Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Factory Tires Quality?

davidu406

May 21, 2019
Seattle
I have a Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor (18" Aero wheels) with 6000 miles on it. Just had a tech out to perform rotation and she noted that all of my tires were down to between 5/32 to 6/32.

Given that Tesla suggests replacement under 4, I am between 60-75% of the way to suggested replacement. This is with 6000 miles on my car!!

Does anyone else have common experience for short lifespan of the Michelin tires that come with the car? Also, any suggestions on better tires given that I will probably need to replace around 10,000 miles?

Thanks!

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
I have a Model 3 Long Range Dual Motor (18" Aero wheels) with 6000 miles on it. Just had a tech out to perform rotation and she noted that all of my tires were down to between 5/32 to 6/32.

Given that Tesla suggests replacement under 4, I am between 60-75% of the way to suggested replacement. This is with 6000 miles on my car!!

Does anyone else have common experience for short lifespan of the Michelin tires that come with the car? Also, any suggestions on better tires given that I will probably need to replace around 10,000 miles?

Thanks!

Stock Michelins are good tires for their purpose.

Check your toe alignment.

Report your lifetime Wh/mi.

4/32” seems a bit wasteful for replacement as they are only half worn at that point, 2/3 usable worn. Yours are about 1/3 worn, usable. But depends on local conditions for safe replacement tread depth. Looks like you’ll get about 15k out of the tires, if you don’t need to replace for winter safety.

Lots of threads.

zhu-

custom title
Oct 24, 2018
NJ
Is that measurement from the inside only or are the edges the same and what’s your PSI?

davidu406

May 21, 2019
Seattle
Stock Michelins are good tires for their purpose.

Check your toe alignment.

Report your lifetime Wh/mi.

4/32” seems a bit wasteful for replacement as they are only half worn at that point, 2/3 usable worn. Yours are about 1/3 worn, usable. But depends on local conditions for safe replacement tread depth. Looks like you’ll get about 15k out of the tires, if you don’t need to replace for winter safety.

Lots of threads.
Thanks Alan! How do I find my lifetime wh/mi (wh, anyway:))?

AlanSubie4Life

Efficiency Obsessed Member
Oct 22, 2018
San Diego
Thanks Alan! How do I find my lifetime wh/mi (wh, anyway:))?

Left hand pane, bottom "card", swipe right to bring up the "leftmost" card. Scroll down to the bottom. If you haven't reset any of the trip meters one of them should have your lifetime Wh/mi. You can rename them and say "do not reset" if you want to keep the info. You'll still have a trip meter for other use available (there are two arbitrary trip meters).

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier

rawrguthlaf

Apr 17, 2019
Philly
I'm at 22K Miles. Having new tires installed tomorrow because they all failed inspection. I did a rotation at 14K Miles. LR RWD.
My problem is due to over inflation. My conclusion from reading about this over time is the tires wear prematurely in the middle when at the stock PSI. If your treadwear is mostly in the middle, I'd suggest lowering the PSI to about 38-40 cold PSI.

Reactions: davidu406

C141medic

Apr 9, 2016
New Jersey

Thanks!
It looks like the tread depth on these OEM tires are only 8/32. Possibly why they seem to wear quicker because there isn’t that much tread to begin with. When mine wear out I’m going with General Altima RT 43.

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.j...odel+3&autoModClar=Dual+Motor+All-Wheel+Drive

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC