Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model 3: Fan running while parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed yesterday that the fan was running when the car was parked. I turned off the fan from inside the car. A bit later it was running again.

Is this normal?

Is this necessary to protect the battery?

What are the correct setting for the HVAC system?

Hello guys,

I've noticed the same behaviour in my car. This was not happening to me in other software versions. My car is in the 2020.12.11.1 update now. To clarify, I'm speaking about the HVAC fan wich is turned on by itself after locking the vehicle.

Hello guys,

I've noticed the same behaviour in my car. This was not happening to me in other software versions. My car is in the 2020.12.11.1 update now. To clarify, I'm speaking about the HVAC fan wich is turned on by itself after locking the vehicle.
Again (as stated by sduck) the HVAC fan runs when the air is humid to dry the evaporator so moisture doesn't build up on the coils and air filter then grow stinky mold. This was a problem and added in updates. Also you will see it happening more often/staying on longer as the humidity and heat indexes rise AKA: late spring/summer.

Again (as stated by sduck) the HVAC fan runs when the air is humid to dry the evaporator so moisture doesn't build up on the coils and air filter then grow stinky mold. This was a problem and added in updates. Also you will see it happening more often/staying on longer as the humidity and heat indexes rise AKA: late spring/summer.
Yes, I’m aware of the automatic hvac fan running a few minutes after stopping. However I’ve had the car parked now for a couple of days, next to other model 3 too, and this model 3 for whatever reason turns on the fan randomly. I’ve noticed it on in the morning a few times now even if we haven’t driven I recently. South Florida. Mornings are not that hot. Odd, it’s only one of the model 3’s which has been experiencing this.

Then I believe you should look at the cabin overheat protection setting. With the sun hitting on your car it doesn't take much for the inside to reach 100F. Turn that setting off if you really want the fan to stop, but know the consequences.
Thanks, it's off. Been off since they added the feature to the software. I'll double check to make sure though...