Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3 exterior maintenance:

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am accustomed to polishing my car's exterior. A magnet wouldn't stick to the door panels or the hood. I take it they are not metal but some sort of plastic. Should I polish and if so any particular product recommended? Do I need to use a different product for the non-metal surfaces than for the metal quarter panels and the trunk. Thanks!

Reference the service manual and chassis drawings highlighting which metals and materials are used where (they have been floating around since late 2017, early 2018).

The door skins are aluminium, just like many of the other non-steel, non-structural components across the surface of the car. Bumper skins are of course plastic.

Reactions: AdamVIP
I am accustomed to polishing my car's exterior. A magnet wouldn't stick to the door panels or the hood. I take it they are not metal but some sort of plastic. Should I polish and if so any particular product recommended? Do I need to use a different product for the non-metal surfaces than for the metal quarter panels and the trunk. Thanks!
Here's a tear down. Long story short, most of the exterior of the car is steel, with the exception of the hood and doors being aluminum (and of course both front and rear bumper panels being plastic like practically all cars today).
Tesla Model 3 Teardown: Chassis, and Body - MarkLines Automotive Industry Portal

This diagram shows more of what the internal structure is made of (at least the earlier versions):
5dyii0y.png

Tesla Model 3: here's the alloy mix of the Model 3 body