesla will require repairs within the covered warranty period.
I was using an analogy, maybe a bad one, and yes not every Tesla will require repairs but look at it this way. Are you going to buy a new Tesla every 4 years when the non-battery/drive train warranty runs out? I've excerpted Hyundai warranty (not saying you should buy a Hyundai) Tesla should really up their warranty limits

Warranty and Maintenance Coverage
  • Limited warranty covers five years or 60,000 miles
  • Powertrain warranty covers 10 years or 100,000 miles
  • Battery is covered for 10 years or 100,000 miles
  • Complimentary maintenance is covered for three years or 36,000 miles

Last edited:
I put in the app that there was squeaking and rattling especially on non smooth roads. They said it was common for M3. They used to grease joints but I think they replaced parts The app doesn't let you see the request ad resolution
Yep, they greased mine when I brought it in for tire replacement. A year later, it was waaaaaay worse that I didn't even want to drive my car. It sounded like some old jalopy and I was embarrassed. This time they replaced both control arms.

Look around the website how much repairs cost. Unless you make a really good salary one possible repair may eat up half of your above warranty quotes.

Spending a guaranteed $3-5k to avoid a potential $3-5k repair is rarely if ever good financial advice, statistically speaking.

Extended warranty companies exist to make money. Nothing wrong with that - everyone is entitled to make some money. But their whole business model is based on people betting they will be more unlucky than most.

Are you more unlucky than average?

Reactions: android04
Spending a guaranteed $3-5k to avoid a potential $3-5k repair is rarely if ever good financial advice, statistically speaking.

Extended warranty companies exist to make money. Nothing wrong with that - everyone is entitled to make some money. But their whole business model is based on people betting they will be more unlucky than most.

Are you more unlucky than average?
Cheaper than buying a 60K car for a 4 year warranty. And does Consumer Reports have Teslas near the bottom of reliability list carry any weight?

Cheaper than buying a 60K car for a 4 year warranty.
This statement is completely nonsensical.

And does Consumer Reports have Teslas near the bottom of reliability list carry any weight?

None. Other than raising the price of the extended warranty, the economic fundamentals don’t change a bit. Statistically you’re significantly better off taking that extended warranty money and putting it in a savings account to self insure.

It would be strange for a Tesla owner to purchase a 3rd party extended warranty. Extended warranties are marketed heavily (even in endless spam calls) because they are one of the most profitable types of insurance out there.

Just be clear, extended warranties are not warranties. They are insurance, plain and simple. You should only purchase insurance if you fear significant risk of a problem you are unable to afford. For example, your house burning down, or being sued for crashing into somebody.
You should not buy insurance for small things that you can afford. As noted, insurance is profitable and extended warranty insurance is extra profitable. Which means of course that the companies pay out much less than they take in. Over the course of your life, you will pay much more in premiums than you will collect. It's very unlikely you would pay less. So it's a gamble, and the house wins, even if sometimes the player wins. But if you can afford to handle the losses when they come, you are extremely likely to do better not buying, as long as it won't seriously hurt you for any given repair.

So if you're the sort of person who says, "If I get a $15,000 battery failure, that means I don't send my kids to college" then consider the warranty. If you are the person who would say, "I will have to take some money from investments, or maybe borrow some money on a home equity loan" you probably should not buy it. If you are say, "Oh well, that will lower the savings a bit" you definitely should not buy it.

Also buy the highest deductible you can get if you buy insurance, unless you are so poor that the deductible would seriously harm you.

Remember that an extended warranty is a form of insurance. On average, insurance is not worth the cost, or it wouldn't be offered. It only makes sense to purchase it if you can't afford to pay for something it covers.

or you're likely to use, like w/ say Fiat. Tougher Question is how likely w/ TSLA. Model S/X owners out of warranty here can comment, but 3 owners can comment soon too.

I like the fact that TSLA doesn't consider service to be a profit center, but that might change